Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

I work in the media industry, and we are also hearing that the KC Royals are considering a move. Nashville popped up as someone contacted us to do an interview. I did not want to do the interview and the other folks did not either but add that to the growing number of teams that are searching for a new home. Unsure if this was a rumor or speculation from someone in KC or not.

• Like 2

KC wants to build a new downtown ballpark in Kansas City.  The Chiefs want to take over the area where the Royals play to build out an Atlanta like complex with indoor practice field and a boat load of amenities.  I think the Nashville rumor is just to stoke fear in KC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/29/2024 at 4:33 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I recall seeing this story by incident on WCNC live on Thursday.  Stories like this lend to the notion that Charlotte will likely be the location of the MLB expansion that will come to the Carolinas.  Like they said in the story, Charlotte has more density of development and regional attractions along with a concentrated population around its urban core called "Charlotte City Center" that lends to what the MLB likes.   Also, Charlotte will likely be in the Nielsen top 20 in the next 2 years of DMA rankings.  Finally, the regional sporting venues show the city's ability to host major sports tournaments from professional golf, neutral site college football and basketball games, and 3 other major league franchise games also tips the hat in Charlotte's favor.  

• Like 1

We did our stadium deal without a vote thank goodness. Actually, our soccer stadium and our new NFL stadium both were council votes only. Our transit plan which is BRT only will be a half of a percent on the sales tax and is likely to pass according to the polls. So, I think voters can be swayed if a plan is good.

The deal here for an MLB stadium is no public funds will go towards a stadium. It will all have to be private, or the state will have to kick in. For some reason the state does not seem to have an issue throwing money into the pot here. They threw a half of billion into the new Titans stadium and are putting another half billion towards the new Performing arts center on the East Bank as well. I think the war between Nashville and the state is over now that we have a new mayor. They are also putting another 1/2 billion into drawing new international flights at BNA.

So, if Nashville gets an MLB team, more than likely it will go at the TSU campus where the state will give them free land. Not a great location, but anywhere around downtown is not going to be cheap land as the bare minimum is 10-20 million an acre.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:03 PM, kermit said:

Sounds like Kansas City voters decided not to support a sales tax to fund two new stadiums (one for the current Super Bowl champion no less). So...

1) The Royals are going to talk a bunch about moving (this does not mean leaving is a done deal, ownership said they will try again for KC funds)

2) Public subsidies for stadiums just got a whole lot tougher for owners to get. Now that even small markets like KC are voting against spending this money its going to get much harder for owners to extort new stadium funds from their current homes using the threat of moving.

Here is an indication that even Las Vegas voters are going to say no to public money for the A's stadium. (sample size of the poll was only 500 people however)

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/poll-more-than-half-of-las-vegas-voters-oppose-public-funding-for-new-as-stadium/

• Like 4

On 4/5/2024 at 10:05 AM, smeagolsfree said:

We did our stadium deal without a vote thank goodness. Actually, our soccer stadium and our new NFL stadium both were council votes only. Our transit plan which is BRT only will be a half of a percent on the sales tax and is likely to pass according to the polls. So, I think voters can be swayed if a plan is good.

The deal here for an MLB stadium is no public funds will go towards a stadium. It will all have to be private, or the state will have to kick in. For some reason the state does not seem to have an issue throwing money into the pot here. They threw a half of billion into the new Titans stadium and are putting another half billion towards the new Performing arts center on the East Bank as well. I think the war between Nashville and the state is over now that we have a new mayor. They are also putting another 1/2 billion into drawing new international flights at BNA.

So, if Nashville gets an MLB team, more than likely it will go at the TSU campus where the state will give them free land. Not a great location, but anywhere around downtown is not going to be cheap land as the bare minimum is 10-20 million an acre.

I sure wish the state of Tennessee would pay some attention to Memphis once a rival to Nashville but no more as Nashville has zoomed by it.  The state of affairs there is terrible.  

But even if the state gives some free land for a MLB team won't they want the city of Nashville to chip in greatly as was done with the new Titans stadium? 

• Like 2

What is Nashville's economic profile? They just have better PR than Charlotte. I see things like 'Nashville is emerging as a national economic powerhouse, Barron's reports' and they reference investment by Meta Platforms... it's a data center. The Amazon office is back-office logistics stuff not highly paid software engineering. I know this isn't a Nashville vs Charlotte thread...

• Like 2

It is not as Rosey as it appears either.

The one thing that is holding the Music City Stars group back is they want a minority owner. That is going to be harder to come by than most realize. They are now looking outside of Davidson County for a site as well, two that I know of.

This article sort of puts things into perspective for their organization. They still have a great organization on paper but have been slowed by current events. There is a lot of money flowing in and through this city to say the least. Money that may not live here full time but lives here part time. Lots of Hollywood, Sports figures, and music personalities have second homes here.

Music City Baseball's pursuit of MLB franchise in Nashville - Nashville Banner

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The "official" attendance yesterday was 10,400 which is tickets sold. Thus we know that the full/partial season ticket base is about 10,000 or a bit less considering there are some walkups/game day sales. Season ticket sales are not public information but this is certainly in the lowest MLB range. Athletics likely lower. Tampa Bay and Miami have had low season sales in the past, apparent when there was a game such as this in Chicago yesterday, a last minute rescheduled game from a day-before rainout. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 7:30 AM, KJHburg said:

I sure wish the state of Tennessee would pay some attention to Memphis once a rival to Nashville but no more as Nashville has zoomed by it.  The state of affairs there is terrible.  

But even if the state gives some free land for a MLB team won't they want the city of Nashville to chip in greatly as was done with the new Titans stadium? 

The state pays us attention, somewhat. LOL. If they didn't, we wouldn't have gotten some of the funding to renovate FedEx Forum. I think there are so many mouths to feed in this state, and everyone wants to jockey in position to get what they want. Memphis gets blamed for its leadership (or lack thereof), which is agreeable to a point. It's not all 100% bad. Our new mayor wants to increase property taxes to pay for needed services. Current Tennessee Bureau of Investigation statistics show some areas of crime are down, but still a lot more work to be done. 

I'm happy that we have at least one major sports team, and also proud that they've been here for going on 20 years. 

• Like 3