CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

An Apple Store would be fantastic for Greenville. That is very exciting... but what of iPlace? Are there any Macophiles out there that have been to iPlace?

I guess you might call me a "Macophile". I'm a member of the Greenville Mac User's Group. I have been to iPlace as well as the Apple Shop at CompUSA but my most recent major purchase (the MacBook Pro I am using right now) was from the refurbished store on Apple's web site. I have bought some software and other things from iPlace and their staff their is great. I also know that the Apple Shop at CompUSA is one of the top performing ones in the region. If Apple is considering building an official Apple Store in Greenville this may be one of the reasons and the guy who runs the Apple Shop at CompUSA would be perfect for running an Apple Store if one is started but I'm not sure how closely he is tied to the CompUSA structure. It might be kind of dicey if Apple tried to open an Apple Store at Magnolia since the CompUSA location is doing so well. I personally would rather see an Apple Store downtown like at the old Woolworths (totally remodeled of course) location for example.

I know you were asking gsupstate, but in my opinion Greenville can and would support all of these except perhaps Restoration Hardware and Armani Exchange (Armani because it is very high-end and usually found in metros larger than ours, and Restoration Hardware because they supposedly haven't made a profit in 3 years).

We are ready for places like Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, and Urban Outfitters - perhaps not all at Magnolia Park, though. And it seems that restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, and Ruth's Chris are perfect fits for Magnolia Park Town Center - especially if County offices indeed locate there.

Perhaps gsupstate can enlighten us. :)

I can't wait to see the list. But then again it pains me to think about the T word. (pssst, traffic). Oh well, I see need for light rail! :blush:

I love the ideas that are being thrown around on this thread of possible tenants, some of whom I've never heard of but I'll take and learn of. For those stores NOT choosing Magnolia Park, don't do the Woodruff Rd thing, go DOWNTOWN or AUGUSTA Rd. Big opportunities exist if even one, just one of these will jump ship (the trend) and hit up downtown or the Augusta Road area. What would it take? really.

I didn't say Apple wouldn't build a true Apple Store at Magnolia Park. After all Starbuck's build their first dedicated store next a few doors down from Barnes and Noble on Haywood Road where they had a "shop" inside there but since then they have branched out. I just personally feel a true Apple Store would be a good fit for downtown.

Perhaps gsupstate can enlighten us. :)

I have enlightened about all I can....in addition to many new names to SC, there will also be a few we know very well. The initial tenant list release for the village is not too far off. Should be exciting when it hits the press! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn't say Apple wouldn't build a true Apple Store at Magnolia Park. After all Starbuck's build their first dedicated store next a few doors down from Barnes and Noble on Haywood Road where they had a "shop" inside there but since then they have branched out. I just personally feel a true Apple Store would be a good fit for downtown.

I read that Barnes & Noble owns and operates the Starbucks inside its stores, so it's B&N calling the shots on those locations. But perhaps other retailers that have Apple connections could try Apple-type stores inside their larger ones to test the market?

Greenville (the forum member, not the city) you will be excited to hear this. I've found out that as part of the development, there will be some re-grade of the hill that fronts Woodruff....this is where the row of power lines is. Per my source, all these lines are to be buried, the same way lines in front of Greenridge and The Point were removed. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And on another note.....anyone looked over from 385 the last day or so? The demolition is well into the old mall food court area. Coming down fast!

Greenville (the forum member, not the city) you will be excited to hear this. I've found out that as part of the development, there will be some re-grade of the hill that fronts Woodruff....this is where the row of power lines is. Per my source, all these lines are to be buried, the same way lines in front of Greenridge and The Point were removed. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:yahoo: bury those suckers!!! that's nice to hear about the hill, too. With less of a slope it should help it address the road better.

:yahoo: bury those suckers!!! that's nice to hear about the hill, too. With less of a slope it should help it address the road better.

