Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

Should Raleigh or the Triangle or whatever land an MLB team I think it would be important that the stadium NOT be built in Raleigh but rather closer to Durham. Point being that a lot of the fan base would travel from Charlotte as well as the Triad. It would be important for fans traveling 2hrs from CLT to be able to get in/out of the stadium with ease and a downtown Raleigh site wouldn't work. 

So basically just build the stadium in Concord and call it Carolina "whatever" and let Raleigh fans make the drive...

What a mess!

• Confused 2

I would assume, rather unfortunately, that if Dundon is awarded a franchise, the stadium will go where PNC Arena is for just this reason. PNC is accessible to more than just Raleigh, which means it reaches into the communities that would benefit either side with their attendance. I would be surprised to see DTR with the stadium. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

If I am an out of town investor, I would look at the Triangle and not see any compelling ballpark sites, the lack of transit will make urban sites tough to pull off, and most suburban sites are going to fall victim to the 'its not my city' disease for 2/3 of the Triangle.  Other than the Braves, new ballparks have been most appealing in urban areas, Charlotte has a good number of compelling sites, I see very few of these in Raleigh, and only one in Durham (which I think is getting built out now). 

Having Dundon involved puts Raleigh as the frontrunner over Charlotte and Nashville imo.  I don't get the sense that there's any serious effort to bring MLB to Charlotte by anyone with the ability to do so, and Nashville taxpayers have spent a toooooon of money funding other professional sports recently.  The downside of having Dundon involved is that I'm sure he will push to have a stadium located near the PNC Arena.  The best spot would probably be Downtown South which is still in the very early stages of development.  Land was already set aside there for a potential soccer stadium and it is on the southern BRT corridor (can't remember if it's already funded or not).  Another option would be part of the state government complex on Peace St across from Seaboard which was briefly floated for an MLS team, would require substantial building/parking deck demolition and rerouting a few roads.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

It would be interesting to see how much of the Canes fanbase comes from Durham. College sports in the area really cemented the local biases that exist in the Triangle (but to be fair, Chapel Hill and Durham are essentially the same city, its Raleigh that is detached from the rest).

I live in Chapel Hill and occasionally travel to Raleigh for Canes games but it’s a pain in the ass and that’s with PNC arena being located on the western side of Raleigh. A downtown stadium will have trouble drawing anywhere outside of Wake county imo. Raleigh’s chances of success aren’t great imo. There are just too many games and the regional geography hurts.  

• Like 2

Let's compromise. Dundon can put the team in my small town. Located in North Carolina. No traffic to drive through. Plenty of land in a cozy "downtown" setting. Plenty of vintage brick buildings that could be renovated. We  have a social district. Close enough to a metropolitan area of about 2 million people to draw from (although it's in Virginia). Close to the beach, perfect for tourists to make a short trip over during the summer to catch a game. We have public transportation in the form of a few small vans. I'm sure our city and county could pony up a few thousand dollars in infrastructure improvements. I wouldn't have to drive to Raleigh or Charlotte to catch a game. Win-win in my opinion. Heck, I'd even buy the land and donate it to Dundon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:50 AM, Take2 said:

I think Gaston is a solid red county but living in Concord I can say with confidence that Cabarrus County is solid Purple and wouldn't surprise me if it flips blue in 2024 depending on how heated the race gets.. and definitely will flip blue in 2028 regardless.  

People vote here regardless of race and Cabarrus County is by far the most liberal County in the metro outside of Mecklenburg.  

Gaston is getting there because of its black people with family history moving back to Gastonia and just new transplants. The current configuration of the NC-14 congressional district makes the eastern half the county and Jeff Jackson in 2022 wouldn't have won without the esst half the county's support on a voter precinct level.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 6:35 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m not even sure why my racial/ethnic/national identity is brought up but I rather not discuss it and I do find it offensive and insulting your comments about Latinos and I just rather not explain why. 

