NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I think it's safe to say that stall is over with the LRL becoming real.  In the next 2 years it is getting about 700 new residential units between the Mills (200?), Mercury (240), Yards (342), and other small projects.

I predict by the time LRL is operating, it will be double that with the sure to come mixed use redevelopment of MPV's property on 36th (Newco Fiber) and all the warehouse property North of Craighead on N. Davidson where a bunch of jockeying for assemblages is taking place now with rezonings to come.  Then if you count all the property south towards optimist park in this discussion, it's going to be huge.  It's going to be very interesting to see what this corridor will be like in 10 years.

Barring another large economic downturn I think this will be the hot corridor between uptown and Sugar Creek for a while eclipsing Southend.

I really think that NoDa, Optimist Park and Belmont will easily eclipse SouthEnd in 10 years. It has 3x the connectivity and Neighborhood Infrastructure. It doesn't have South BLVD to choke it off and make it unwalkable. I for one am INSANELY excited for its potential. All of the developable land is out from the neighborhood center so much of the character will still remain as it expands north and South from the Center. 

I really think that NoDa, Optimist Park and Belmont will easily eclipse SouthEnd in 10 years. It has 3x the connectivity and Neighborhood Infrastructure. It doesn't have South BLVD to choke it off and make it unwalkable. I for one am INSANELY excited for its potential. All of the developable land is out from the neighborhood center so much of the character will still remain as it expands north and South from the Center. 

Charlottes little Williamsburg Bklyn?  LOL.  Agree 100%.  Very exciting to see what it becomes.  There are those that will lament the loss of the original character and they will be right.  But it happens and there's no stopping it, only influencing it.

I hope development flows South & East. Making NoDa more (safe feeling) connected to Plaza & Uptown.

Matheson, Parkwood, and The crappy parts of the Plaza could use some love! Even a lot of 36th Street.

Matheson has a lot of piece-meal gentrification being the border between Villa Heights and NoDa. 

I've emailed Food Lion to ask that they consider renovating/upgrading their store at Matheson and The Plaza - I think that would go a long way to improving the economics of that side of NoDa.

My wife and I were seriously looking in NoDa when we first started looking for a place to buy. But the prices, the lack of a decent grocery store, and the long wait for the BLE and gentrification/connectivity it will bring from Uptown seemed a long ways away.

My wife and I were seriously looking in NoDa when we first started looking for a place to buy. But the prices, the lack of a decent grocery store, and the long wait for the BLE and gentrification/connectivity it will bring from Uptown seemed a long ways away.

Sounds like a good investment though

Rezoning for SoDa Lofts is up. 69 units podium parking, I imagine it will look completely different from Bloc 90. No Rendering yet. 

I don't think I could live around there, seems too deep in the hood still... But I haven't lived in Charlotte for 6 years... So what do I know. It will start to turn around in breakneck speed in just 3 more years.

Edited by Guest

Rezoning for SoDa Lofts is up. 69 units podium parking, I imagine it will look completely different from Bloc 90. No Rendering yet. 

I don't think I could live around there, seems too deep in the hood still... But I haven't lived in Charlotte for 6 years... So what do I know. It will start to turn around in breakneck speed in just 3 more years.

Simply getting those towed car lots out of that area would make a huge difference in aesthetics. 

post-17104-0-56215000-1389283962_thumb.p

Just doesn't look like somewhere i want to be. But honestly... I think we all take for granted the fact that this is ONLY a 10 block walk from the square and 4 block walk to 4th/1st Ward. The BLE will completely transform this area as far as we know it. This is where the City needs to Masterplan. If only CATs would have built their facility elsewhere. 

^ I've seen that image before on design and branding blogs...it is D'Espresso in NYC, and an image that they should not be using. I can't really find any info at all on Ozpresso. 

Was in D'Espresso this morning, before a meeting, its not a coffee shop to aspire to be, cramped, loud, and not very good. People should aspire to be like "Culture" which is by my office. Best cookies and cold brew coffee I've ever had.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like MPV is planning to demo the warehouse building at their property adjacent to the future 36th street station (430 e 36th St). Anyone know if there are any near-term plans for this site? Given the size (7 acres) and the location, this is probably the most significant parcel in NoDa, so I hope there are more ambitious plans than what's under construction next door. 

Demo is underway here already.