Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

On 10/6/2023 at 5:29 PM, carolinaboy said:

Flyers, Aviators or Pilots.

Balers or Weavers ( a nod to textile workers) would be kind of neat.

How about the Charlotte 49'ers?

I like the Balers. Haven't heard that one before.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:29 PM, J-Rob said:

So what name is everyone voting for?

Carolina Aviators?

Carolina Flight?

Carolina Blue Sox?

Blue Sox

• Like 3

Bluestocking  is a perhaps apocryphal designation for early strict Presbyterians in New England. Rather than fine hose they wore the common wool blue hose. There appears to be no contemporaneous mention of such derivation. Later (1750) there is clear mention of a women's society named blue stockings challenging learned men in matters of discussion and intellect. The Presbyterian College Blue Hose name seems to have been simple. They wore blue socks though some may have been aware of the historic Religious connection at the time, 100+ years ago. 

I like the name but the explanation is circuitous.

Off topic but… 

Article in today’s StarNews on the (almost certainly dead) Leland ballpark plans (Brunswick county). Estimated construction costs for this lower Single A ballpark being built adjacent to swampland and a WalMart are $105 million (double Leland’s operating budget). FWIW, Truist Field in Uptown had a construction cost of $54 million in 2012.

Wilmington is a cursed baseball / sports market.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/story/news/local/2023/11/04/leland-residents-oppose-baseball-stadium-development/71318825007/

• 1 month later...

MLB winter meeting took place in Nashville this past weekend and lots of speculation coming out about Raleigh and Nashville again. I think this is the second time in two years it has taken place here. No team relocations though, just expansion from 30 to 32. Trying to get all of the team stadium issues taken care of and relocations settled before expansion can take place. Also, the owner of the White Sox had a meeting with the new mayor of Nashville, but I would not read anything into that at all. The guy is ancient and is probably using it as leverage in Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, smeagolsfree said:

MLB winter meeting took place in Nashville this past weekend and lots of speculation coming out about Raleigh and Nashville again. I think this is the second time in two years it has taken place here. No team relocations though, just expansion from 30 to 32. Trying to get all of the team stadium issues taken care of and relocations settled before expansion can take place. Also, the owner of the White Sox had a meeting with the new mayor of Nashville, but I would not read anything into that at all. The guy is ancient and is probably using it as leverage in Chicago.

Surprising that Raleigh was in the speculation.  Charlotte probably would may be better suited but we’re at a saturation level with professional sports here in Charlotte.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh has a billonaire owner prospect with the current owner of the Hurricanes and he is pushing Raleigh first then Charlotte.  I just believe if this happens Raleigh is more likely to get a baseball stadium built than Charlotte.  We are over extended in that point with future commitments to the Panthers.   Tom Dundon is his name who owns the Carolina Hurricanes.

MLB Raleigh – A movement to bring Major League Baseball to Raleigh, NC

Lol - The MLB to Raleigh movement website needs some updating as it ranks Charlotte higher in 2 of 5 metrics and negligibly different in another metric when you click on the “How Raleigh compares to other Metros” named for possible expansion.  Dundon mentions bringing MLB to NC generically as does Governor Cooper instead of specifically Raleigh (although I’m sure he very much wants Raleigh).  When you read through the Q & A portion and try to click on the hyperlink it gives you an error.  See attached.  Not dumping on Raleigh but this is definitely the Little Brother vs Big Brother issue and Charlotte isn’t really even trying / fighting for a Team.  Also - the possible ‘Stadium Locations’ don’t look that good except for the Downtown South location.  This is why I wouldn’t be surprised if NC did get a team but MLB insisting on an Urban Location for the Stadium in Charlotte. (Not sure if there’s any MLB precedent for something like that)

I say all this to reveal that indeed North Carolina is absolutely the best / biggest, most high growth State to possibly receive an MLB Expansion Team in the Country.  Only issue is which Metro within NC would be a better fit.  After NC, I can see a TN/OR/NV (Nashville/Portland/Las Vegas) three way fight for an Expansion Team.

Whats the pros and cons for being awarded an Expansion Team versus a Team Relocation?

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1055.png

Edited by Hushpuppy321
Forgot attachments
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh has a billonaire owner prospect with the current owner of the Hurricanes and he is pushing Raleigh first then Charlotte.  I just believe if this happens Raleigh is more likely to get a baseball stadium built than Charlotte.  We are over extended in that point with future commitments to the Panthers.   Tom Dundon is his name who owns the Carolina Hurricanes.

MLB Raleigh – A movement to bring Major League Baseball to Raleigh, NC

Uh no, that statement is just plain wrong. 