& Im gay too, I just didn’t feel the need to say it. But since you mentioned it twice…

Chatham, Orange & Durham have been voting blue for ages even when Meck & Wake went red in 2000…. Cabarrus & Gaston didn’t even go blue when Obama Carried NC (both had less than 41% votes for Obama). In 2020, Gaston went even more red giving Biden less than 36% / Cabarrus 44%.

Wake voted 1% more for Biden than Mecklenburg did (62%). Durham was 80% Biden. Chatham 55% Biden. Orange 75% Biden. Gaston 35% Biden. Cabarrus 45% Biden. Union 38% Biden. Nash 50% Biden.  And Chatham & Orange are whiter than Cabarrus & the same as Gaston, Nash is only 38% black. I don’t think it’s opinion that the triangle is more liberal leaning than Metrolina but feel free to choose what you wish to believe. 

Also, I'm often offended by racial tonedeaf, culturally tonedeaf about black folks and especially about black & queer people comments on this board. However, I don't make it a huge issue unless there is clear gaslighting occurring. Which has occurred and why I tend to not attend in person meet ups.  

You can feel how you feel but that notion of inferring you can speak for me when my dark phenotype along with my racial, ethnic, & my POC queer identities or political philosophy of blacks being socially conservative is extremely offensive & culturally condescending. Charlotte has more non-white people wanting to be around other POC queer folks like me that can't blend in or find peers with similar backgrounds versus the Triangle.  As the Triangle is full of white liberals and progressives as you said. 

Obama's 2008 election was over a decade and half to nearly 2 decades ago, so that doesn't even matter in 2020, 2022, or 2024.  Also Biden won over half of the voter precincts in Cabarrus County in 2020. There was a once in a century pandemic was occurring in 2020 and a lot of black people didn't want to risk their lives to vote still even when there was mail-in voter options. 

Black Enterprise, the Grio, and the Root, all leading black publications are pointing to Charlotte as a more of destination for my demographic (young blac professional and entrepreneurs) not Raleigh. Take that as you may. 

Just say you don't like Charlotte much, I respect that more than going around the mulberry bush of excuses for why the Triangle is more suitable than Charlotte for a MLB franchise. 

However, I don't agree and we can agree to disagree on this topic. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, kayman said:

Also, I'm often offended by racial tonedeaf, culturally tonedeaf about black folks and especially about black & queer people comments on this board. However, I don't make it a huge issue unless there is clear gaslighting occurring. Which has occurred and why I tend do not attend in person meet ups.  

You can feel how you feel but that notion of inferring you can speak for me when my dark phenotype along with my racial, ethnic, & my POC queer identities is offensive. Charlotte has more non-white people seeking others like me that can't blend in or find peers with similar backgrounds versus the Triangle.  As the Triangle is full of white liberals and progressives as you said. 

Obama's 2008 election was over a decade and half to nearly 2 decades ago, so that doesn't even matter in 2020, 2022, or 2024.  Also Biden won over half of the voter precincts in Cabarrus County in 2020. There was a once in a century pandemic was occurring in 2020 and a lot of black people didn't want to risk their lives to vote still even when there was mail-in voter options. 

Black Enterprise, the Grio, and the Root, all leading black publications are pointing to Charlotte as a more of destination for my demographic not Raleigh. Take that as you may. 

Just say you don't like Charlotte much, I respect that more than going around the mulberry bush of excuses for why the Triangle is more suitable than Charlotte for a MLB franchise. 

However, I don't agree and we can agree to disagree on this topic. 