Amen to that! I just hope they keep them well separated from the water line that always bursts in the winter time along that stretch of Woodruff. :ph34r: Maybe the water line will be replaced too? :unsure:

Edited by RestedTraveler

YES! That is great news, gsupstate! We are making progress! :yahoo:

Anyone think Norstrom would possibly reconsider coming to Magnolia Park if the tenant mix is right?? I definately think Greenville is ready.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Smith & Hawken ;)

I would like to think that we are ready for Nordstrom, or could at least support one. Because I was curious, I looked on the Nordstrom website to see which cities do and do not have stores. I was surprised at some that did and did not (this list is not exhaustive):

Birmingham, AL - no

Little Rock, AR - no

Wilmington, DE - no (I had to see, since Southern Living liked 'em so much! :lol:)

Jacksonville, FL - no

Orlando, FL - yes

Indianapolis, IN - yes

Louisville, KY - no

New Orleans, LA - no

Baltimore, MD - yes

Annapolis, MD - yes

Grand Rapids, MI - yes

Charlotte, NC - yes

Durham, NC - yes

Columbus, OH - yes

Cleveland, OH - yes

Cincinnati, OH - no

Oklahoma City, OK - no

Philadelphia, PA - yes

Pittsburgh, PA - no

Providence, RI - yes

Columbia, SC - no

Charleston, SC - no

Nashville, TN - no

Memphis, TN - no

Salt Lake City, UT - yes

Richmond, VA - yes

Milwaukee, WI - no

If we do get a Nordstrom, my first thought is that it would be a better fit at Haywood, perhaps replacing Sears or JC Penney (or even perhaps as an add-on to the mall). However, it could really give Magnolia Park an added boost. But as you said, the tenant mix would have to be right. It doesn't exactly go with a Rooms to Go and Costco, after all.

I don't think Greenville is ready for a Nordstrom. That is a pretty high-end store- much more so than Parisian, which G'ville had. There are plenty of larger, wealthier cities that don't have Nordstrom stores, so the chain would probably locate in them first.

I also agree that Nordstrom would come to Haywood first, as my sources at Parisian indicated the chain would do if it came back to Greenville (which is now moot, as there will soon be no more Parisian). That kind of store does not want to locate next to a Costco; it wants to be around other high-end stores.

Anyone think Norstrom would possibly reconsider coming to Magnolia Park if the tenant mix is right?? I definately think Greenville is ready.

Thats a long way off for Upstate. We would need a new regional mall or continued upgrades over the next several years at Haywood. Nordstrom would probably enter Charleston first. Nordstrom already has their new store locations planned through 2009 and they don't include SC.

What I think will be great about Magnolia, is the big box will be isolated at one end (almost it's own development) while the Village area will be able to focus on upscale specialty.

And on another note.....anyone looked over from 385 the last day or so? The demolition is well into the old mall food court area. Coming down fast!

Sure wish I could get my hands on some of those beautiful trees that will be leveled when that hill and parking lot are demolished. Recently had to chop down about a dozen from my yard for various reasons. I miss my trees. :(

• 2 weeks later...

They have begun to take trees out on the hill next to Woodruff Road and completely grade the land next to Ashley Furniture, so demolition of the hill has definitely begun. :thumbsup:

The demo seems to have picked up it's pace. They are already up to the old Parisian/Proffitt's building. I'm ready for the demo to be over and the new construction to start. :thumbsup:

^^^I got that information from the Hughes Company, who does the press releases for Magnolia Park Town Center, so it's fairly accurate. Also, the project is not two years out, Costco is going to open it's store in the summer of this year.

Edited by g-man430

^^^I got that information from the Hughes Company, who does the press releases for Magnolia Park Town Center, so it's fairly accurate. Also, the project is not two years out, Costco is going to open it's store in the summer of this year.

The bulk of the project most certainly is about 2 years out. Costco is THE very first store opening up there.

And I don't want to argue with you about the press release, but no, it's not accurate if you're looking to see a large number of tenant names released.

Half of the trees that were on the hill next to Woodruff Rd. are completely gone now. It's amazing how much better you can see the site now. The only things left standing now are the old Palmetto Home and Garden and Montgomery Ward buildings.

Edited by g-man430

I was at Bi-Lo today and saw Nordstrom gift cards for sale, so you never know.