CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

I was at Bi-Lo today and saw Nordstrom gift cards for sale, so you never know.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bi-Lo has those gifts cards for multiple companies....Nordstrom, Sears, Target, Gap, Borders, etc, etc, etc. It's a way for those companies to generate extra dollars and expand their "footprint" without any bricks and mortar. You can find these gift cards in grocery stores in any city and they don't really reflect if retailers are located (or will locate) in the city.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bi-Lo has those gifts cards for multiple companies....Nordstrom, Sears, Target, Gap, Borders, etc, etc, etc. It's a way for those companies to generate extra dollars and expand their "footprint" without any bricks and mortar. You can find these gift cards in grocery stores in any city and they don't really reflect if retailers are located (or will locate) in the city.

Where is this bubble at everybody talks about, because I have yet to see it? :lol:

-I knew every bi-lo sold gift cards to stores like Nordstrom and Bass Pro Shops. I just thought people that didn't know on here would like to know. I wasn't expecting Nordstrom to build a store here anytime soon, at least not within the next ten years.

A Bass Pro building downtown? :unsure:

I'm with ya there. That's not their style and I can assure you that they'll continue to locate near interstate highways going forward. This is why I'm surprised they didn't bite at (no pun intended) Magnolia Park Town Center. It seems like it would have been the perfect location for them, if they were serious at all about locating a store in the Upstate (and they are interested in the Upstate, from what I have been told).

I'm with ya there. That's not their style and I can assure you that they'll continue to locate near interstate highways going forward. This is why I'm surprised they didn't bite at (no pun intended) Magnolia Park Town Center. It seems like it would have been the perfect location for them, if they were serious at all about locating a store in the Upstate (and they are interested in the Upstate, from what I have been told).

My understanding is that Magonlia Park and the Super Target Site talked with Bass Pro and Cabelas and both cases the developer choose against them becuase of the costs of securing them.

From looking at many Bass Pro locations, they tend to locate on the edge of population centers / metro areas on major interstates, not in the core. In Birmingham, they are opening in Leeds on I-20, which is definitely more of a fringe suburb with little development instead of the Highway 280 corridor, Hoover, or Trussville, all are which are prime booming areas. Same in Atlanta....Discover Mills in Gwinett, removed from the 400 corridor, Buckhead area, Snellville/Lawrenceville areas. In Myrtle Beach instead of choosing the booming Coastal Grand / Broadway at the beach area, they chose an aging mall between Myrtle and North Myrtle and gave it new life.

Honestly, when they come to Upstate, I see them as choosing either a site in Spartanburg around I-26/I-85 or a spot right off I-85 in Anderson. And yes, I know technically that Spartanburg and Anderson are different metro's, but when you look at demographic maps, Greenville is the core, with Spartanburg and Anderson "resembling" fringes of that core (thats not anything against Spartanburg or Anderson, it's just the geographic and demographic layout). So in this case, I see Greenville's "core" status working against Greenville for BPS. Just my two cents.

From looking at many Bass Pro locations, they tend to locate on the edge of population centers / metro areas on major interstates, not in the core. In Birmingham, they are opening in Leeds on I-20, which is definitely more of a fringe suburb with little development instead of the Highway 280 corridor, Hoover, or Trussville, all are which are prime booming areas. Same in Atlanta....Discover Mills in Gwinett, removed from the 400 corridor, Buckhead area, Snellville/Lawrenceville areas. In Myrtle Beach instead of choosing the booming Coastal Grand / Broadway at the beach area, they chose an aging mall between Myrtle and North Myrtle and gave it new life.

Honestly, when they come to Upstate, I see them as choosing either a site in Spartanburg around I-26/I-85 or a spot right off I-85 in Anderson. And yes, I know technically that Spartanburg and Anderson are different metro's, but when you look at demographic maps, Greenville is the core, with Spartanburg and Anderson "resembling" fringes of that core (thats not anything against Spartanburg or Anderson, it's just the geographic and demographic layout). So in this case, I see Greenville's "core" status working against Greenville for BPS. Just my two cents.

I agree, gsupstate. And in response to an earlier post, I would not want a Bass Pro Shops in downtown. They require massive stores that don't fit well in an urban environment. REI, on the other hand, is a totally different story. :shades:

I can't go into specifics, but I've been told that they're interested in Greenville and not Spartanburg or Anderson, specifically to be nearer the center of the metro's population. They are looking for something near to and with easy access to I-85...that's all I know. I'm still surprised that Magnolia Park didn't reel them in (again, no pun intended). But btoy is right...Bass Pro Shops commands a pretty steep dowry from the bride-to-be.