I’m completely dismissive about your identity politics. I don’t care about your identity - I am a gay latino, who actually grew up in Charlotte, who has been homeless in Charlotte. Ive had to only rely on CATS. I could write a novel. I already said I don’t like you mentioning and explaining and assuming things about my race, ethnicity, etc. & I left it at that. there’s a huge difference between describing a coalition of voters and their voting patterns and zeroing in on an individuals race/ethnicity/nationality from your point of view and who gets discriminated against more or not (which you probably aren’t even aware of the additional type of discrimination Asian Americans, etc have to go through. It’s not a competition. It’s about understanding and listening to others) 

You’re calling me a culturally tone deaf, racially, whatever tone deaf person. You randomly called me a white Guy. You randomly are telling me “but when I walk in a room, people know I’m black” or whatever. People know I’m latino when I walk in a room. People assume my nephews are fully black when they too are mixed. 

Im not agreeing to disagree. You need to check that identity politics crap, look in the mirror, and reevaluate. Because it’s not all about you & if you’re going to continually tell me how it is to be latino, and be ignorant of my race, ethnicity and culture, Then I don’t wanna hear about yours. We can agree to disagree that you only see things from your perspective and don’t understand what it’s like to be Asian, Latino, Muslim, etc in America. 

You thinking Gaston County is purple sums up everything I need to know. The triangle votes more blue, all the time. And those blue politicians are charlottes biggest Allies. Not jealous enemies. 

How did this conversation start? That Raleigh is jealous, Raleigh hates charlotte, Raleigh this, Raleigh that.

Specifically about their politics. I said I haven’t heard people from their envious and jealous. They like their area for other reasons. They have things they’re proud about as a region. Education, Tech, being more liberal (for the south) are among them. + I said I don’t think there’s any general ill-will between the two areas overall because there’s so many transplants in each area. 

I hate Charlotte because I don’t think Raleigh is jealous of/hates Charlotte  and because I think Gaston, Iredell, Union, Lincoln, etc are more red than Durham, Chatham, Orange etc. There. Are you happy? Oh. And I don’t think Vi Lyles is a raging progressive liberal. Add me not thinking vi lyles is a liberal progressive as another reason I’m a Charlotte hater. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

From the NYC Area.  Moved to the Triangle and live there 13 years (Wake & Johnston).  Been in  Charlotte 9 years now and would agree with the sentiment that Raleigh/Durham would be very supportive of an MLB Franchise and in a market that’s not over saturated with Pro Sports.  With that being said - I think Charlotte’s Core City Urbanity and general positioning within the State (geographically close to more NC Cities as well as SC) would help any NC based MLB Team to appeal to SC Residents as well.   Problem is there’s no ownership group or general push for MLB here.  I think if Dundon gets a team and locates it here they’ll be holy hell to pay for him in the Triangle.  Charlotte as a location does check more boxes, but I believe there is/will be taxpayer burnout in this region if public is needed.

I believe Dundon is only mentioning Charlotte because the league probably feels like it’d be a much better location but I’m sure his heart would be set on Raleigh, either at/near PNC or Downtown.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

spacer.png

On 10/6/2023 at 11:51 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m completely dismissive about your identity politics. I don’t care about your identity - I am a gay latino, who actually grew up in Charlotte, who has been homeless in Charlotte. Ive had to only rely on CATS. I could write a novel. I already said I don’t like you mentioning and explaining and assuming things about my race, ethnicity, etc. & I left it at that. there’s a huge difference between describing a coalition of voters and their voting patterns and zeroing in on an individuals race/ethnicity/nationality from your point of view and who gets discriminated against more or not (which you probably aren’t even aware of the additional type of discrimination Asian Americans, etc have to go through. It’s not a competition. It’s about understanding and listening to others) 

You’re calling me a culturally tone deaf, racially, whatever tone deaf person. You randomly called me a white Guy. You randomly are telling me “but when I walk in a room, people know I’m black” or whatever. People know I’m latino when I walk in a room. People assume my nephews are fully black when they too are mixed. 

Im not agreeing to disagree. You need to check that identity politics crap, look in the mirror, and reevaluate. Because it’s not all about you & if you’re going to continually tell me how it is to be latino, and be ignorant of my race, ethnicity and culture, Then I don’t wanna hear about yours. We can agree to disagree that you only see things from your perspective and don’t understand what it’s like to be Asian, Latino, Muslim, etc in America. 

You thinking Gaston County is purple sums up everything I need to know. The triangle votes more blue, all the time. And those blue politicians are charlottes biggest Allies. Not jealous enemies. 

How did this conversation start? That Raleigh is jealous, Raleigh hates charlotte, Raleigh this, Raleigh that.

Specifically about their politics. I said I haven’t heard people from their envious and jealous. They like their area for other reasons. They have things they’re proud about as a region. Education, Tech, being more liberal (for the south) are among them. + I said I don’t think there’s any general ill-will between the two areas overall because there’s so many transplants in each area. 

I hate Charlotte because I don’t think Raleigh is jealous of/hates Charlotte  and because I think Gaston, Iredell, Union, Lincoln, etc are more red than Durham, Chatham, Orange etc. There. Are you happy? Oh. And I don’t think Vi Lyles is a raging progressive liberal. Add me not thinking vi lyles is a liberal progressive as another reason I’m a Charlotte hater. 

Thank you for proving all of my points including being racially & culturally tonedeaf along with condescending towards other BIPOCs especially unidentifiably black ones. Only people who are caught being anti black bring up their black friends or relatives as or point other non-white minorities discrimination or elevation as diversionary tactics.  I don’t care to further elaborate because you won't or don't get it. We're done here...  *ignore list you go*

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, kayman said:

spacer.png

Thank you for proving all of my points including being racially & culturally tonedeaf along with condescending towards other BIPOCs especially unidentifiably black ones. Only people who are caught being anti black bring up their black friends or relatives as  diversionary tacit.  I don’t care to further elaborate because you won't or don't get it. We're done here...  *ignore list you go*

You should consider taking your racial issues to some other board that serves the purpose of venting. This isn't a good place for venting your "issues." Like most media, ads, other public services, there is a double-standard and your venting would likely get European Americans and possibly Asians banned as "racist" no matter how non-racist their comment may be. I was once suspended, ridiculed, and called a racist for saying that Cam Newton was a crappy quarterback. Personally, I think that the other guy should "ignore" you. 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 12:29 PM, J-Rob said:

So what name is everyone voting for?

Carolina Aviators?

Carolina Flight?

Carolina Blue Sox?

I will throw up if it's "Carolina" anything!! I have never liked the bland sound of state named professional sports teams. If the team is awarded to Raleigh then use Raleigh not Carolina I say.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Take2 said:

I will throw up if it's "Carolina" anything!! I have never liked the bland sound of state named professional sports teams. If the team is awarded to Raleigh then use Raleigh not Carolina I say.

I was trying to be neutral given the animosity, lol. For what it is worth, Aviators or Flight make more sense with Carolina than Raleigh or Charlotte because geographically it is more aligned to the Outer Banks (Wright Brothers). I do think Carolina draws a broader umbrella. I have no connection to Raleigh, and don't particularly like Raleigh based on my visits. I would be more inclined to pull for Carolina whatever than Raleigh whatever. I am not trying to be childish or dramatic as much as I am just being honest.

• Like 4

Tom Dundon with local sports radio interview in Raleigh today if anyone is interested. https://x.com/joeovies/status/1712551367200616600?s=46&t=k8_9W2fe66dU_7CV6Xy83w

I think we should call them the 404s because they’re not gonna be found. 

Sounds like they’re putting together a package by committee which will be a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, kayman said:

spacer.png

Thank you for proving all of my points including being racially & culturally tonedeaf along with condescending towards other BIPOCs especially unidentifiably black ones. Only people who are caught being anti black bring up their black friends or relatives as or point other non-white minorities discrimination or elevation as diversionary tactics.  I don’t care to further elaborate because you won't or don't get it. We're done here...  *ignore list you go*

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1