UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So, are you saying they were being loaded or unloaded?

It appeared the restaurant was being gutted and the debri was being loaded into the dumpsters sitting out front. Notice you see no "for lease" sign on site which is a big clue that it has been leased.

• 2 weeks later...

Culver's coming to Woodruff Road.

I had them a couple of weeks ago in Colorado Springs, also in Denver a few years ago. They're ok. G-man, do you know where on woodruff? Are they taking an exisiting unit, or building their own? End cap, of free standing unit? Thanks On a side note, while I was in Colorado Springs, I ate at Hu Hot, it was so good I ate there twice in four days. :-)

G-man, do you know where on woodruff? Are they taking an exisiting unit, or building their own? End cap, of free standing unit?

Freestanding, at 2021 Woodruff Rd., on the north side, just east of the Pizza Inn and before you get to Maxwell Point Shopping Center (the strip with the Big Lots). Site preparation has begun.

• 2 weeks later...

Got excited seeing Culver's, but realized I was thinking of Colton's, supposedly a pretty good steakhouse.

Culver's looks like something closer to a Steak & Shake or Johnny Rockets.

Culver's is closer to a Steak n Shake, but more homegrown in feeling. I've been in one in Indiana. While they tend to use fresh ingredients, the finished product of foods are fatty, calorie laden and not healthy. Judging by the obesity I've seen in Greenville, I'd say Culver's will do quite well.

Tavern 24, billed as "Not your average sports bar," is replacing the former Fatz Cafe at 1145 Woodruff Rd., next to Fuddruckers. This is one of two new brands from Café Enterprises, owners of the Fatz restaurant chain, announced in April, and Woodruff Rd. is one of the first locations, if not THE first. Even the web site, www.tavern24.com, is "Coming Soon!" Upfit by North Lake Construction Co. of Lexington is well underway.

Job listings for bartenders and servers proclaim: "Tavern 24 is the preeminent option for friends to gather after work for happy hour, re-connect with family or catch the game while still receiving great quality food made with fresh ingredients, whether it is dine-in or ToGo. Enjoy a laid-back tavern environment without the annoying audio interference and order premium items from a robust menu that won’t break the bank." (Is "ToGo" even a word? )

The same construction company is involved in the upfit for the new Fatz Fast Casual that is going in at 1117 Woodruff Road #A. Fox Carolina reported on May 17 that this brand "will be a fast-casual concept, and be similar to a Panera Bread restaurant." What a coincidence. I believe that address used to house an Atlanta Bread Co.

Tavern 24, billed as "Not your average sports bar," is replacing the former Fatz Cafe at 1145 Woodruff Rd., next to Fuddruckers. This is one of two new brands from Café Enterprises, owners of the Fatz restaurant chain, announced in April, and Woodruff Rd. is one of the first locations, if not THE first. Even the web site, www.tavern24.com, is "Coming Soon!" Upfit by North Lake Construction Co. of Lexington is well underway.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. I thought the "full-fledged" Fatz was doing okay at that location and was surprised to see it go. Guess I was wrong (hadn't eaten there in a long time myself, so, guess that says something). It'll be interesting to see what the new Fatz Fast Casual is like.

So I guess that calls it quits for the original Fatz chain in Greenville. Still remember some 20 years ago going to the Fatz on the creek near 14 and Pelham Road. That was a nice location and when I moved to Atlanta and back to Greenville 5 year later was surprised that that, too, was gone. Oh well, not a big loss.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. I thought the "full-fledged" Fatz was doing okay at that location and was surprised to see it go. Guess I was wrong (hadn't eaten there in a long time myself, so, guess that says something). It'll be interesting to see what the new Fatz Fast Casual is like.

I would not necessarily assume that you were wrong. Marketing decisions are made on a number of factors. Perhaps Café Enterprises thought that they Greenville market was in need of a different brand concept and decided to launch it in a solid location. On the other hand, business at that location could have been slowing, leading Café Enterprises to attempt to rejuvenate it with the new brand. Either way, you could be certain that Café Enterprises would not invest in that location if they didn't think they could do well there.

So I guess that calls it quits for the original Fatz chain in Greenville. Still remember some 20 years ago going to the Fatz on the creek near 14 and Pelham Road. That was a nice location and when I moved to Atlanta and back to Greenville 5 year later was surprised that that, too, was gone. Oh well, not a big loss.

I still wonder what's going to happen with that location. While the Fatz restaurant overlooking the creek burned down so long ago the event is no longer searchable on the Web, I think the remains of the gazebo still stand. Wonder why no one has done anything with the property. Of course, the alignment of Hwy. 14 may have something to do with it, though I understand the road cannot be realigned because of several adjacent sites that have been declared historic, including the former Rocky Creek Bakehouse, which is now Addy's Hans and Franz Biergarten.

I would not necessarily assume that you were wrong. Marketing decisions are made on a number of factors. Perhaps Café Enterprises thought that they Greenville market was in need of a different brand concept and decided to launch it in a solid location. On the other hand, business at that location could have been slowing, leading Café Enterprises to attempt to rejuvenate it with the new brand. Either way, you could be certain that Café Enterprises would not invest in that location if they didn't think they could do well there.

I still wonder what's going to happen with that location. While the Fatz restaurant overlooking the creek burned down so long ago the event is no longer searchable on the Web, I think the remains of the gazebo still stand. Wonder why no one has done anything with the property. Of course, the alignment of Hwy. 14 may have something to do with it, though I understand the road cannot be realigned because of several adjacent sites that have been declared historic, including the former Rocky Creek Bakehouse, which is now Addy's Hans and Franz Biergarten.

The website for Tavern 24 is under construction, and while not complete, you can see the logo. Looks a bit more upscale and urban, so hopefully this will be a win for Cafe Enterprises. The planned menu, from what I understand, is nothing to get overly excited about, but I get the feeling they are putting more emphasis on "cocktail time" vs family hour. That's a good thing. Anything is better than Fatz, IMO. I wish them well.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I doubt Cafe Enterprises has this type of taste level, I'm holding out hope this new Tavern 24 will be similar to Brick House Tavern & Tap.....slick, clean, modern.....Wagyu beef....flirting with mixology.....monitors that offer a bit more cerebral experience and not just basic jock sports.....etc.

I posted this in another thread but should have posted it here. What do you think about Tavern 24 being annexed into Mauldin so they can serve alcohol on Sunday? Something seems wrong about this. Could this start something and all of a sudden all the restaurants on Woodruff become "in" Mauldin? Why doesn't the county go ahead and legalize alcohol sales to avoid this kind of thing.

Archived