Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I know the Don has some bank account, but could Wachovia be financing or partnering, similar to Bank of America with the Ritz. Maybe trying to "TRUMP" them? :P

It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Wachovia may be committing to some of their condotel units and hotel keys also, like BOA and Ritz. They may also be bidding on other services like insurance and debt financing. This is all coming together now. I wish Trump would get down here to C'town and spruce up this place a little!

It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Wachovia may be committing to some of their condotel units and hotel keys also, like BOA and Ritz. They may also be bidding on other services like insurance and debt financing. This is all coming together now. I wish Trump would get down here to C'town and spruce up this place a little!

I like the idea that Wachovia and Trump may be working together on their projects to help them feed off of one another but I severely doubt WB will be owning any condo units in the Trump tower as they are building their own 40 story condo tower right across the street. I could see them committing to a few hotel units, but not on the scale that BoA is with Ritz.

Having these two mega-projects compliment each other on the street-level and maybe a little in their design elements. Here's hoping they don't make them too similar though as we don't want to have our Skyline looking like Detroit at one end.

They won't look similar. But S. Tryon will look like Dubai in comparison to N. Tryon.

(And N. Tryon is pretty darn modern already)

dubai_construction_2.gif

Now that may be a stretch :) But it's a good point with so many high rises going up in a small section...

They won't look similar. But S. Tryon will look like Dubai in comparison to N. Tryon.

(And N. Tryon is pretty darn modern already)

yep. a lot of modern, glorious glass and steel - on s.tryon. charlotte's skyline will be stunning in a few years (not that it isn't already).

Talked to a friend tonite who is close to those "in the know" on this--he says the Trump people have options to buy the property which will expire very very soon--he expects the deal to go forward so expect to hear something very soon--could not pin him down on when but he again stated that their options expire very soon. I asked him about the historic status of some of the property and he said that is not a problem...just a technicality in that the historic structures cannot be demolished until 12 months after they give official notice of their intent to tear it down.

Edited by guy4charlotte

Is that pic above somewhat representative of what Dubai's exploding skyline looks like?

~~yikes!~~talk about matchy-matchy!!!

Let's hope Uptown Charlotte never looks that severely matchy-matchy. The pic of Dubai makes me think that's what a commie-block beach development might have looked like, had the USSR survived and been successful.

Talked to a friend tonite who is close to those "in the know" on this--he says the Trump people have options to buy the property which will expire very very soon--he expects the deal to go forward so expect to hear something very soon--could not pin him down on when but he again stated that their options expire very soon. I asked him about the historic status of some of the property and he said that is not a problem...just a technicality in that the historic structures cannot be demolished until 12 months after they give official notice of their intent to tear it down. Also as part of the deal the existing tenants on the property get to stay on for 18 months...rent free (so maybe they won't mind the blasting so much)
I would be quite happy for Trump to take his glitzy pseudo classy monstrosity to another town if he is plowing down significant historical structures to create this project. Not that I would be surprised if this was the case. The city would give Trump carte blanche to knock down anything to please his company so the grand poobahs at CCP and City Hall can say we are "world class" now :rolleyes: Edited by voyager12

Talked to a friend tonite who is close to those "in the know" on this--he says the Trump people have options to buy the property which will expire very very soon--he expects the deal to go forward so expect to hear something very soon--could not pin him down on when but he again stated that their options expire very soon. I asked him about the historic status of some of the property and he said that is not a problem...just a technicality in that the historic structures cannot be demolished until 12 months after they give official notice of their intent to tear it down. Also as part of the deal the existing tenants on the property get to stay on for 18 months...rent free (so maybe they won't mind the blasting so much)

As has been mentioned in this thread on more than one occasion, making statements, not speculating, about terms that are definately contractual in nature could be harrmful to this project. How in the world could someone other than the seller, buyer and counsel know that a tenant is getting free rent? These are the types of comments that can kill a project if the necessary people are listening.

As has been mentioned in this thread on more than one occasion, making statements, not speculating, about terms that are definately contractual in nature could be harrmful to this project. How in the world could someone other than the seller, buyer and counsel know that a tenant is getting free rent? These are the types of comments that can kill a project if the necessary people are listening.

We have also said, several times, to leave the moderation to the UrbanPlanet staff and last time I checked, that does not include you. If you have a problem with something that someone has posted please let one of us know and we will determine if it should be posted here or not. In the future do not tell others what they can and cannot post on this site. I recommend to you, yet again, to read and understand our rules and terms for posting on this site.

Is that pic above somewhat representative of what Dubai's exploding skyline looks like?

~~yikes!~~talk about matchy-matchy!!!

Let's hope Uptown Charlotte never looks that severely matchy-matchy. The pic of Dubai makes me think that's what a commie-block beach development might have looked like, had the USSR survived and been successful.

hahaha, that is but one very very very small section of the dubai beachfront. search for the main strip of dubai - its a downtown boulevard named after a sutlan. every town on that strip (on both sides of the strip) is over 700 feet and all are very different in design. it is truly amazing what is going on in dubai and they are building buildings with some of the most innovative architecture in the world. i heard something to the effect that 20 percent of the worlds tallest cranes are in dubai. dubai is truly a breathtaking place right now

Unfortunately for everybody, my sister is working on the Wachovia complex rather than One Charlotte, Trump, or another unannounced project. She hasn't heard a thing about the Trump project either (outside of what is already public knowledge.) I wish she had been more specific from the get go. She at least promised to keep an eye, and an ear, out for anything happening on that side of town while she is on the block though.

hahaha, that is but one very very very small section of the dubai beachfront. search for the main strip of dubai - its a downtown boulevard named after a sutlan. every town on that strip (on both sides of the strip) is over 700 feet and all are very different in design. it is truly amazing what is going on in dubai and they are building buildings with some of the most innovative architecture in the world. i heard something to the effect that 20 percent of the worlds tallest cranes are in dubai. dubai is truly a breathtaking place right now

Never been there- but Dubai is also utterly unwalkable, poorly layed out, and completely choked with traffic. The way each tower and each development aims to be completely self contained, coupled with the "strip" style development, means that the architects of each tower don't have to (and don't try to) relate to their surroundings. Every single building on the strip in Dubai is built to be a "village in a tower" and a monument for the sake of a monument.

While I do appreciate that some of the towers in Dubai are very attractive, and that Dubai is dense...

Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai Is. Not. Urban!

It is a dream come true for the skyline and skyscraper fanboy, but the ultra eye-catching iconoclastic designs with soaring spires and (melo)dramatic setbacks would not work well AT ALL in a real urban setting.

Well to get back on topic the CBJ is reporting that Infinity Partners has approached LS3P, Little, FMK, and Smallwood to build a 70 story office/condo tower and a 40 story "companion" building.

That's great news. How tall would a 70 story, mixed use tower be? I know some of you seem to be pretty good at figuring that stuff out. I'd be interested to know just how tall you all think these 70 and 40 story towers will be?

I will try to help out here...

Office, on a 25,600 GSF plate at 40 stories with 13 F. FFLR to F.FLR height, 40 stories and approx 875K to 1MM sq/ft = approx 626 feet tall.

Res / Hotel, on a 22,000 GSF level with approx 300 hotel suites and 11 F. FLR to F. FLR height suites w/ approx 14 suite levels plus one lobby terrace + 400 condomeniums units on 54 levels at approx 12 F. FLR to F. FLR height, 75 stories and approx 1.2MM to 1.65MM sq/ft = approx 980 feet tall.

This of course is taking into consideration that they do in fact only build two structures that all parking is below grade.

Throw a spire on it and you're above 1000'.

Rock on.

I def. hope that if they come that close to 1000', they'll put something on top to break that ceiling. I realize that's somewhat petty, but it would be a nice boost to the city's psychie to know we have a 1000'+ building.

i dont know if i would risk the architectual quality and styling of a great building by putting on a spire just to reach 1000' i would be prefer a 850-900' beautiful building as opposed to a 1000'+ monstrosity of a building. while a 1000' tower could be a motivating point to other companies and firms to dream big and really extend our skyline upwards we all need to remember that this is going to the new crown of our city a building that will remind our everyone of charlotte so lets make it look good and do just as good a job if not better than the one caesar pelli did way back in 1992