Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

I think that stretch of road could definitely use more lighting. I've driven through there at night several times and it can be difficult to see jay-walkers. Other than that, I'm not sure other changes really need to be made.

Dark conditions + alcohol + jay walkers + traffic make for very dangerous conditions.

I drove 7th night before last and I would agree that it could use more lighting (or at least better lighting). I think there would be widespread support for that enhancement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any update when anymore of the project is planned to break ground? It's sad seeing what is there in its current state. The site is ripe for something. I still think the proximity to uptown, plaza midwood, Elizabeth, and Myers park make this site so unique.

I still wonder if Whole Foods comes back to the original site, It's plausible.

Three questions for the neighborhood

1. Anyone know the timeline on the reconfiguration for pecan @ 7th to make it more pedestrian friendly?

2. Can the small building at the train tracks and pecan be retrofitted/zoned for a restaurant? I think a little neighborhood bar/restaurant would kill there.

3. What is going on next to the cooking uptown site??

I see so much potential with this neighborhood. I wish the city would give either central, 7th, Randolph, or providence a road diet. We don't need so many major arteries so close together compounded by the fact independence is a highway. My personal vote is for Central or 7th

The city and state considered a 7th st rd diet 2 years ago extensively at the neighborhoods request.  It was determined that it could not handle the traffic volumes and that losing the reversible lane was not an option.  Keeping the reversible lane was preferable to widening to 4 lanes.

Don't know about any near term improvements to 7th/Pecan.  Pecan and Bay (on the Chantilly side of the tracks) is going see an improvement that creates a more perpendicular intersection and completes the sidewalk gap there.  This should begin any day now I think

Don't know what is going next to Cooking Uptown/Hawthorne's Pizza.  The site sold a couple of months ago and obviously they just tore down the old house that was in terrible condition on the site.  Looking at the building permit, it may just be a bigger parking lot for CU and HP.  Sort of a shame but sort of needed.  Hopefully it is screened well on the sidewalk along 7th.

Speaking on Elizabeth, the JLB Partners development along 7th is moving along.  Foundation and bottom level of the parking deck for 1 building has been poured, and footings are going in for the other building.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to say, as a burger freak I would not mind another burger place somewhere as long as it truly trumps anything we currently have. In Atlanta for example, they have Yeahburger, Grindhouse, Farmburger, Flipburger, and more that I think are heads and tails above anything we have here, in very different ways though. I agree that nobody is struggling to find good sushi here though. 

• 5 months later...

Anyone know why the old house at the corner of Bascom and Weddington was torn down? It is diagonally across the street from the large JLB Partners project. It was a pretty cool old house built in 1900 according to the Tax Lookup page. The man who owns that house also owns the 2 others to the left of it, generating a pretty decent sized lot in combination.

That is a shame about the Victorian-era house.  From streetview, it wasn't an architectural marvel, but it still likely would have made a nice renovation.   This part of Elizabeth is densifying, so I am sure this is just piecing parcels for sale or development.

That is a shame about the Victorian-era house.  From streetview, it wasn't an architectural marvel, but it still likely would have made a nice renovation.   This part of Elizabeth is densifying, so I am sure this is just piecing parcels for sale or development.

There's "No Tresspassing" signs all over it in Streetview. That makes me question it as a structure, not sure why, but it does. Around here (Brooklyn) that means something is about to fall down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find a better thread for this since its a block off, but is this new? Expansion plans for Novant/Presbyterian for the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Queens, and Caswell. Hard for me to tell what if any is renovation to the existing hospital building there, but there are clearly plans for significant new construction too with future phases pretty much filling out the entire block.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2013/040-049/2013-043%20site%20plan%202nd%20rev.pdf

Since this is already bumped, the apartment complex they're building on 7th street a few blocks from Caswell/Pecan/7th has made huge progress. Looks decent. Drastically changes that area.

I would love if someone could take a picture. I've been very curious about this project. And *SHUDDER* at the word "Complex"

Edited by Guest

I would love if someone could take a picture. I've been very curious about this project. And *SHUDDER* at the word "Complex"

I think of "complex" meaning multiple detached buildings and surface parking, which this is not. Looked pretty urban and nice given the location that could have gone either way IMO. But there is a "7th Street Redevelopment" thread that this would probably belong in.