Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Well I think it does have relevance. Success in other markets will determine how aggressive he will be in other markets. If, for example, he couldn't secure enough money to build in the heart of the financial district in Toronto, then I'm sure he'll be much more wary about Charlotte (atleast from a condo sales perspective). Since no details have been released yet I'm not sure what else should be talked about in this thread.

Well, I'm just absolutely shocked that you chimed in. I clearly stipulated that it probably didn't have any implications for Charlotte. But things Trump are much-discussed on this thread. And I thought someone might be at least marginally interested.

You should not be shocked that as a member of the staff that I try to keep a topic, on topic. If you want to post something about Trump it would be nice if you commented on why you think it is relevant or interesting to the topic at hand.

There are like 4 different threads I could post this pic in at this point, but since we dont have too many views of the Goodyear site, here ya go.

4-17-07

77354102.jpg

What an impressive view this will be in a couple years with 2 Wachovia towers, possibly 2 Trump, possible Westin condos, and maybe even the parking lot behind the AACC will be developed.

^And that would be relevant to Charlotte because........

It's just about as relevant as anything else in this forum. A lot of "sources" and speculation from people with no connections to the development community. It seems like a fruitless effort to monitor these forums, since there's nothing of note being posted outside of "gee, that will be cool...".

I will tell you this: the Trump Organization spent years talking to developers in the Atlanta area about potential partnerships. Highly doubful something is imminent. Charlotte will most likely be a licensing deal, as it is with most of his mid-tier city proposals. Do you honestly think he would front his own money in Charlotte, when all of his most recent projects in South Florida were with the Dezer brothers, as is in Atlanta?

It's just about as relevant as anything else in this forum. A lot of "sources" and speculation from people with no connections to the development community. It seems like a fruitless effort to monitor these forums, since there's nothing of note being posted outside of "gee, that will be cool...".

I will tell you this: the Trump Organization spent years talking to developers in the Atlanta area about potential partnerships. Highly doubful something is imminent. Charlotte will most likely be a licensing deal, as it is with most of his mid-tier city proposals. Do you honestly think he would front his own money in Charlotte, when all of his most recent projects in South Florida were with the Dezer brothers, as is in Atlanta?

Well, I'll tell you one thing: South Florida is a bubble market, whereas Charlotte, currently, is not suffering real estate bubble issues. That might make a difference - less risk in Charlotte vs. South Florida.

Trump has certainly changed his product mix (developing vs. licensing) over the years to take advantage of his brand strength, however, Charlotte will not be a licensing deal. Also, in regards to the "front his own money" comment... Most developers use OPM for project equity and debt. Although a little more expensive than institutional money, it is still relatively insignificant in a $1B project. I feel strongly about Trump being the developer on this one, but one can only hope.

Keyword Search of this gargantuan thread did not produce a keyword I thought might have been mentioned... Parcel ID 12512102 is owned by FAISON-STONEWALL STREET LLC. The city's shrewdish real estate tycoon is sitting right here in the middle. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall if this one comes to a head.

In Today's "The Next Big Thing", Smith says sources say that the tallest tower in Trump's plans is an office tower in the 70 stories range.

If that's so, that makes much more sense than a 70 story condo tower in Charlotte. Trump may be wanting to add more office space to his portfolio.

http://www.charlotte.com/485/story/97776.html

I definately think that his project's main tower will be a office tower however it may have a residental component. I mean thats just my gut feeling. I am so excited to hear about this project I keep hoping I will get up and see a rendering on the cover of the Observer if this happens I think this might be the most important project if its the tallest in our city and that it will get national attention because its such a big project.

Edited by CLT2010

It might be a misprint and inconsistent with Trump's brand, but I don't see how "a 70 story office tower makes no sense". As Dougie alluded to, office space may nearly run out before projects like Wach are complete and the minor amounts added by our other mixed use projects to hit the market before then. Not to cite Dougie as an iron-clad source or anything, but I think we all know, and have pointed out here already, that office space is very tight in uptown and the demand has not dried up and shows no signs of drying up, so I don't get how 100% office makes no sense. And since the rumor mill has Trump putting up multiple towers, he can make one all office and still adhere to his style of mixed use development - it will just be mixed use at the site level, and not the individual building level.

70 story 100% spec office doesn't make sense. What's the biggest spec office tower ever built?? But like others have said, if a major tenent takes up much of that space moving to Charlotte, the office space available could be cut in half out of this building. Then that would make perfect sense, as there's much more info we are waiting to get announced for this project.

if you go to Charlotte.com doug has put up a blog and he answers questions. However the newest question is whether or not that the Trump project is real and he thinks so.

Here is the link. http://askdougsmith.blogspot.com/

"Some say they've even caught a glimpse of a proposed design for a 70-plus story office tower, which would "Trump" the city's highest -- the 60-story Bank of America Corporate Center." --- WHO IS "THEY" AND WHERE IS THEIR SPY-PHONE CAMERA?!?!

I think the pertinent question might be does Doug have more insider knowledge than certain posters here in this thread. It is conceivable that some of his knowledge is gleaned from threads like these (yes I'm out on a limb on that).

^^^^^^ As to 70 floors of spec and being rarely done, I did not know that, and will concede that it is a meaningful statistic, though just one parting question - were those other examples in demand intense markets? And the WTC towers each added close to 4 million square feet of space, I think the most we'd get out of a 70 footer here would be a million or so, so slightly different? Regardless, I want a "bet $5" button added to thread options dropdown. :thumbsup:

Edited by nowensone

I think the pertinent question might be does Doug have more insider knowledge than certain posters here in this thread. It is conceivable that some of his knowledge is gleaned from threads like these (yes I'm out on a limb on that).

i thought the same thing... judging from his writing - i'd say, no, he doesn't have more insider knowledge.