Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

^Didn't Elizabeth residents kill a proposal to replace Roy White's Flowers with a mixed-use project that actually hid its parking deck behind street-level retail? Now that's setting an example.

Every proposal has to be analyzed on it's own merits or lack thereof, as the case may be. I was disappointed that I couldn't get a proposal through at Roy White and I agree that the neighborhood was unrealistic as to their expectations (or perhaps I was). Boulevard tried as well. Both approaches hid the related parking.

This deck on the other hand is built WITHIN the city's oldest park, Independence Park. Not even a related issue. Designed by John Nolen in 1904, Independence Park has never had vertical improvements constructed within it's bounds except those that are in keeping with it's founders wishes, that it be used for recreational purposes only. Both Memorial Stadium and Grady Cole qualify as recreational uses.

The land was donated by private individuals and their heirs have reversion rights according to the suit. Should it ever stop being used as a park, the land goes back to the donors heirs. In this case, descendants of E.B Springs and H. Brevard.

This deck on the other hand is built WITHIN the city's oldest park, Independence Park.

Yep, and so were the surface parking lots the deck is partially replacing. So what's the difference?

Indeed, Charlottetowne Avenue is built not only WITHIN the park, but BISECTS it. It's why it used to be called Independence Boulevard. Should that non-recreational structure be ripped up too?

really, what is the alternative here? is their goal to have it torn down at 80% completion? is this debate really about the land that it sits on or was that the alibi for an effort to keep the neighborhood small (which would be pretty silly, being at the intersection of 2 major roads, a community college campus, and an onramp for independence blvd)? i haven't heard any discussion of having that block rebuilt as a park or other recreational venue.

and yes, i am of the "it's very flawed, but better than what was there" opinion. there is some office space on the charlottetown side, which makes me feel slightly better about it, and it wouldn't have been an ideal spot for retail anyway.

Edited by nonillogical

From a building code/zoning point of view, a parking lot is quite different than a parking deck.

I'm indifferent. The parking deck is under-whelming from an urban aestetics point of view, but the pedestrian experience will be greatly improved none-the less.

I'm not too sympathetic to the tradiness of the lawsuit. I reported it imminent construction on here at least 6 months before vertical construction began.

As already noted by a few it was a little late for the plaintiffs to start this action. As the County attorney stated, the land was used for parking for more than 20 years and the neighbors claim of violation of land usage had to be made within two decades The judge agreed and the deck will be completed.

CPCC parking deck construction to resume

Edited by Urbanity

A comment on Helen Schwab's dining blog claims Dikadees is reopening in the old Anderson's space on Liz in a few months. They will serve breakfast,lunch, and dinner. A schedule that should meld well with Preysby across the street. I imagine that it's a rarity for a locally owned restaurant to move in after a Starbucks closure. With NOFO gone Dikadees is a welcome addition in helping the block get some momentum going again.

• 3 weeks later...

From a building code/zoning point of view, a parking lot is quite different than a parking deck.

I'm indifferent. The parking deck is under-whelming from an urban aestetics point of view, but the pedestrian experience will be greatly improved none-the less.

I'm not too sympathetic to the tradiness of the lawsuit. I reported it imminent construction on here at least 6 months before vertical construction began.

Article XIV, Section 5 of the Constitution of NC declares that "it is the policy of this State to conserve and protect its lands and waters for the benefit of all its citizenry, and to this end it shall be a proper function of the State of North Carolina and its political subdivisions to acquire and preserve park, recreations, and scenic areas ...... and so on

Perhaps the deck is not the issue central to the Plaintiffs. Perhaps the deck is instead a symptom of the real issue(s).

As already noted by a few it was a little late for the plaintiffs to start this action. As the County attorney stated, the land was used for parking for more than 20 years and the neighbors claim of violation of land usage had to be made within two decades The judge agreed and the deck will be completed.

CPCC parking deck construction to resume

I looked at this and yes, the TRO was lifted, but the underlying case has not been resolved. I noticed that the Plaintiff's have never made a statement in their own defense in the media. If not resolved, it will next go to a jury. The onus is on the defendants to demonstrate that the land in question has been acquired by adverse possession, a feat that is so much more challenging than what the County Atty. has outlined in the Observer.

Among other things the land in question must be held in an continuous, exclusive and notorious fashion. 20 years alone does not get the job done.

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/60494/

Article XIV, Section 5 of the Constitution of NC declares that "it is the policy of this State to conserve and protect its lands and waters for the benefit of all its citizenry, and to this end it shall be a proper function of the State of North Carolina and its political subdivisions to acquire and preserve park, recreations, and scenic areas ...... and so on

Perhaps the deck is not the issue central to the Plaintiffs. Perhaps the deck is instead a symptom of the real issue(s).

