Creative Village

sunshine

6 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

Keep in mind, the UCF Emerging Media Center is being renovated as well. It will include additional classroom space. Plus the garage and bookstore in the garage, you have a campus with 4 buildings to start. Seems solid to me.

Yeahhhhh not working for me. Good try though. You people can chalk it up as a campus all you want it won't convince me otherwise to start. Like I said in the ending of my post I do hope to see it pan out successfully in the long run. I personally, looking at other examples across the country believe they are starting too small.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn

Haha. Didn't see Wajas said the same. 

It's a very good start and connected to an established institution. Way better than when other CC or local campuses started the last 30 years with basically a building and a parking lot. 

Maybe they should expect less high-rise buildings and try to learn more. 

9 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Yeahhhhh not working for me. Good try though. You people can chalk it up as a campus all you want it won't convince me otherwise to start. Like I said in the ending of my post I do hope to see it pan out successfully in the long run. I personally, looking at other examples across the country believe they are starting too small.

Genuinely curious, what do you think is missing?

I worry about the long term effects of Rick Scott's interference (when he cherrypicked projects to veto) and that he may have permanently impaired the CV. UCF/Ustler were forced to scale back their original plans after losing over $40 million in funding so I wonder how things might have turned out if they were given a chance to thrive from the beginning.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jernigan said:

UCF is soliciting artists for a mural that needs approval from the city of Orlando - safe to say downtown (although technically could be Lake Nona)

Multiple murals, in places around town.  They wanted to have big "KN_GHTS" text where people could pop in and be the "I", but that isn't permitted in City code. (It would be both signage and offsite advertising) so they're going to do artistic murals instead. 

16 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

UCF/VD has way more than 2 buildings. Unless you are just talking about the ones associated with the schools. Then I think it is 4. The new Dr. Phillips Academic Commons, the Center for Emerging Media (renovated),  the Student Housing Building (which includes some academic learning space and retail), the currently under construction parking garage and Campus Store/Bookstore which also has some campus services and storage space. 

Add to that the central park/courtyard, and the other "private" developments around it for additional market-rate apartments/GF retail at Parcel M and Parcel U, as well as the other apartments on Parramore and you have what shapes up to be a pretty decent little campus for the initial phase. 

UCF is also taking over the former SAK comedy lab space in the parking garage for their Flying Horse Editions studio, relocating out of the Emerging Media building. 

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

Multiple murals, in places around town.  They wanted to have big "KN_GHTS" text where people could pop in and be the "I", but that isn't permitted in City code. (It would be both signage and offsite advertising) so they're going to do artistic murals instead. 

UCF is also taking over the former SAK comedy lab space in the parking garage for their Flying Horse Editions studio, relocating out of the Emerging Media building. 

Wait! SAK is gone?

Just now, WAJAS98 said:

Wait! SAK is gone?

They moved to the second story of the CityArts Factory building at the corner of Orange and Pine a number of years ago. Of note, this building was leased to the City and Downtown Arts District during the recession. When their lease recently came up for renewal, the owners thought they could make a go of market-priced retail, with the (newly rebranded) CityArts moving to the Rogers-Kiene building.  I understand that the space hosted a pop-up for an insurance company but has been vacant over the past couple of months. 

• Like 2

Valencia College is also taking over space in one of the warehouse buildings  just southeast of the Marriott for their Center for Accelerated Training program. 

The 4,300 SF space will be used for the College’s CAT program which includes a mechatronics lab, a computer lab, an electronic board assembly lab, and one small office. The program includes interior renovations for lab/classroom space and new front entrance for the building including ADA compliance ramp. The space is located between neighboring tenants Real Threads and Brew Theory. 

Pages from CUP2019-10000_Staff_Report.png

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 7:49 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

IMG_20190603_124019.jpg

I gotta tell ya, I just got back from 2 weeks of driving around Bavaria and Baden-Wurttemberg and every new suburban office building looks like this, especially around Stuttgart.  Big white boxes with narrow windows in massive industrial parks along the Autobahn.  Not that I have a problem with the style; in fact, I'd be happy to see acres of these along I-4.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jliv said:

I gotta tell ya, I just got back from 2 weeks of driving around Bavaria and Baden-Wurttemberg and every new suburban office building looks like this, especially around Stuttgart.  Big white boxes with narrow windows in massive industrial parks along the Autobahn.  Not that I have a problem with the style; in fact, I'd be happy to see acres of these along I-4.  

OK, so that got me to thinking about ‘80’s German pop for some reason:

• Haha 1

Valencia College is also taking over space in one of the warehouse buildings  just southeast of the Marriott for their Center for Accelerated Training program. 

The 4,300 SF space will be used for the College’s CAT program which includes a mechatronics lab, a computer lab, an electronic board assembly lab, and one small office. The program includes interior renovations for lab/classroom space and new front entrance for the building including ADA compliance ramp. The space is located between neighboring tenants Real Threads and Brew Theory. 

1138190230_PagesfromCUP2019-10000_Staff_Report.thumb.png.7e8f8aa31b0b48dd16177d8b62d73df4.png

Is this the warehouse where Clean the World used to be located? (Hughey & Pittman)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

don't forget Hasselhoff...

Oh, while we're embedding videos instead of talking about buildings, I'll join in.... BTW Germans are totally in on the joke...There's a terrible strain of German pop music called "Schlager", which is camp as Christmas and popular at karoake nights, and Mr. Hasselhoff expanded its creative possibilities.  For example, he responded to Ronald Reagan's plea to Mr. Gorbachev personally and TORE DOWN THE WALL HIMSELF, with the power of Schlager!

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1