Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

35 minutes ago, markhollin said:

And I believe we will eventually see action on the lots between 1st and 2nd Avenues between Jo Johnson and Stockyard Blvd. (middle far left of shot), as well as the lot just to the east of the ballpark between 2nd and 3rd Avenues soon (lower left of frame).

Bet the state's data center will still be there, though.

7 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ I had heard talk at one time that it would be relocated eventually.

That might have been me in the State Museum thread:

On 1/26/2016 at 11:12 PM, PruneTracy said:

I probably should have elaborated. The state originally endeavored to move completely out of the Capitol Complex Service Center because a) it's in a flood plain; and b) the building has had recurring foundation problems since it was built in the 80s or whenever. To replace it, they planned to build two redundant facilities on existing state-owned land outside of downtown. One, the Tennessee South Service Center, is in Smyrna:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/92+Weakley+Ln,+Smyrna,+TN+37167

I don't know where the other one was supposed to be, but it's apparently not on the ground as the CCSC is still active.

7 minutes ago, markhollin said:

My dream is to have the State Data Center replaced by a new Cumberland Children's Museum on that spot, and help complete that Mall Park to have a feel similar to the National Mall in Washington DC which is lined on each side by libraries, museums, etc. Then the existing Cumberland site could be made into an A-1 Civil War Museum right at the base of Ft. Negley.  Would add even more to our tourism base. 

I really like the idea of a Civil War museum where ASC is now, would be very visible from the Interstate and it offers a good opportunity to point out landmarks and events with its downtown view.

The only problem I have with moving the ASC to the Mall is the architecture; anything placed there really needs to complement the Capitol (in the way the proposed Museum, and to a lesser extent the TSL&A, does not) but boring, stuffy Neoclassical doesn't get the kids excited. It would be a great location, though. Maybe there's a good compromise design with both elements.

Edited by PruneTracy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PruneTracy said:

Bet the state's data center will still be there, though.

^ ^ ^ I had heard talk at one time that it would be relocated eventually.  Would sure be nice to fully develop the east side Bicentennial Mall for public use.  My dream is to have the State Data Center replaced by a new Cumberland Children's Museum on that spot, and help complete that Mall Park to have a feel similar to the National Mall in Washington DC which is lined on each side by libraries, museums, etc. Then the existing Cumberland site could be made into an A-1 Civil War Museum right at the base of Ft. Negley.  Would add even more to our tourism base. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Pretty amazing transformation from just a few years ago of primarily parking lots, empty parcels, and a few scattered 1-story warehouses.  And I believe we will eventually see action on the lots between 1st and 2nd Avenues between Jo Johnson and Stockyard Blvd. (middle far left of shot), as well as the lot just to the east of the ballpark between 2nd and 3rd Avenues soon (lower left of frame).

Sigh. That shot makes First TN Park look even more out of place. Everything around it is so beautiful. And then there it stands like a plopped-down afterthought. Maybe as more infill projects surround the stadium it won't look as harsh.

Edited by VSRJ

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Have any renderings been released for the new Criminal Justice Center? I certainly hope it will be an improvement over the old building!

No renders or schematics have been made public yet.  Smeagolsfree and me were talking about this the other day, and he said he approach some of his contacts to see if anything was forthcoming.  Due to all the dense concrete and metal in the present structure, the demo will take longer than normal.

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

The only problem I have with moving the ASC to the Mall is the architecture; anything placed there really needs to complement the Capitol (in the way the proposed Museum, and to a lesser extent the TSL&A, does not) but boring, stuffy Neoclassical doesn't get the kids excited. It would be a great location, though. Maybe there's a good compromise design with both elements.

I feel it's what is on the INSIDE that gets the kids excited.  Take, for example, these Museums of Science and Industry from other cities that are in older classical or "dated" designs, and yet they are quite popular. 

Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry:

Museum of Science and Industry, Chciago.jpg

Two of the Smithsonian Museums on Washington DC's Mall:

Smithsonian 1.jpg

Smithsonian 2.jpg

The Center of Science and Industry in Columbus, OH.  The front was the former Central High School, and then they added the modern addition onto the back later (second shot).

COSI 1, Columbus, OH.jpg

COSI-angle-aerial-with-leveque-1000x563.jpg

• Like 3

I think the State data center (servers, etc.) has moved, but some ancillary offices and services still remain.The building is just too good a place to work with its front door parking lot, access to Farmers Market and the Capitol Mall. They will have to be dragged out kicking and screaming. The hardware was relocated to Smyrna because the existing location was subject to flooding and catastrophe if the Wolf Creek Dam ever gave way (for which there was legitimate concern at one time).

Edited by PHofKS

What is planned for the empty plot of grass to the left of the baseball stadium? I'm guessing since the grass is patchy and there isn't any other kind of landscaping that there are future plans. I know Tennessee hates landscaping so maybe it is just going to be left as is. 

27 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

What is planned for the empty plot of grass to the left of the baseball stadium? I'm guessing since the grass is patchy and there isn't any other kind of landscaping that there are future plans. I know Tennessee hates landscaping so maybe it is just going to be left as is. 

Apartments to be built by the Sounds ownership.  

• Like 1