Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

20 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

^we need the lighting back on the regions and batman building

I remember when someone proposed that we follow suit with Dallas and Houston to outline most of our downtown buildings in lights.  Obviously that never happened and I'm glad it didn't.  But, the One Nashville Place (originally Dominion Bank) Building was supposed to have vertical lighting as well and that got scrapped.  There was also a discussion of crown to top of the building, but that never happened either.  I saw a couple of rendering when I attended a meeting in that building shortly after it was completed.  One rendering literally had a crown on top of the building (bad idea).  The other had the Dominion Bank Logo literally on top of the building, not mounted on the angled top like the Regions sign is today.  If I recall the Dominion Bank logo was two regal lions facing one another with a crest between them.  It seemed a little out of place with the style of the building, given the modern design.   Before people started calling it the R2-D2 bldg, some referred to it as the bullet bldg.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I remember when someone proposed that we follow suit with Dallas and Houston to outline most of our downtown buildings in lights.  Obviously that never happened and I'm glad it didn't.  But, the One Nashville Place (originally Dominion Bank) Building was supposed to have vertical lighting as well and that got scrapped.  There was also a discussion of crown to top of the building, but that never happened either.  I saw a couple of rendering when I attended a meeting in that building shortly after it was completed.  One rendering literally had a crown on top of the building (bad idea).  The other had the Dominion Bank Logo literally on top of the building, not mounted on the angled top like the Regions sign is today.  If I recall the Dominion Bank logo was two regal lions facing one another with a crest between them.  It seemed a little out of place with the style of the building, given the modern design.   Before people started calling it the R2-D2 bldg, some referred to it as the bullet bldg.

I agree that it's good that the vertical lighting never happened. I think the lights at the top were cool. They are the first thing I can remember seeing in the Nashville skyline when we were new to the area in 1988. We had just moved from Germany and my dad got stationed at Ft. Campbell. We were driving from Charleston, S.C. where we had stayed with family for a few weeks and by the time we got to Nashville it was night time. The R2-D2/Regions/Dominion Bank/Bullet building was the first main building that was visible when we approached the city. I can remember thinking the lights on top of the building were cool. It would be interesting to see what a crown would have looked like. Do you recollect what it looked like?

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, Titans10 said:

Holy crap! Sorry for the language but that is crazy!! What's the time difference!? 

Like Mark said, it's 6 years.  But really, the 'Before' pic could have been taken at the beginning of 2015 and would have been pretty much the same as 2011 (except for the Omni).  That's what's really insane.  The last 2 years has been absoltlely crazy.

Edited by bmkTN

On 5/8/2017 at 1:04 PM, VSRJ said:

For comparison...

output_43FksW.gif

Can you do a comparison before the Pinnacle building (and the other high rise next to it) were constructed?

7 minutes ago, bmkTN said:

Like Mark said, it's 6 years.  But really, the 'Before' pic could have been taken at the beginning of 2015 and would have been pretty much the same as 2011 (except for the Omni).  That's what's really insane.  The last 2 years has been absoltlely crazy.

It's close to unprecedented in terms of the rapid amount of infill with high rises in that part of town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris holman said:

Looking forward to when that gap is filled..

Given that's Lower Broadway, short of putting skyscrapers atop the existing historic buildings (or worse, leveling them to build 'em), that gap will be here to stay (and the high-rises over by 8th will just barely be seen above in the distance, even if they were 50 stories+).

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, chris holman said:

The Embassy Suites from this vantage point and if a future tower is built next to Bridgestone arena should help some, from the opposite vantage point

5+ Broadway towers should help 

Possibly, but I think they may still look small from this point (and the towers above the Old CC will be largely blocked by Batman). Short of the new buildings being below 3rd, they're going to appear tiny. Also, if those two skyscrapers replacing the Market Street Apts. go up, the Pinnacle will be almost completely obscured from this view.

• Like 2