Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I was told today that they have 12-18 months before everyone has to be out

One group of property owners has at least 18 months, meaning that, at the earliest, that group's building won't even be demolished until October of 2008.

18 month folks will never stay that long. Blasting will rock them out of their chairs!

Pay more attention to the historic property demolition laws when speculating like this. Leases can be bought.

I can't discuss this further, but just watch and see. Maybe you're right... or maybe my "speculation" is undue.

How are you making the connection of this acquisition to any building project here in Charlotte?

I believe it was discussed on this forum before that some believe that Trump might have an anchor tenant already in place for his office tower? Someone suggested it was Deutsche Bank. This to me seems at least a little coincidental.

I have a friend who does some consulting for the attorney's office across from the Westin. I was trying to probe him for information but all he could give me was the word Trump had been passed around for a little bit, but he says the attorney's do not seem to be moving out anytime in the relative near future. But who knows, this could all change two months from now.

I have a friend who does some consulting for the attorney's office across from the Westin. I was trying to probe him for information but all he could give me was the word Trump had been passed around for a little bit, but he says the attorney's do not seem to be moving out anytime in the relative near future. But who knows, this could all change two months from now.

Trump Lite and Daugter in town today watching some golf during their last tour of Charlotte before saying yea or nea on the project. I say Yea is the word by the end of the month.

I am wondering how much effect a Trump pullout would have on CLT's current building boom. Furman's scrapping seems insignificant and due to legit reasons, but Trump backing out might singlehandedly put brakes on a boom, causing other developers to return to waiting mode or move on altogether. Does he wield that kind of power/influence?

I am wondering how much effect a Trump pullout would have on CLT's current building boom. Furman's scrapping seems insignificant and due to legit reasons, but Trump backing out might singlehandedly put brakes on a boom, causing other developers to return to waiting mode or move on altogether. Does he wield that kind of power/influence?

I don't see how. The boom was here before him. He was simply joining it. If he opts not to get in on the boom, why would the remaining boom dissipate?

The Trump Trio didn't rule anything out but did hint at the possibility of more million dollar condos. One thing Donald Jr. said I do like: "We tend to do things on a large scale," he said. "We tend to move quickly." By the way, not to be TOO off topic, but can you say wow? Is Ivanka single? :shades:

I don't see how. The boom was here before him. He was simply joining it. If he opts not to get in on the boom, why would the remaining boom dissipate?

That was actually the guts of my second paragraph which didn't get posted for some reason, but yes, the boom was here before him, and if he had never come in the first place the boom would have continued along unabated until it's momentum fizzled out. But the fact he is here has altered the nature of the boom, he has lent the boom a public name, "sponsored" it so to speak. That's not really true, but it is the reality for the masses who will learn of CLT from some announcement that "TRUMP is building in Charlotte!".

Economics should be the sole driver for economic booms, but I wonder how much economic booms are really driven through the sum of such things as national exposure (news, publications, etc.), sports, word of mouth, location, etc. Furman's withdrawal had legit economy of scale issues because it was a relatively small project, but a Trump withdrawal would not be due to reasons of expense with such a large project, but because he foresaw a cessation of demand or some similar problem.

Mind you, I don

Not accusing you of this, but I love the fact that there are certain people out there that are just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Frankly, cities often pick up momentum that becomes self-sustaining. Look at Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and cities like them. While they've had their ebbs and flows and various development patterns, they reached a size where critical mass was reached and development became more or less self-sustaining. People move to Atlanta who know nothing about it other than it's vibe and energy.

Charlotte has just begun a major development cycle. I think it's catching some of us by surprise because we've never really seen one before, at least not of this magnitude. It might signify the beginning of Charlotte's ascension to the next tier of city. Something that is quite feasible given our current economic condition.

What we're seeing might be a temporary hot streak, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

^ Yeah, I know it comes off that way and I don't mean it to, to be honest I am arguing against the "Cinderella midnight" mentality, but I first became alarmed when a few people here on UP speculated that Furman's withdrawal signaled a bust. While I think that is bogus, such opinions spread by the right people might actually be able to create a bust themselves, kind of like an altered "Wag the Dog" situation.

If trump can sell office space to Duke then I don't see how a new condo tower would push him away. He might however cut back the number of condos. Plus he probably knows how much effect he can have over a small (Not bashing Charlotte) market and realizes that in his case classical economics is true "supply creates it own demand." The question of whether or not to come may not change because of one condo, but the question might be what kind of building/s to build (if he builds). I just hope he doesn't sell himself like a brand and let someone paste his name to their building like ATL.

> People move to Atlanta who know nothing about it other than it's vibe and energy.

I think Charlotte has succeeding in reaching that point. People do move here without knowing what job they will find, or what part of town they'll live in. That's at least one "it" factor that most mid sized sities don't have.

> People move to Atlanta who know nothing about it other than it's vibe and energy.

I think Charlotte has succeeding in reaching that point. People do move here without knowing what job they will find, or what part of town they'll live in. That's at least one "it" factor that most mid sized sities don't have.

i have met multiple people here in charlotte that have done that. Only a few of those are from rural areas. Most are from up north looking for warmer weather, a job market, and a place full of young folks.

I agree, we have reached that point. The guy that formed my company moved to Charlotte with no ties to the city whatsoever.

More and more people are moving down here due to buzz, from what I can gather. Just look at Ivanka's answer to Doug - But, said Ivanka: "We noticed a lot of our college friends were moving here from New York to start families. "Now we see why they are coming."

I'm just a nobody, but this describes me pretty well. I moved to Charlotte because I had heard great things and visited once. I didn't have a job lined up (my wife had a job as a teacher lined up) and we knew nothing about the city, its neighborhoods, etc...we just winged it, based mostly on Charlotte's reputation.

More and more people are moving down here due to buzz, from what I can gather. Just look at Ivanka's answer to Doug - But, said Ivanka: "We noticed a lot of our college friends were moving here from New York to start families. "Now we see why they are coming."

such a backhanded compliment - really pisses me off

I'm just a nobody, but this describes me pretty well. I moved to Charlotte because I had heard great things and visited once. I didn't have a job lined up (my wife had a job as a teacher lined up) and we knew nothing about the city, its neighborhoods, etc...we just winged it, based mostly on Charlotte's reputation.

i moved from southern california and had visited charlotte once - i had a choice of about a dozen cities and i chose charlotte because of its rep and its vibe and i am happy i did every day