The issue here is that we have decided to put some emphasis on educating tens of thousands of kids who have made some very positive life choices. Yes, we have lost some park land to a parking facility which is in conflict with the wishes of those who donated the land for a park, and only a park. This is water that flowed under the bridge decades ago. CPCC gets the big picture and I appreciate their efforts and the resulting benefits this institution continues to have in our community. Yes, better design could have incorporated and connected the Elizabeth Neighborhood, in the 1950's, but we built Independence Blvd. and Memorial Stadium. This new economy has propelled many to reinvent themselves in an effort to seek other options to better their lives. This public, state and county funded institution is providing a means to those ends.

• Like 1

After so many attempts to go upscale that failed I think Eds is going to make it across from P Stone. They fit in well with the casual feel of the area. Both bars are popular and they have really helped to give that strip a good vibe.

I hope so, as I'm a big fan of the area and the original Ed's. I just don't see much with the new Ed's so far, casual is definitely the way to go over there. Its just an odd layout, more of a house feeling obviously since thats all it is, and the outside area, which is what makes PStone so great this time of year, is just a couple picnic tables surrounded by train ties across a parking lot from the actual Bar. I wish they could expand in a way to open it up a little more and make the outside more inviting. But if they are crowded and can keep the people coming, they will make enough money to make any changes they want.

• 4 months later...

Well, I've seen plenty of other places go gaga over some new place like Whole Food entering their market. Richmond is one place that comes to mind. I agree though, why in the heck is Wake county getting a 3rd Whole Foods and we have none??? Ridiculous especially considering we are a larger population base too. If you compare the two places, demographics are very similar so I'm not sure what their beef is...

First of all Wake and mecklenburg have different demographics. Whicl mecklenburg does have a high % of college grads, Wake's % is extremely high. Another thing is the number of grocery stores that cater to the market, and the demographics that Whole Foods markets to. Whole Foods like almost all companies have a limited amount of money they can expand with. Charlotte may very well be good market for them, but they have to cater to their current successful markets first, it would do them no good to open a store and have it be so popular that it overwhelms the store. My guess would be that when they do come it will be with 2-3 stores opening within a short time of each other. Untill they have the ability to do that they will concentrate on improving their service within the markets they are highly successful in, by expanding and opening new stores.

I've heard the first Whole Foods is going to South Park. Another location should ideally go in Midtown or Elizabeth.

The real competition for Grubb's Elizabeth Village is Pappas' Metropolitan, especially a second phase across Kings Drive. The inner-ring neighborhoods have grown in purchasing power enough to support their own retail in addition to South Park.

It really is just a matter of time then, that a second Apple, first or second H&M, and/or an organic grocer (Whole Foods or Fresh Market) choose to locate in Charlotte's hottest spot(s) to capture yuppy dollars.

• 3 months later...

Both the Leo's Delicatessen and SK Net Cafe spaces have been resurrected, into another deli and coffee shop. I can't remember their names offhand, they were fairly generic with a Charlotte theme. I think I remember "crown" being in there somewhere. Glad to have those spaces active again.

Also noticed that the sign on Closet now just reads "Jet" in the same font, but still had the glowing "C". This was a few weeks ago though, and I guess its now near opening: http://www.360charlotte.com/NightLife/JetUltraLounge.html

At the meeting Patsy basically repeated what we have been hearing anecdotally for a while, Winter doesn't really have financing in place at this time and they just renewed the rental agreements on many of the homes. Winter sees the approval of the rezoning as a way to procure the financing sooner than later though.

Anyone have any new information on the Winter Properties apartments site at 7th and Weddington?

• 3 months later...

I liked SK, it was unique. In better economic times E ave could be a great mixed use urban block. Will get there someday.

I was surprised it lasted so long... when my band played there we sucked so badly I was afraid we'd drive them out of business.

I was looking at the Elizabeth Avenue site and noticed a few changes. It looks like Grubb may be moving ahead with 1414 and 1515 projects, possibly looking to pre-lease some retail space. 1414 also looks to have 102 residential apartments with it as well. 1515 looks like it will have a Medical Office componet where it's 34 space parking lot would have been. It looks like the theater is gone too, and it looks like there will be residential at 1500. It looks like they have gone a bit farther with the design of the apartment building and parking deck on the west side of Travis and Park.

http://www.elizabeth...ail%20Flyer.pdf

http://www.elizabeth...r%2012%2008.pdf

Just noticed the 1515 is marked 2008, but this is the first I've noticed them... so who knows...

Edited by DEnd

^I really wish 1414 Elizabeth would be nearing reality (that and Fresh Market, and apartments, and shared decks for Presby, etc.). But looking at the other information on Grubb's website, it could just be a stale link. The website also lists the opening (2005) of NOFO as "news," and still lists this streetscape-project-casualty among "tenants."