NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Southern Apartment Group (it looks like their business model is to get land under contract, get it entitled, and do most of the pre-development work and then bring in a bigger developer parnter), has a rezoning out for the block at 26th, 27th, Davidson and Yadkin, so the block south of Amelies/28th Ro.

http://www.southernapartmentgroup.com/projects.html is their website, but this project isn't on there.

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2015Petitions/Pages/2015-001.aspx

^ Link to thre rezoning.

They are looking to a do a building with 250 apartment units, and then set aside the corner of 27th and Davidson for a retail or office space.

ALSO, though not part of the rezoning, their site-plan shows units built along 27th, so its possible that they are going to complete the 28th Ro condo project as apartments.

EDIT:  Sorry, RJP just posted this.

Perhaps, I just want to see NoDa apartments with a little more pop and creativity - a little more color. I feel like it's the one area of town you could really get away with it since people moving to NoDa would be expecting that kind of thing.

They can always go from bland to something colorful later.

Look Quarterside in first ward. It was a bland tan color for years. They just repainted them blue and bright yellow. Turned out really nice IMO.

They can always go from bland to something colorful later.

Look Quarterside in first ward. It was a bland tan color for years. They just repainted them blue and bright yellow. Turned out really nice IMO.

They did?!?! wow I don't go to that part of 1st Ward... Guess I will tomorrow.

Some day, "NoDa" will stretch, uninterrupted from Craighead to 12th Street.

And even though the southern part of that is technically Optimist Park, the branding of NoDa being so strong and the fact that it is also technically correct being along North Davidson street, this makes perfect sense and is inevitable just like SouthEnd has grown and Dilworth has grown to Freedom Park.

The areas south of Matheson/30th will be where more of the midrise apartments go because of current land use.   Unfortunately, as I posted the other day, the area between Craighead and Sugar Creek east of the railroad is no longer in the station area as traditionally defined.   It is now > 1/2 mile transit radius because they are making it very convoluted to walk to the Sugar Creek light rail station.  I guess we will see how it plays out, but the 12-30th zone seems very much where we will see midrise apartments popping up.   

The revival of it back to an active project has come about in the past week due to a rezoning.  (note the quote in the first post of this page).  It will go on 3/4 of the block on Time Out Youth and Free Range.  

It is not mentioned in the article, nor the subject of the rezoning, but the rezoning does show the floor plans the originally planned buildings on the same block as Amelies.    It seems very likely that they will pursue building up on those existing stubbed areas from when they cancelled further construction of Noda @28 condos and will probably build them now as apartments along with the additional block they are getting rezoned for.   They have all the zoning they need on the original block, so that should likely come earlier than these. 

If this happens, you can probably kiss Noda's 26th street tap room goodbye when they open the new spot. That is currently the overflow (really the only) parking they utilize. Unless they work our something with the neighbors (which they never could before) their current tap room will have about 6 free parking spaces. 

Birdsong will be gone by then and Free Range will be stuck with little parking as well (at least they have the Amiles lot across the street). I think it is a good infill project but that area needs some parking if those businesses are going to thrive. Someone will need to develop some free parking behind that warehouse the king of pops operates out of. It is pretty big and might be able to accommodate the run club crowds on Wednesday nights.

Somehow the world works itself out when parking gets exchanged for urban development.     Of course, overflow parking is nice, but this area is getting a light rail station, so it is inevitable that much of this will be converted to midrise urban growth.

However, I bet it will be balanced, and there will always be a new spot for people to park, such as new street parking on remade urban street cross-sections.   For example, 25th Street will be rebuilt and connected between Brevard and Davidson and will have street parking.  

• Like 1

I hope it is better than Miyagis. I was extremely disappointed in that place. The food wasn't great and I thought it was very expensive for the quality/portion size.

I don't mind paying more for a small portion if the food is really good, but their's was just so-so and I left still hungry.

Miyagi's had some pretty well done dishes, but a lot of medicore/bad ones.  We always liked it once we learned what to get.  I just really liked that it was one of the few restaruants in the area that doesn't try to be a bar first.   Food is one area NoDa needs to do a lot better in.

If this happens, you can probably kiss Noda's 26th street tap room goodbye when they open the new spot. That is currently the overflow (really the only) parking they utilize. Unless they work our something with the neighbors (which they never could before) their current tap room will have about 6 free parking spaces. 

Birdsong will be gone by then and Free Range will be stuck with little parking as well (at least they have the Amiles lot across the street). I think it is a good infill project but that area needs some parking if those businesses are going to thrive. Someone will need to develop some free parking behind that warehouse the king of pops operates out of. It is pretty big and might be able to accommodate the run club crowds on Wednesday nights.

Something large is going to happen on the two massive, empty corners of Davidson and Jordan in time (Publix in my dreams :) )  That will have to have parking.

Edited by Desert Power

But I wonder why they didn't have any renderings on that at the NECI meeting.    It does make sense, as it is pretty obvious.    Maybe they are rolling it into the new Matheson work.   

Ironically, a search for it only brings up the project from a decade ago which built the monstrosity there now.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Projects/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Davidson%20Matheson.aspx

Over the next few years, there are a LOT of streetscape projects coming together for the  "Applied Innovation" district north east of uptown, as you can see clearly on our development map. 

The NECI budget is only so big to fix all these gaps in pedestrian infrastructure, but we will see how it progresses. 

Right.   It was absolutely necessary as a project, although it could have supported the semi trucks turning radius AND had pedestrian refuge islands.   It was a great thing because there was an intermodal freight yard that moved containers to trucks in this area.   So, now that it is gone, we can move on to bigger and better things. 

Right.   It was absolutely necessary as a project, although it could have supported the semi trucks turning radius AND had pedestrian refuge islands.   It was a great thing because there was an intermodal freight yard that moved containers to trucks in this area.   So, now that it is gone, we can move on to bigger and better things. 

or smaller, more pedestrian friendly things.... :whistling: