NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Studio 6 turned out to be quite a disappointing project IMO. Maybe they're nice inside, but I think the outside looks horrible.

I don't know, I kind of like it. It's different from every other new apartment building in town, at least. What don't you like about it? 

Anybody remember who the architect was for it? I don't remember hearing much about it.

• Like 2

These pictures are amazing. Yards is going to be SUCH a hot commodity in 2 years and bravo to that developer for getting the jump on that PRIME real estate. NoDa is going to explode over the next few years (even more than it is).

Pretty worried about the roads around NoDa when it "explodes" .  Driving on Davidson is already pretty awful with the amount of on street or in the street parking as well as pedrestrians trying to jaywalk.  It is going to be a nightmare with the population influx that Yards, Mercury, and the mills bring.  Really should consider banning on street parking and putting in a real bike line.   Not sure why anyone would use the Share biking lanes with all of the craziness.  

With the exception of 12th to Parkwood, Davidson isn't that bad to bike. Traffic may get heavy, but it's slow and the lanes are wide enough that cars can pass without much problem. I do take your point, though - there's a lot more traffic to come. It'll help when the LRT opens and when all the roads are back open.

With the exception of 12th to Parkwood, Davidson isn't that bad to bike. Traffic may get heavy, but it's slow and the lanes are wide enough that cars can pass without much problem. I do take your point, though - there's a lot more traffic to come. It'll help when the LRT opens and when all the roads are back open.

Yeah, it is mostly 34th and up that bothers me.  Seems like I almost see someone hit everyday whether it is from sudden/bad parallel parking or unexpectedly walking in traffic... 

Pretty worried about the roads around NoDa when it "explodes" .  Driving on Davidson is already pretty awful with the amount of on street or in the street parking as well as pedrestrians trying to jaywalk.  It is going to be a nightmare with the population influx that Yards, Mercury, and the mills bring.  Really should consider banning on street parking and putting in a real bike line.   Not sure why anyone would use the Share biking lanes with all of the craziness.  

I think NoDa would GREATLY benefit from a pay to park type parking garage. Have a garage, allow it to be colorful and artistic (to blend in with the area) and that can eliminate a lot of issues with NoDa parking (its horrible). 

With a garage you can eliminate the street parking on Davidson as stated, are there any plans to do this? Are any of the garages being built now (Mercury, Yards) going to have public parking?

Edited by Jayvee

I think NoDa would GREATLY benefit from a pay to park type parking garage. Have a garage, allow it to be colorful and artistic (to blend in with the area) and that can eliminate a lot of issues with NoDa parking (its horrible). 

With a garage you can eliminate the street parking on Davidson as stated, are there any plans to do this? Are any of the garages being built now (Mercury, Yards) going to have public parking?

The Johnston YMCA has been in talks to give the city the gravel parking lot (if you're facing the Y, it's the gravel lot directly to the right of the education center) in order to build a public parking deck. In the meantime, if only they would build some type of mass transit system though NoDa to help alleviate car traffic.  :shades:

Edited by lewy2000
  • Like 1

if only they would build some type of mass transit system though NoDa to help alleviate car traffic.  :shades:

One of the items on my never neverland wishlist is for the streetcar Gold Line to branch off Central, run down The Plaza to 36th st and then continue to 36th st station. Since its an imaginary high-capacity transit vehicle, there is no reason you couldn't extend it down N Davidson.

Oh, it will run at 5 minute headways.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

If one has to drive to get to NoDa, one should just park at the Sugar Creek station, which is being build with a parking deck instead of a surface lot now, and just hop one station down. Also that's the closest park and ride station on the BLE. This scenario is really no different than those who park in one of the park and ride lots along South Blvd to avoiding paying for Uptown parking. 

Edited by Nolan

• 5 weeks later...

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/TheExchangeNoDa/index.cfm

The Exchange Noda

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/ParkwoodStationLofts/index.cfm

Parkwood Lofts

Could you imagine if this was the future of NoDa?? woah

I truly believe if people wanted to make some serious money in Charlotte, they would be buying up land on N. Brevard.

Edited by Guest

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/TheExchangeNoDa/index.cfm

The Exchange Noda

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/ParkwoodStationLofts/index.cfm

Parkwood Lofts

Could you imagine if this was the future of NoDa?? woah

I truly believe if people wanted to make some serious money in Charlotte, they would be buying up land on N. Brevard.

The Exchange seems to be more towards Lockwood since it's on 31st St.  Probably the old warehouses and part of the New Camp Station Plans (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/43134-greenville-lockwood-tryon-hills-druid-hills-double-oaks-neighborhoods/page-5)

The Parkwood Lofts is more Optimist Park (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/10833-optimist-park-belmont-revitalization-projects/page-36)

Both would be excellent in helping to revitalize the areas though!

I think this is scrap yard or right behind the scrap yard 1 block north of Matheson especially since the addressed street is E 31st. Lockwood doesn't start til 10 blocks south on the other side of Tryon. ^But as stated above(rjp212) this would be amazing for this area. Bring on the revitalization!

^ its mot directly related but the post office at the corner of Mathesion and Tryon has had an Available sign on the lot for more than a month now. I thought it was strange, but it makes more sense now.

Edited by kermit

I wonder if NoDa brewing would just use that for production and leave tap room/small batch in NoDa

That is what they have mentioned before. Taproom to stay in Noda. However with the craptastic parking situation at the current location (and zero greenspace), it wouldn't surprise me to see then move. I am sure they have to pay the automotive place across the street some nice coin to let them us it for parking.  That Ray building looks to have much more parking and a sweet grass outside area (if that is part of the property).

Edited by InSouthPark

^ its mot directly related but the post office at the corner of Mathesion and Tryon has had an Available sign on the lot for more than a month now. I thought it was strange, but it makes more sense now.

The "Exchange" is actually the property at the end of Cullman Ave.  It involves continuing 31st street across N. Tryon (the easement is still there where 31st street used to be) and across Little Sugar Creek to get into the property.  Parcel ID # - 08303115.  7.45 acres.  It has quietly been on the market for a little while now.  It's a very challenged site and I doubt any thing would be happening on it for a decade at least.  Too much good land elsewhere in the area that needs to be used up.

But some mid-rises like what is depicted on the offering page are in the near future for the area...  Just on better sites.

The "Exchange" is actually the property at the end of Cullman Ave.  It involves continuing 31st street across N. Tryon (the easement is still there where 31st street used to be) and across Little Sugar Creek to get into the property.  Parcel ID # - 08303115.  7.45 acres.  It has quietly been on the market for a little while now.  It's a very challenged site and I doubt any thing would be happening on it for a decade at least.  Too much good land elsewhere in the area that needs to be used up.

But some mid-rises like what is depicted on the offering page are in the near future for the area...  Just on better sites.

NoDa is on the verge of Blowing up. I wish they would have widened N. Brevard and extended it to 36th Street with the light rail running down the center, or bridged above it. NoDa is going to need something to ease traffic in a couple years, and having an alternative to N. Davidson would help.