UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I'll have to give it a shot!

My wife picked Papas & Beer to go to for her bday last Wednesday evening. The food was great and service was fine (biggest complaint about service was that the waiter was constantly stopping by asking if things were good).

Be prepared for things to be a little bit different than say Monterrey's. First of all when they bring your chips to the table, you get bean dip by default with them. They have a salsa bar that had some interesting but tasty salsas on it, including a pumpkin seed salsa. I won't even attempt to type the name of what I had, but it was carnitas (pork) with some salsa and veggies with it. It was awesome. My wife had some chicken enchiladas that has some pineapples with it. She liked it a lot, I sample it and did not,but then I don't like pineapple cooked with stuff.

We'll be going back when we can.

Finally after years of deprivation, Greenville has an excellent Mexican restaurant; Papas & Beer on Haywood is amazing, everything is fresh and their salsas are made fresh all day, the awful Mexican restaurants that now serve canned and frozen junk will have to step up their game or buh bye.

My wife picked Papas & Beer to go to for her bday last Wednesday evening. The food was great and service was fine (biggest complaint about service was that the waiter was constantly stopping by asking if things were good).

Be prepared for things to be a little bit different than say Monterrey's. First of all when they bring your chips to the table, you get bean dip by default with them. They have a salsa bar that had some interesting but tasty salsas on it, including a pumpkin seed salsa. I won't even attempt to type the name of what I had, but it was carnitas (pork) with some salsa and veggies with it. It was awesome. My wife had some chicken enchiladas that has some pineapples with it. She liked it a lot, I sample it and did not,but then I don't like pineapple cooked with stuff.

We'll be going back when we can.

So your major gripe is excellent customer service and attentiveness? Oh, okay. :dunno::rolleyes:

Finally after years of deprivation, Greenville has an excellent Mexican restaurant; Papas & Beer on Haywood is amazing, everything is fresh and their salsas are made fresh all day, the awful Mexican restaurants that now serve canned and frozen junk will have to step up their game or buh bye.

We ate there last week and loved it. The food is very "California style". One thing they did that WON my heart.....I asked if they made Sangria Margaritas (on the rocks). They did not, but the waiter went over and whispered to the manager. He came to our table and asked me about the drink then proceeded to have the bartender mix me a Sangria Margarita on the rocks. It was wonderful. The service really stood out!!! We'll be back.

It's a gripe, believe me. I ate there the 2nd week they were open and I swear everyone that worked there asked me how I was doing 5 times each. It was politeness overkill.

This was the point I was trying to make. There's a line between "excellent customer service" and annoying particularly when you're trying to have a conversation. You'll note I said I would be going back - but you obviously haven't experienced a wait staff person asking you every 5 minutes if there is good or not. It's overkill and disturbs conversation at your table.

• 2 weeks later...

Copied from my post on c-d...

I noticed recently that Bavarian Pretzel Factory is about to open on Woodruff Road, next to TGI Fridays. After a small bit of research, I discovered the owner's name is Linda Gschnitzer and that she is a friend of the Addy's Dutch Cafe and Hans & Franz Biergarten owner. Looking forward to trying the food there after it opens. :thumbsup:

More info from the facebook page.

This sounds kind of neat.....The Downtown Airport will have a restaurant opening on site...The Runway Cafe. The place will have beer and wine, so it obviously seems like more than just some lunchtime sandwich place. The article caught my attention. Anyone know additional info?

This sounds kind of neat.....The Downtown Airport will have a restaurant opening on site...The Runway Cafe. The place will have beer and wine, so it obviously seems like more than just some lunchtime sandwich place. The article caught my attention. Anyone know additional info?

This could be very cool if it is done well. They will obviously need to promote it heavily since it is not in a visible area, but if they do I think people would enjoy eating and drinking in a nice environment while watching planes come and go.

If they want to carve out a niche, it could be a really neat weekend brunch place if the food is good. A great omelet, some tasty pancakes, and a couple of mimosas or bloodies with views of an active runway would become a very unique "Greenville thing" to do.

I'm not sure why, but watching planes take off and land while I scarf a burger is actually rather appealing. I know kids would love it too. (which probably explains my fascination)

Hopefully the Runway Cafe won't be too glitzy to discourage families.

(This may be the first and last time I advocate some joint to welcome screaming, running, uncontrolled Yuppie-spawns. Like mine. I must be mad...)

We were by Papas & Beer again tonight for dinner. The place must be doing really well....it was packed on a Monday night. I really do like this place....friendly & quick service, great drinks, excellent veggie options (the Avocado Burrito is outstanding) and the interior is really done well for a newcomer Mexican place. Something about this place has a great vibe...... :alc:

• 1 month later...

I ate at "Grill33 (At the Channel)" tonight. It's on North Main Street, next to the Blue Ridge Brewery. They serve things like wings, baked potatoes, and chicken sandwiches but their specialty is their angus burger. I had a bacon cheeseburger with some good onion rings. Pretty tasty. [Weren't there some people saying we need a new burger joint downtown?] They have some interesting burger choices, including The Stone - a burger stuffed with American cheese with a glazed doughnut for a bun. Good luck with that one.

It's an interesting space, incorporating a coffee bar and a small stage where they were setting up a band. I'm not completely sure what The Channel part is all about. It looks like there is a non-profit, community venue in town (possibly affiliated with a church?) called The Channel. Given that the band playing tonight at Grill33 was a Christian rock band, that might be the connection. All in all, my first experience was positive enough that I'll likely give it another try. But, I am concerned about their long term survival, given that there is a Liquid Highway across the street serving coffee and a bar/restaurant next door that serves good burgers and was much more busy. Maybe the band/community space will be the difference.

Brioso which has locations in Clemson and near Cherrydale Point for former Doc Cheys space.

There had been "coming soon" signs for Brioso in the windows of the old Doc Chey's location, but now they're gone. I heard the owner had health issues shortly after opening near Cherrydale. Anyone have an update?

I ate at "Grill33 (At the Channel)" tonight. It's on North Main Street, next to the Blue Ridge Brewery. They serve things like wings, baked potatoes, and chicken sandwiches but their specialty is their angus burger. I had a bacon cheeseburger with some good onion rings. Pretty tasty. [Weren't there some people saying we need a new burger joint downtown?] They have some interesting burger choices, including The Stone - a burger stuffed with American cheese with a glazed doughnut for a bun. Good luck with that one.

It's an interesting space, incorporating a coffee bar and a small stage where they were setting up a band. I'm not completely sure what The Channel part is all about. It looks like there is a non-profit, community venue in town (possibly affiliated with a church?) called The Channel. Given that the band playing tonight at Grill33 was a Christian rock band, that might be the connection. All in all, my first experience was positive enough that I'll likely give it another try. But, I am concerned about their long term survival, given that there is a Liquid Highway across the street serving coffee and a bar/restaurant next door that serves good burgers and was much more busy. Maybe the band/community space will be the difference.

The Channell used to be The Carpenter's Cellar when it was downtown before, then it was in the basement of the building that now has Bellacino's. It moved from downtown to the TZ Wines Building on Orchard Park that now houses Outmans Cigars.

• 1 month later...

A new Asian restaurant, Red Bowl, is now open at the plaza where The Fresh Market is on S. Pleasanburg. They ran an ad in the Greenville News and in this week's Link that announces their opening and offers a coupon for 50% off your bill at dinner! My family of 6 had 6 appetizers, 4 entries and a drink for $37. The food was incredibly good and the portions were very large. We'll definitely be back.

http://redbowlgreenville.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Archived