Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Tell that to Birmingham, AL, whose formerly dead downtown is now awash with hospitals/R&D and employment due to UAB's medical school.  

Great point MC. A good friend of mine is doing his residency there and would have preferred CLT any day. As I posted above, I'd rather have the city give incentives for a Med School than Corporate "headquarters"...

• 4 weeks later...

There are signs up for "Earl's Urban Provisions" (grocery store) in the former Small's space (beside the Visualite).

(Viva Chicken is awesome)

Sounds good! Did you notice any movement in the former Nofo space where the oyster bar was supposed to be going in? I haven't been over there in a while but saw some light work going on the last time, about a month ago. 

Sounds good! Did you notice any movement in the former Nofo space where the oyster bar was supposed to be going in? I haven't been over there in a while but saw some light work going on the last time, about a month ago. 

That is the space Earl's is going in.

Earl's is owned by the two women that own Carpe Diem.

According to a post on their facebook page, they'll be making a lot of homemade things in the store, including donuts.

I'm hoping it is more of an actual urban provisions store than Common Market, which I view as more of a beer store and bar with some novelty items.

That is the space Earl's is going in.

Earl's is owned by the two women that own Carpe Diem.

According to a post on their facebook page, they'll be making a lot of homemade things in the store, including donuts.

I'm hoping it is more of an actual urban provisions store than Common Market, which I view as more of a beer store and bar with some novelty items.

I heard about this a few months back from Bonnie, one of the owners of Carpe. It will be a true provisions shop with a foodie flare. There are tons of places like this in NYC that I Love. The way she described it made it sound amazing. It'll be like a more high end bodega.

Edited by Guest

What happened to Elizabeth Creamery?

I checked their facebook page and there have been no updates.

Last bit of public news about them just said that they were relocating a block away. I'm guessing they're done at this point. If they're not going to open up for summer, I doubt they ever will again.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Redevelopment of the former Todd's Flowers location is back.  3-Story Apartment complex, no retail but street entry units on the ground floor.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/072-088/2014-084%20site%20plan.pdf

Terrible that they are proposing no commercial at the ground level.  This should not be supported.  I'm sure that neither staff nor the neighborhood will support.  Hopefully Patsy will follow suit and require some amount of commercial space at the street level.

The neighborhood should have done business with Branch years ago when he was trying to put something together here.  As a result they have been left with dilapidated, rotting buildings, and will keep getting piece meal proposals like this that don't give much back to the life of the neighborhood.

Edited by UrbanGossip

The neighborhood never supports. They killed a mixed-use proposal here pre-recession that covered the adjoining strip center. Now, mixed-use is harder to finance.

Yep.  They missed a big opportunity when it was knocking.  I think they realized it a few years later when Winter put together the assemblage and rezoning down 7th that is under construction now.  They played ball on that one and got an ok project for it.  But the chances to get some good mixed use development up at the CBD area of Elizabeth are slim at this point.

Edited by UrbanGossip

^ As someone who owns property less than 1 block from this site, I'm supportive but do want to clarify a few points.

1)  There are permanent deed restrictions for the vacant land between the edge of Roy White's Flowers and house at the corner of 7th/Clement, that prohibit any use other than residential.  Therefore, except that relatively small frontage of this project where Roy White's is, the developer would not be allowed any retail.

2)  The original proposal mentioned above accomodated this by encompassing Visart/SubStation (but I don't believe Dollar General has ever been included in redevelopment plans).  The last proposal had fairly minimal retail, as it had to be concentrated to the far eastern end of the site. 

3)  Yes, the neighborhood was against it, though a fairly prominant land-use attorney lives on 8th St, sharing a rear property-line with this site.  I believe he had much to do with delays.

4)  Patsy Kinsey was against the previous project with/without retail.  She lives just 2 blocks away, and was going to support her close neighbors.

As a side note, Dan Clodfelter and Jennifer Roberts both live 1 block from this project.

The property is already zoned for drive-thru fast food development, or other auto-oriented development. Fight enough urban proposals, and eventually owners may just sell to suburban developers.

That right there would be a disaster for the neighborhood indeed.  And with independence going to freeway and destroying all those types of businesses, they will want somewhere to go on the east side close in.  There have already been some car lots open up a little further down Monroe - the old "First Stop Charlotte" gas station is now a used car lot.  The Oakhurst neighborhood should be worried...  I think that area around there has real potential to develop in the wrong direction.

Edited by UrbanGossip

It is distressing that they are not utilizing the TWENTY FIVE FOOT alley behind the property.  I am sure that the neighbors would prefer that they not use it, but the neighborhood would be better off.  Curb cuts on 7th need to be minimized.  Curb cuts are a hazard to pedestrian safety.  People have been KILLED in this exact spot.  Killed.  If this development cannot justify the use of the alley ( wider than most) at this spot (historically more dangerous than most) simply because of some NIMBYs (literally BYs), our plans to become a safer community for pedestrians are doomed.

Edited by archiham04

• 3 weeks later...

Earl's is kind of like Common Market.

Think of it as Common Market with class and money.

I went last night. It is really well done. A little expensive though, but that is because it is all really high-quality stuff.

I cannot think of Common Market with class or money

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 2

I cannot think of Common Market with class or money

Why would one want to?

Anyway I think the better analogy for Earl's is like a smaller collection of goods you'd find at 7th Street Market or a Fresh Market. I haven't been yet but have been keeping an eye on it, and think its really well done and a great move for the area. Can't wait to see Elizabeth Ave spring back to life. 

• Like 2

I cant wait to check this place out. With Healthy Home Market and this place opening up so close to me I am such a happy foodie!

They're sure taking their time with the Healthy Home Market. Can't imagine it'll be open before mid-September or October. There is still a good bit of work left to do in there.

Why would one want to?

Anyway I think the better analogy for Earl's is like a smaller collection of goods you'd find at 7th Street Market or a Fresh Market. I haven't been yet but have been keeping an eye on it, and think its really well done and a great move for the area. Can't wait to see Elizabeth Ave spring back to life. 

Based on my highly scientific assessment of their facebook pictures, I would peg them as a small Reid's which more of a focus on local and/or handmade gourmet than just gourmet.