Creative Village

sunshine

From the OS article, a new map of ongoing and future construction parcels.  I do wish that the central park would extend north to Lake Dot, creating a harmonious open space:XLBHMSATL5BQRELS7GFUYJEMPU.JPG

Edit:  It looks like the original green space just north of central park is still there, and is not construction staging.  Hopefully this is a sign that it'll be maintained for future use.

Orlando Coffee House

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

From the article mentioned above, just a few highlights. The City estimates total investment to be around $1.5 billion over the next dozen years and will eventually include 1.2 million square feet of office space, 750,000 square feet for higher education, 150,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, 1,500 residential units and 1,500 student housing beds .

At the end of the month they will have roughly 7,600 students (larger than Stetson and Rollins combined) and several hundred staff and support people.

The 1st phase is expected to be completed by year end 2021 and will include 1000 living units and 2100 students living on campus (math didn't add up for me).

They discuss the safety concerns and OPD, University Police and City Ambassadors are working together to provide a visible and unified presence. They have already reinstated the OPD bike force in the area and are installing the Blue Light Security Phones like the ones on campus. They also mentioned enhanced technology and division of duties re: jurisdiction areas between OPD and Campus police. 

The article covered parking- which has already been discussed here- and also discussed the hopes of luring game development firms. An interesting quote from Dyer, "We don’t want law firms and somebody that can be in any building downtown. We want to try to attract companies that would benefit from being in that environment.”

Another interesting point is the City seems behind on hitting their financial model. They need $90 million from property sales and are approaching $18 million. Since that $18 million includes 5 properties- and likely some of the most valuable properties- it makes me wonder if there is 4x that amount to be made here on property sales...?

• Thanks 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, orange87 said:

Go on Google Maps and look at the cul-de-sac on Beech Avenue. Two streets over (west) from Parramore. Go on street view.

I drove through the area today and decided to tour Beech Ave. Certainly not a pretty and upscale neighborhood, but not quite as previously depicted. Sure there was a car on blocks, laundry on the line and a pit bull tied to a tree, but there was also a yard crew mowing a well kept yard and a couple "new-ish" homes at the end of the cul-de-sac. No sign of gang activity or graffiti.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

From the OS article, a new map of ongoing and future construction parcels.  I do wish that the central park would extend north to Lake Dot, creating a harmonious open space:XLBHMSATL5BQRELS7GFUYJEMPU.JPG

Edit:  It looks like the original green space just north of central park is still there, and is not construction staging.  Hopefully this is a sign that it'll be maintained for future use.

Orlando Coffee House

I was thinking the same thing! Does Orlando have any linear parks like that? Was just in San Fran, and Mexico City last year and coveted the green spaces that go for many blocks and provide cool vistas. Maybe they can build a courtyard between both the new buildings that will be eventually constructed giving a good perspective when the park is views from colonial side of lake dot. 

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I drove through the area today and decided to tour Beech Ave. Certainly not a pretty and upscale neighborhood, but not quite as previously depicted. Sure there was a car on blocks, laundry on the line and a pit bull tied to a tree, but there was also a yard crew mowing a well kept yard and a couple "new-ish" homes at the end of the cul-de-sac. No sign of gang activity or graffiti.

I thought that street = instant death!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This post is not really about CV, but it did come to mind yesterday as I was running the gauntlet on the "street of death". Beech Ave is a cul-de-sac, at the end of the street is a rail line and then beyond that is Robinson St. Over the rail line is a pedestrian crossing complete with a ramp, flashing signal and drop arm crossing gates. My question, do we have many of these pedestrian rail crossings in the area? I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I figured next time I'm on SunRail I'll pay attention, but I also figured someone here already knows the answer.

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

The block immediately to the east of it has it too.  Incidentally when that train crosses Robinson, someone from the railroad usually comes out in a pickup to block the road because there's not gates for that line crossing Robinson.

I saw the one at the other block, but that's honestly sad/ funny they have to send someone out to block Robinson.

So I should have asked, other than the 2 crossings in this neighborhood does anyone know of others in the area?

And my reason for asking is I feel this will eventually be a good way to connect CV southward. A pedestrian crossing over Terry Ave would allow private developers to develop those warehouses along Robinson as well as the next block over. This might inject some of the "organic" growth Spenser is so fond of- development not within the scope of CV, but adjacent to it. Maybe those warehouses could be something cool and edgy which certainly is not going to be allowed in CV... 

Answering at least one of my own questions. I remembered dculey had posted some content re: Terry Ave and was able to locate it on page 2 of the Central FL Roads thread. It appears Terry will extend past Robinson all the way to Colonial. Therefore, no need for a pedestrian crossing.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, AmIReal said:

What caught my eye when I was checking out Google Street View, was this....

telescopeintrash.jpg

What looks to be a halfway decent quality telescope just laying on the curb for the trash collectors to pick up!!!

What a waste!!! Even though it's not a great or expensive looking model, it might have still been usable.

I wish I'd known it was there on the day that picture was taken. I'd have risked death and destruction by going over there and grabbing it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

What caught my eye when I was checking out Google Street View, was this....

telescopeintrash.jpg

What looks to be a halfway decent quality telescope just laying on the curb for the trash collectors to pick up!!!

What a waste!!! Even though it's not a great or expensive looking model, it might have still been usable.

I wish I'd known it was there on the day that picture was taken. I'd have risked death and destruction by going over there and grabbing it. 

Where have you gone, Carl Sagan!?!

We know CV has said they plan to draw video game development firms and we know the City and EDC tried to woo EA downtown as far back as 2002. At that time EA chose to locate in Maitland. Now the OS reports EA has an option to terminate their current lease as soon as Oct. 2021 by providing 12 mos notice of intent and paying a termination fee of nearly $2 million. They have the same option in 2025.

EA, the City, Ustler, et al would not comment.

If this were to happen that would suddenly put over 700 EA employees downtown. We're not talking about students, but full fledged, money earning/ spending adults who MAY want to live in the same general area. Something like this would be YUGE.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-ea-maitland-lease-20190813-y46i6t6kwvfdfeanhfda5lonfy-story.html

• Like 4