• Like 2

well if people think Charlotte can build or contribute greatly to a major league basesball stadium show me how at the same time coughing up $500M or so for the Panthers stadium renovation.   I have heard the agrument that Raleigh Durham doesn't have the corporate support.  I can see the state providing more money to a Raleigh stadium if NC State could use it as well.    But I would contend that most big Charlotte based corporations would buy seats and support an effort in Raleigh as well.  Bank of America and Wells employ 1000s there too and have lots of business.    Plus they have locally based companies in the techonoly world that would support the team as well.  Plus Apple and Google I am sure they would want to buy some tickets or seats for their growing operations there.  In a perfect world Charlotte is ideal place and we have the land for a stadium uptown for sure.  But I operate in economic realities and they have  a billionaire interested in bringing a team first to that market then secondly Charlotte that being Tom Dundon.  No one has expressed any interest in being a team owner here or moving here other than MLB teams that flirt with Charlotte to get better deals from their hometowns.  (Brewers, the Rays etc)   In the pecking order I think of major league sports we have the top 2   NFL and NBA along with a MLS team.  Raleigh Durham has done great with their NHL team the Hurricanes.  

One market that I don't think deserves a team is Portland.  Their metro is not growing now and their downtown has it many problems are of late.  In fact a spinoff of one of their major companies chose to move its HQ to Raleigh Vontier.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yeah,Especially when we can't fund our transit system. At least I assume many problems go back to cheaping out.

Can't agree with your Portland take. At least they have a downtown. I don't know about growth numbers as you do but willing to bet they bounce back. Too many attractive elements not to.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 1

Downtown Portland is on a completely different league than uptown Charlotte. From Louis Vuitton, Apple, Nike (which is moving into a larger two-level space) to local Retailers, local book stores, downtown Portland has a ton of offerings. No Legacy Union, but that can be Charlotte’s hidden gem. (And when I say Uptown Charlotte, I’m narrowing it to mean the area between College & Graham)

MAGA lies & anti-urban tropes aside, I don’t think any city is immune to not losing their team. Maybe a few like the Yankees where they seem like an overall brand staple to the league. LA didn’t have a football team several years ago and now it has 2, lol. So anything is possible. 

I think it’s going to be right place / right time of a scenario moreso than anything. It has all the goods in terms of the merit, as do other places. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 11:03 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Lol - The MLB to Raleigh movement website needs some updating as it ranks Charlotte higher in 2 of 5 metrics and negligibly different in another metric when you click on the “How Raleigh compares to other Metros” named for possible expansion.  Dundon mentions bringing MLB to NC generically as does Governor Cooper instead of specifically Raleigh (although I’m sure he very much wants Raleigh).  When you read through the Q & A portion and try to click on the hyperlink it gives you an error.  See attached.  Not dumping on Raleigh but this is definitely the Little Brother vs Big Brother issue and Charlotte isn’t really even trying / fighting for a Team.  Also - the possible ‘Stadium Locations’ don’t look that good except for the Downtown South location.  This is why I wouldn’t be surprised if NC did get a team but MLB insisting on an Urban Location for the Stadium in Charlotte. (Not sure if there’s any MLB precedent for something like that)

I say all this to reveal that indeed North Carolina is absolutely the best / biggest, most high growth State to possibly receive an MLB Expansion Team in the Country.  Only issue is which Metro within NC would be a better fit.  After NC, I can see a TN/OR/NV (Nashville/Portland/Las Vegas) three way fight for an Expansion Team.

Whats the pros and cons for being awarded an Expansion Team versus a Team Relocation?

There was a time back in the '80s when Charlotte didn't have an NFL or NBA team.  The entire metro population was around 1M, and I'm sure at the time many around the country thought the same about Charlotte as you do about Raleigh.  But local business leaders and politicians had much grander visions of what the city could be, and managed to secure both teams by 1993.

I would love it if Charlotte leaders still had that energy.  But things have changed and they just don't.  Raleigh is basically a no-brainer for MLB by many metrics, and those involved need to push to make it happen, especially because it's not really the "sexy" option compared to Nashville or Portland.  However, barring completely private investment, I don't think Nashville has the money for it and I don't think the political landscape in Portland makes it a viable option there (again, unless it is completely privately funded).  Raleigh leaders need to think big and take advantage of opportunities when they arise.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW: Atlanta had four major league teams by 1972 (the Flames* arrived in 72, the Braves, Hawks and Falcons all come to Atlanta between 1965 and 1968), and the counties that are now metro Atlanta had roughly 2 million people in them at that time. Our metro population hit two million around 2005. Metro Raleigh-Cary is still not at 2 million, although they only have one ML team.

*While the flames had crappy attendance, the Thrashers tell us that was not the fault of market size, its just that Atlantan’s hate hockey.

IMG_1374.jpeg

Edited by kermit

Nashville is essentially guaranteed a team at this point, and my money is on the sleeper candidate, Salt Lake City (which has an ownership group and site ready), to get the other.  MLB could use another team out west, and the last two expansions saw teams from each side of the country added (Miami and Denver in ‘93 and Tampa and Phoenix in ‘98). If Charlotte had a viable ownership group and plan in place, I think we could remain in the mix, but I just don’t see Raleigh being a serious contender, especially with the other expansion team just a state away.  The Triangle is all about college sports with the Hurricanes giving the northern transplants a pro team to cheer for, plus Raleigh doesn’t have the corporate sponsorship base or central location in the Carolinas that Charlotte does that would realistically help them move ahead of Charlotte and leapfrog other contenders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1