Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Am I the only one that feels like this store is kind of the first snowball in an avalanche of coming development on Elizabeth?

I sure hope so. It seems like with or without the streetcar, that Elizabeth Ave is just about to hit that threshold where everyone else wants to start filling in the gaps and make it a neighborhood to contend with. There's quite a bit more there than we tend to give credit for: Visulite and Double Door (2 of the best music venues in the city IMO), Cuisine Malaya, Viva Chicken, 1900 Mexican, Custom Shop, Carpe Diem, a Paul Mitchell school, Crown Station, City Deli, now Earl's...it's definitely not nothing but there's a TON of room to build still and a few underutilized spaces *cough* former Elizabeth Creamery space *cough*

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

My fear is that Grubb waited too long to do anything in that area and he may have to wait a few years until the current glut of apartments are absorbed into the market. I have 0 doubt that Elizabeth will someday be a great entertainment district, but I think it'll be a few years away before anything gets started. Hope I'm wrong though.

My fear is that Grubb waited too long to do anything in that area and he may have to wait a few years until the current glut of apartments are absorbed into the market. I have 0 doubt that Elizabeth will someday be a great entertainment district, but I think it'll be a few years away before anything gets started. Hope I'm wrong though.

I really think Elizabeth would be benefitted more from entertainment than residential. It seems like it is a very walkable area.....add to that the streetcar (aka easy access for uptown residents) and I think this really has a potential to be a highlight of entertainment in the area. That's my vision anyway.....For those who are familiar with Columbus, Short North is an amazing area just north of uptown FILLED to the brim with fantastic shops, restaurants and bars and I would love to see Elizabeth develop into something similar.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

I really think Elizabeth would be benefitted more from entertainment than residential. It seems like it is a very walkable area.....add to that the streetcar (aka easy access for uptown residents) and I think this really has a potential to be a highlight of entertainment in the area. That's my vision anyway.....For those who are familiar with Columbus, Short North is an amazing area just north of uptown FILLED to the brim with fantastic shops, restaurants and bars and I would love to see Elizabeth develop into something similar.

I think Grubb's original plan for the area was really nice. I'd like to see that happen. It incorporated a Whole Foods, a movie theater, lots of retail space, and residential all together.

Just checked out Earl's....it certainly is expensive, but it has a great vibe and I think it is a perfect fit for the area. Walking down the street there.....it has INFINITE potential. Easy parking, ton of space to develop....I wish I was loaded and could spur development there. NoDa, Plaza and South End, meh. I am all on board the Elizabeth development train.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed that the restaurant lineup on Elizabeth Ave is impressive. Here comes another one. I have said before that the prospect of the Elizabeth Entertainment District makes me more excited than any other project in uptown. The potential is just massive...

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/passion8-join-already-impressive-lineup-eateries-elizabeth-ave/#.U-_l7YBdVXA

• 5 weeks later...

This is probably just outside of Elizabeth, so it can be moved if needed, but does anyone know what's going on at the corner of Monroe and Eastway/Wendover? The lot where the Boost Mobile store used to be has been torn down, the site's been torn up, and curbs have been poured. Seems like it's happened all of a sudden, and there wasn't a sign saying what was going to happen there.

This is probably just outside of Elizabeth, so it can be moved if needed, but does anyone know what's going on at the corner of Monroe and Eastway/Wendover? The lot where the Boost Mobile store used to be has been torn down, the site's been torn up, and curbs have been poured. Seems like it's happened all of a sudden, and there wasn't a sign saying what was going to happen there.

Yeah, it is going to be a Take 5 Oil change.  Here is the zoning page for teh site, scroll to attachments to see the proposed plans: https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00026

At last night's city council meeting, the city council approved 7th Street Progression Partners' zoning request to build a 95 unit housing complex on 7th street between Clement and Pecan. They had a rendering of what it will look like if it goes through, but I didn't get a good look at it.  Does anyone have that access to that rendering?