Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

New photo of Nashville at night from space taken from the international space station a few days ago.  Due North is towards the upper right hand corner of the shot:

https://www.facebook.com/116314998402922/photos/a.116818995019189.14071.116314998402922/887767581257656/?type=1&theater

Saw that over Christmas... The wife and I spent about 25 minutes trying to identify all the bright spots.

Ironically enough, a friend who lives in Canada sent that to me.

• Like 1

I think that is GH. If you zoom in you can see the river and if you look east, you can see Brilet Pkwy and Opryland Hotel.

I'm pretty confident that area is Cool Springs. Green Hills is a smaller bright spot much closer in.

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 1

yes, it is cool springs, the black parts with distinctive roads are the final undeveloped (for now) parts. Green Hills is much closer to 440, which you can pick out if you look close enough.

the thing to remember is interstates are dimmer than the pikes. so what I initially thought was I65 south is actually Nolensville Road, and what I thought was I 24 is actually Murfreesboro road

the part in cool springs that kind of looks like a sideways 5, is the intersection of Liberty pike and Carothers

• Like 1

Wow. That image is fascinating. It certainly took a second to figure out the scale of it, but it's clear as a bell once you do. It's amazing how recognizable things are. I kinda of expected the interstates to be the most vivid things, but in fact, you can hardly see them. Also, it took me a second to find the airport (it's much smaller than I was looking for), but the shadow is very distinct.

It's amazing how dark things are north of the city. It's almost like there is an ocean there.

Seriously, I could stare at that for hours.

• Like 1

"And Bassnectar was at Bridgestone"

Bassnectar in Nashville!?!  Hate I missed that; I've watched some of his shows on youtube, and would love to catch one in person.  Another one I'm surprised came to Nashville and hate that I've missed is Deftones; I remember they had a concert scheduled in Nashville around late summer early fall 2001 that was canceled due to the lack of ticket sales.  For me that was a said day to be a Tennessean.  I've since found out they've made several appearances in Nashville.

Edited by L'burgnative

^^^ Just think how great that angle will look in a few years with all the projects popping up in SoBro, not to mention Skyhouse and (not holding my breath) if Palmer ever get's something built at the Summit site.

SoBro and Bridgestone, plus Turnberry and Westin would add 5 buildings in the 300-500 ft range -- and from that angle (along with the potential for WES) would more or less connect the skylines.

Aertson Midtown would be at the right edge of this pic, then there's Skyhouse, as you said, and possibly the Virgin hotel. The Lennar project should be back there, too, but may be obscured by other buildings.

In any case, in 5 years, this view could look radically different. Not many angles (that are not taken from the air) can capture such a significant number of major developments going on in this city.

• Like 2

I noticed that one of the existing HCA headquarter buildings (directly across from Centennial Park) is doing a massive facade addition/renovation? Looks like they were opening up the middle portion of the building with glass maybe for executive offices.

Anyone know what is going on?

They've been slowly renovating the interiors floor by floor of HCA Buildings 1 & 2 for the last few years. Building 2 was completed in the summer. Building 1 is now underway and they are being more aggressive with the completion timelines. The exterior renovations are minor, just the entry facade.