All the land along 85 at 153 in Powdersville (where the Diamond Jaxx ballpark may have gone had they moved here), IMO is a prime retail spot. The traffic count here is high and the exposure to 85 is exceptional. I've heard rumors on and off, of a Greenridge type development for this location. I could see BPS going in this spot, as it's on the edge of Greenville. What other prime spots are left on 85 (that are sizable)? It's filling up quickly. Wherever they land in Upstate, I'm sure they will do stellar business. :thumbsup:

Bass Pro Shops does not pay rent and requires the developer to pay for the cost of the store to be built. That's why the Magnolia Park Town Center developers decided not to go with them. I'm still not convinced a BPS or Cabella's will be coming here anytime soon.

Bass Pro Shops does not pay rent and requires the developer to pay for the cost of the store to be built. That's why the Magnolia Park Town Center developers decided not to go with them. I'm still not convinced a BPS or Cabella's will be coming here anytime soon.

So Bass Pro Shops is supposed to be so wonderful that they pay no construction costs OR rent? Developers are supposed to build a huge building for them and never collect a dime, simply because of the traffic they might bring to other stores in the retail center?!? That doesn't sound right at all. That's a TON of money someone is eating just to have a BPS.

So Bass Pro Shops is supposed to be so wonderful that they pay no construction costs OR rent? Developers are supposed to build a huge building for them and never collect a dime, simply because of the traffic they might bring to other stores in the retail center?!? That doesn't sound right at all. That's a TON of money someone is eating just to have a BPS.

It doesn't sound right, but it's true. The only reason they build Bass Pro Shops is so they can get more consumers in their shopping center. At Magnolia Park, they don't need a BPS, because they have county square instead. Wouldn't you have loved to been the one that invented that company that never has to pay construction costs or rent?

Edited by g-man430

Although they do command a lot in return for agreeing to be part of a development, I think your assertion here is a bit excessive. I can't speak for Cabella's, but BPS is looking at Greenville.

Although they do command a lot in return for agreeing to be part of a development, I think your assertion here is a bit excessive. I can't speak for Cabella's, but BPS is looking at Greenville.

I never said BPS wasn't coming here. I just said it could be a while. Everybody keeps saying how BPS is looking here, but they have no proof they actually are. It is just rumors and only that. Actually, I think Cabela's has a better chance of coming here then BPS and here is why: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...ille_press.html

-See Greenville on that map in the picture of the news article posted above. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430

I never said BPS wasn't coming here. I just said it could be a while. Everybody keeps saying how BPS is looking here, but they have no proof they actually are. It is just rumors and only that. Actually, I think Cabela's has a better chance of coming here then BPS and here is why: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...ille_press.html

-See Greenville on that map. :thumbsup:

I've been asked not to discuss it, but let's just say I know a guy and leave it at that. I'm sure the real estate folks on here have probably heard just as much as I have, which is probably why you keep hearing/seeing the rumors. It may still be a while before they pull the trigger on something - they seem to be pretty patient with their expansion plans, from what I've heard described to me.

As for that map, Greenville's just the next "big" city up I-85 from Atlanta - it's a landmark is all. IKEA is opening a production facility in Virginia and will soon open a couple of stores in North Carolina, too, but I don't think they're going to expand into Greenville due to proximity alone.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I've been asked not to discuss it, but let's just say I know a guy and leave it at that. I'm sure the real estate folks on here have probably heard just as much as I have, which is probably why you keep hearing/seeing the rumors. It may still be a while before they pull the trigger on something - they seem to be pretty patient with their expansion plans, from what I've heard described to me.

If this guy you know that said a BPS is coming here is reliable, then it is not a rumor and that would be great news. :thumbsup:

That game has been going on for years in retail. Nordstrom is another one that doesn't pay rent in several locations (or pays a vastly reduced rent) because of their influential draw. It's really funny to see developers / shopping center owners courting these companies and almost begging them to open in their development. "Look, I landed Nordstrom, my development is a success!" :lol:

I never thought about this until now, but it is very possible that a REI store could come to Magnolia Park Town Center, seeing how it is going to be a very big development with county council chambers located on site. Also, the developers did say there would be stores that are nowhere else in the state. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430