Creative Village

sunshine

14 hours ago, aent said:

Did HostDime ever build there building? All I've heard about it is it moving locations a bunch of times. Just like the company did, I believe HostDime was at one point located downtown, UCF area, among others. They seem to jump all over the place and be afraid to commit to a location. Disappointing they couldn't have located in or near CV.

Weren’t these the guys who were going to go in Eatonville?  If so, I have no idea and I am very disappointed that building never got built.  Kind of reminds me of the whole Dynetech thing, and how they merely became a tenant in the building by the time it broke ground...

26 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Weren’t these the guys who were going to go in Eatonville?  If so, I have no idea and I am very disappointed that building never got built.  Kind of reminds me of the whole Dynetech thing, and how they merely became a tenant in the building by the time it broke ground...

There’s a lot of construction on that so called Hostdime site. Looks like a concrete company mixing site, with sand and gravel everywhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

There’s a lot of construction on that so called Hostdime site. Looks like a concrete company mixing site, with sand and gravel everywhere. 

Not sure, but the HostDime project might not be dead.

According to a June '19 article in the OS....

"Two small pieces of the Hungerford property have been sold. About five acres was sold to HostDime several years ago. The company delayed work on its $25 million project but said in March that it will begin construction this summer on its seven-story data center and headquarters.

Another small parcel was sold to the state for work related to the overhaul of I-4, Rodriguez said."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/os-ne-hungerford-prep-development-20190606-hx6oyxca3ffbtaxzcniwczz6ai-story.html

Still wish that building design was in CV.

As itvstands rught now, it would be the only "creative" looking building on the entire site.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, elefants said:

Disappointed they didn't stack it on top of the parking garage for added height and denser land use.

Welcome!  Sometimes I feel like downtown is on life support and we’re lucky to get whatever we get and in whatever form.  This is a good example.

• Like 1

CV started out by selling us the idea of it would be Portland Heritage Square, Boston Faneiul Hall....an area with high regard in archictecture design , creative and inspiring. It was mentioned that they have special design guideline and all other grand rendering design.  But in reality, there are no dedicated bike lane, entire development still extremely car centric, lousy architecture asthetic and the entire thing look like it can be anywhere close to UCF east campus/ Lake Mary office park.  Orlando deserves something better. At some point, we were mentioned in the same sentence as Austin during the early 2000s, they have totally left us in the dust.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sunshine said:

CV started out by selling us the idea of it will be Portland Heritage Square, Boston Faneiul Hall....an area with high regard in archictecture design , creative and inspiring. It was mentioned that they have special design guideline and all other grand rendering design.  But in reality, there are no dedicated bike lane, entire development still extremely car centric, lousy architecture asthetic and the entire thing look like it can be anywhere close to UCF east campus/ Lake Mary office park.  Orlando deserves something better. At some point, we were mentioned in the same sentence as Austin during the early 2000s, they have totally left us in the dust.

And yet, everyone here thinks Buddy is the best Mayor in the history of the planet. 20 more years!

If EA were doing this 100% on their own then I could somewhat overlook their poor design -- but they're not. EA will receive a tax incentive over 15 years which would recoup up to $9 million in property taxes tied to the development. It’s also considered the largest incentive in city history in terms of percentage of property taxes that will be “recaptured” by EA, economic development director Brooke Bonnett said.

Craig Ustler's development company is set to build the office (one would think Ustler would champion better design that fits in the CV vision plan) and construction is expected to begin around March 2020 and wrap up in October 2021, Ustler said. Seems like they already have everything planned out... so much for any meaningful input from the ARB & relevant planning boards!

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

best Mayor in the history of the planet

Probably not the history of the entire planet, just the history of Orlando. I've already forgotten, has anyone worthwhile ran against him over all these years? Maybe an electable foe would make it interesting.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Probably not the history of the entire planet, just the history of Orlando. I've already forgotten, has anyone worthwhile ran against him over all these years? Maybe an electable foe would make it interesting.

Therein lies the problem. For some reason, Orlando has a remarkable avoidance of competitive elections. About the only one we’ve had in modern times was 2003 when Buddy was first elected. There were a half dozen candidates representing a broad swath of ideas. Another comparison: look at the recent mayoral races in Tampa and St Pete where there was a true marketplace of ideas on offer. Why have we lost that fire? Accepting the status quo for decades isn’t what great cities do.

I would attribute it to the incumbent not drawing opponents since the City doesn’t have term limits, but OC does and they’re not doing much better.

Here’s the thing - Buddy’s not evil. He was brought in with a specific set of skills that were needed at the time. (It’s worth remembering it was never his goal to be mayor - he ran only after Charlie Crist beat him in the 2002 AG race).

The things Buddy brought to the table with his bulldozer, big project approach have been accomplished. The things he has little interest in, like quality local roads, a vision of what a true City Beautiful could look like (where have all the flowers gone in the parks?), building great, vibrant neighborhoods and balancing the city’s history and its future, are not his strengths.

Which, btw, the last mayor who balanced those things was Mayor Bill. 

Nevertheless, let’s applaud Buddy for his strengths, declare victory and look for the mayor who can do the things he can’t. No one needs to be mayor for life.

We all know what a hero Winston Churchill is. Did you know he was tossed from office not long after V-E Day? British voters understood that Winnie was the man to defeat Hitler but was by no means the man to take care of the citizens of a devastated country.

No one thinks less of Churchill because he was sent packing. By the same token, after almost 17 years, we need to be looking for the different strengths required to take Orlando forward.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

If EA were doing this 100% on their own then I could somewhat overlook their poor design -- but they're not. EA will receive a tax incentive over 15 years which would recoup up to $9 million in property taxes tied to the development. It’s also considered the largest incentive in city history in terms of percentage of property taxes that will be “recaptured” by EA, economic development director Brooke Bonnett said.

Craig Ustler's development company is set to build the office (one would think Ustler would champion better design that fits in the CV vision plan) and construction is expected to begin around March 2020 and wrap up in October 2021, Ustler said. Seems like they already have everything planned out... so much for any meaningful input from the ARB & relevant planning boards!

I wonder if they looked at the UCF classroom building at 3-4 floors and said, hey, if it's at least a little taller than that, then we're ok with the height.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:56 AM, W7edwin said:

https://www.facebook.com/5779052556/posts/10157776411547557?sfns=mo

the comments on Facebook to this article are hilarious 

I keep forgetting that even though UCF's and Valencia's buildings have opened up with residential u/c, that the EA Building would be the first building of the "digital/electronic" arts business that has not yet come to CV.  

• Like 2

Digital tech firm Arrow Sky Media was moving it's HQ to Creative Village. Does anybody know if that happened yet? It was reported that they were going to create 114 high paying jobs and make a $3 million investment in the region over three years.

Edited by orange87

11 hours ago, orange87 said:

Digital tech firm Arrow Sky Media was moving it's HQ to Creative Village. Does anybody know if that happened yet? It was reported that they were going to create 114 high paying jobs and make a $3 million investment in the region over three years.

Supposedly still in the plans, but the studio has not yet reached the job milestones created so they have not received any of the incentive money they were promised. They have a small workforce in the region, but as of right now there is really nowhere in CV for them to move, so we'll know more once office space is built and filled. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...