NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

^Converting Caldwell St to 2-way would actually do a lot to help ease congestion on Davidson, I think. Parkwood is an appealing alternate route except you can't go straight or turn left when you get to 277 because Caldwell is 1-way going north. That eliminates Parkwood as a good alternate route for a lot of people. 

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/Yards_at_Noda

According to a twitter post, Yards at Noda is now complete and ready for new renters to move in.   

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that on here. Their rents are starting at about $1200 so about the same as the low end of South End and Uptown. Personally I think that is WAY to much for NoDa, I would never pay that much when I can pay the same amount and live Uptown, but I guess the market can support it.

Edited by Jayvee

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that on here. Their rents are starting at about $1200 so about the same as the low end of South End and Uptown. Personally I think that is WAY to much for NoDa, I would never pay that much when I can pay the same amount and live Uptown, but I guess the market can support it.

Market support still remains to be seen; especially once more and more competition opens up.  Plus, they will likely be offering substantial incentives along with the leases - first month free, cable and internet included, etc.  But even with the incentives the end result after absorption and first turn over will be a general rise in the rent for the area.  Good news for property owners, bad news for renters.

The good news though is that I wouldn't expect rents to continue to ratchet up with so much competition entering the market in the area over the next 5 years.  It will be pretty cut throat between the multiple developments, probably even including lease buy outs for a 2 year lease commitment.  The savvy renter entering the area in a couple years will be able to use that to their advantage.

The good news though is that I wouldn't expect rents to continue to ratchet up with so much competition entering the market in the area over the next 5 years.  It will be pretty cut throat between the multiple developments, probably even including lease buy outs for a 2 year lease commitment.  The savvy renter entering the area in a couple years will be able to use that to their advantage.

Many of us said exactly the same thing about Southend 3 years ago....

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/sugarcreekroad/download/Visualization2.pdf

I finally saw the visualizations of the "Sugar Creek Grade Separation" project and am really horrified at the impact to the Blue Line Extension by having to go over instead of under the railroad.   

It is very hard to find the old presentations that showed the station renderings.   Remember when they once had Sugar Creek tunneling under the rail corridor, and they had the light rail station?  The only thing I can find is the old siteplan showing it after they moved it south a bit, but still very pedestrian accessible.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Documents/Sugar%20Creek%20Station%20Park%20and%20Ride%20Site%20Plan%20-%20August%202011.pdf

Pedestrians from southeast of the railroad cross the bridge will have their walking route doubled, which puts the warehouse district of NoDa near Sugar Creek OUTSIDE of the 1/2 mile transit radius by walking distance even though it is only 1 block away as the crow flies. 

I spoke to the NCDOT project manager about it and he explained all the very good reasons for the change (historic warehouses, highly used industry in area, specific drainage issues, faulty NCRR early feasibility study).  But he agreed that even though it is much more difficult for a NoDa pedestrian to go to that station, that there were too many other factors that superseded that issue.  

I hope CATS figures it out and looks into a pedestrian bridge.   At Sharon Road West, they added a pedestrian bridge to bypass the .4 mile walk around Crump Road (which they ironically rebuilt as part of the Blue Line project without pedestrian infrastructure).  

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1204929,-80.8813439,369m/data=!3m1!1e3

Meanwhile, the new Sugar Creek Road overpass now causes pedestrians to go 50% farther than that to 0.6 miles.  To me, this warrants a pedestrian bridge just as much.  

post-670-0-37555200-1415216875_thumb.png

Ok, so I'm trying to backtrack and figure out where the "NoDa Greenway District" masterplan came from. All I can figure out so far is that it shows up on two firm websites (Odell and Design Craft). I thought it might have been done as part of the previously mentioned "Exchange" proposal at the end of Cullman Ave, but there's no connection I can find. Does anyone know who brought that masterplan about?

The floodplain will or is already being purchased by the county, I will look for the presentation that showed that map.   So that will eventually form the basis for any greenway path through NoDa as part of the NorthEast Corridor Infrastructure or Cross-city Trail.   

Then, the land that not taken for the floodplain/greenway/parkland would be the basis of transit oriented development around the 36th Street Station.  I'm sure that city leaders have been pushing the concept but also any developers and architects working on development options around the BLE would immediately consider the greenway and thus "greenway district" is sort of an inevitable output of those designers even if the city was uninvolved.  

Capstone is the attempting to develop Exchange, and seems to have had Odell draw up a master plan for the whole area as part of designing Exchange, even if it does not have plans for a specific project beyond Exchange.  Further, it does not seem that they own any of the land yet, let alone be submitting concrete plans for development of Exchange yet.  

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/TheExchangeNoDa/index.cfm

Those are my thoughts after researching it a bit. 

I saw this too, but I did not want to say anything yet, because I could not find any other information on this projects. There is a picture of a high rise office building with the LRT line in the foreground.

The high rise is Exchange, on the Odell renderings, right?

I'd say a bit more than armchair, since Capstone seems to be looking at doing at least one parcel.  

Correct, capstone is not a developer.  The land is just on the market at this point.  The "greenway district" is just some creative marketing to describe what is now just a creek, empty fields, and an empty street.  But that's the way these things get started here in Charlotte, with the private sector.

The greenway and park plans for the Culman Avenue were led by Mecklenburg County Stormwater.  They worked with the neighborhood association through a few charettes with a firm called Wildlands Engineering who did the stream restoration work.  I think Land Design might have been involved also.

http://charmeck.org/stormwater/projects/pages/littlesugarcreek-cullmanave.aspx

Along these lines, this is actually very positive news for this exact area we're talking about.

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2014/11/06/noda-brewing-announces-new-location/

It brings a bit of NoDa down to that area.  I know it isn't a retail function, but it is stretching the NoDa brand a bit in that direction.