Creative Village

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

Great News!!!

Redwood City, California-based video game giant Electronic Arts Inc. — whose Orlando-based EA Tiburon Inc. is the largest video game studio in Florida — is nearing a deal to move from its 128,000-square-foot Maitland office to downtown Orlando's Creative Village, sources told Orlando Business Journal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DreS0803 said:

Great News!!!

Redwood City, California-based video game giant Electronic Arts Inc. — whose Orlando-based EA Tiburon Inc. is the largest video game studio in Florida — is nearing a deal to move from its 128,000-square-foot Maitland office to downtown Orlando's Creative Village, sources told Orlando Business Journal.

They going to build? Old BOFA building has a little over 100k sqft.

20 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

They going to build? Old BOFA building has a little over 100k sqft.

Not sure if that would meet their needs... Their current office is 128,000 sq ft and has been described as crowded by former employees according to the OBJ article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/13/ea-reportedly-nearing-deal-to-move-its-central.html

Edited by nite owℓ

@W7edwin So far, what has your experience been like at the new campus? (i.e., Overall vibe, pros/cons of being downtown vs on main campus, ease of parking/shuttles between campuses, any ongoing construction noise, perception of safety in Parramore, and are students beginning to disperse into the CBD/Lake Eola/farmers market during free time?)

• Like 1

Great News!!!

The scuttlebutt within the EA rank and file is that this rumor might be simply a negotiation tactic for another Maitland location.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve been meaning to venture over there to get that exact vibe.  I haven’t seen a noticeable change downtown but that said, the newer coffee houses closest to campus (Deeply, Craft and Common) have had college age customers aimlessly typing on laptops and tablets for the better part of a year.   So I don’t know if I’d notice the difference.   Definitely no up tick in black and gold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jernigan said:

I’ve been meaning to venture over there to get that exact vibe.  I haven’t seen a noticeable change downtown but that said, the newer coffee houses closest to campus (Deeply, Craft and Common) have had college age customers aimlessly typing on laptops and tablets for the better part of a year.   So I don’t know if I’d notice the difference.   Definitely no up tick in black and gold.

Charge On!

I haven’t seen a noticeable change downtown but that said, the newer coffee houses closest to campus (Deeply, Craft and Common) have had college age customers aimlessly typing on laptops and tablets for the better part of a year.   So I don’t know if I’d notice the difference.   Definitely no up tick in black and gold.

There have been a lot of UCF students at the Dovecote Foxtail recently.

20 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

you know...it is really good for UCF to have the CV campus and Lake Nona med school campus and the I-Drive hospitality school campus.  that's good "visibility" for UCF...not to mention the Daytona et al campuses.

Meanwhile the poor Cows are being ripped apart as they try to consolidate their campuses. St. Pete and Sarasota are not amused.

3 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

There have been a lot of UCF students at the Dovecote Foxtail recently.

That is real;y good news as Dovecote can certainly use some business. By far the best chef in the City of Orlando (now that Blake has left Rusty Spoon) and yet I worry that the clientele just isn't here for him.

As a student at the new campus, I found it to be less busy than I anticipated. Granted, I take night classes and they do not meet face-to-face every week. Several classmates still live near the main campus since their leases have not ended, but most have expressed interest in eventually relocating within the downtown area. Several I know already made the move. I take the Sunrail and it is very convenient, you just have to stay on top of the  train schedule. The walk is similar to the distance from a main campus parking garage to a classroom. As far as safety goes, I have not felt unsafe, it is well-lit and enough pedestrian traffic to give an "eyes on the street" feeling. The walk under I-4 with the construction is still treacherous. Overall, it will be a gradual change, potentially end of the school year(or several)  for everything to feel seamless and the perks of relocating the campus downtown to feel noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is part CV and part Packing District news.

The City owned tennis complex in CV will be relocated to the Packing District- corner OBT and Princeton. The current CV property will be converted to mixed-use residential. No completion date has been set.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/home/city-of-orlando-building-new-tennis-center