NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

It may be related to the Blue Line, as Craighead nearby is about to be closed, and roughly there is where a bridge will be built for the LRT to cross over to the other side of the railroad. 

It will benefit the area as the bridge ramp will be a retaining wall that should keep railroad noise from reaching the neighborhood.  

I believe that is construction for storm water drainage - the dirt culvert between the roadway and existing railroad handles overflow (and some of the former creek that still exists mostly underground) but as the culvert is built into a retaining wall and bridge at grade, the water will need to be contained. 

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte already has a Walmart Neighborhood Market on Independence at Village Lake (former Best Buy). Two more are planned on WT Harris and Albemarle (former roller rink site) and Milton and Sharon Amity (current Compare Foods).

NoDa always needed a grocery store, but of course, Walmart would be far from what many had envisioned.

Didn't go camera happy while I was in NoDa this past weekend, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to capture some Charlotte "grit."   Took this from across the street from Dog Bar after leaving a wedding at UpStage (of all places!)

I'm really pleased with how far the area has come in a relatively short period of time.  Light rail is really going to help this area work even more towards its potential.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like MPV is planning to demo the warehouse building at their property adjacent to the future 36th street station (430 e 36th St). Anyone know if there are any near-term plans for this site? Given the size (7 acres) and the location, this is probably the most significant parcel in NoDa, so I hope there are more ambitious plans than what's under construction next door. 

It looks like MPV is planning to demo the warehouse building at their property adjacent to the future 36th street station (430 e 36th St). Anyone know if there are any near-term plans for this site? Given the size (7 acres) and the location, this is probably the most significant parcel in NoDa, so I hope there are more ambitious plans than what's under construction next door. 

Lets up its not Phase 2 of Yards at NoDa...

Demo before year end to save on property taxes maybe?

Certainly given location and property size, its the most vialbe large apartment block site in the neighborhood.  Maybe they partner with Marsh Properties again.

Too bad NoDa's Demographics are Skewed by the surrounding blight. The area needs a good grocery store, and a large apartment block with a grocery store would be great for this lot. Something like what Forrestar is doing on Kenilworth and Morehead.

I don't know why I can't quote today... 

ricky_davis_fan_21: I agree the neighborhood needs a good grocery store, the area really isn't surrounded by blight like it used to be. 

Prodev: I know it doesn't count for a lot but if IIRC the chop shop's lease is till I think 2018 or 2020.  At any rate I doubt we'll see anything happen there before the BLE is up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

It's true that NoDa as it is now, a drinking/dining/entertainment destination, is starved for parking. It is more than a little annoying for those who live here to deal with on weekends. The small streets (slowing traffic, YAY!) and the walkable block structure are in my opinion one of the highlights of the neighborhood, but presents some serious annoyances now that NoDa is no longer "centered" on the arts, but rather a place to relatively safely booze around from place to place. (not a unique evolution in the gentrification cycle, I know, and I am more than guilty ofa fair amount of reveling) 

I realize that it is still a few years away... but I can only hope that the neighborhood will not see the rise of large public lots to accommodate and placate visitors but rather let the light rail mitigate some of the parking issues. I realize this is very optimistic at this point in our city's transit experience but a guy can dream can't he...? Once some of these multi family units began to deliver and lease up I believe NoDa will see some of the "essentials" begin to pop up in the neighborhood (i.e.: a walkable grocer, pharmacy, ect...) Noda has all the right bones, lets just pray that the city and developers exercise a delicate hand.

Edited by km1789

It's true that NoDa as it is now, a drinking/dining/entertainment destination, is starved for parking. It is more than a little annoying for those who live here to deal with on weekends. The small streets (slowing traffic, YAY!) and the walkable block structure are in my opinion one of the highlights of the neighborhood, but presents some serious annoyances now that NoDa is no longer "centered" on the arts, but rather a place to relatively safely booze around from place to place. (not a unique evolution in the gentrification cycle, I know, and I am more than guilty ofa fair amount of reveling) 

I realize that it is still a few years away... but I can only hope that the neighborhood will not see the rise of large public lots to accommodate and placate visitors but rather let the light rail mitigate some of the parking issues. I realize this is very optimistic at this point in our city's transit experience but a guy can dream can't he...? Once some of these multi family units began to deliver and lease up I believe NoDa will see some of the "essentials" begin to pop up in the neighborhood (i.e.: a walkable grocer, pharmacy, ect...) Noda has all the right bones, lets just pray that the city and developers exercise a delicate hand.

I really hope you're right.  NoDa seems to have lost more steam than any other neighborhood during the recession, both in terms of building and buzz.  I'm glad to see projects are starting to move again and my hope is NoDa starts becoming the neighborhood that everyone was expecting it to be back in 2006.

^And by that, I don't mean NoDa is bad, it just had SO much buzz back in the mid 2000's and then kind of fell off the map in the last 6 years.  So don't take that the wrong way.

^ When you say loss of buzz do you mean in regards to building projects?   I don't take what you are saying the wrong way btw just trying to understand.  

The reason I ask is that the last couple of times I was there (November and December) the area seemed to be doing well.  I do agree though it has lost its "arts" rights to the name.   

BTW (and this is from an anti-car person) NoDa really needs to build a parking deck. Regardless I'm sure Light Rail opening is going to cause a boom throwdown of sorts in the area!

FYI - The current developer of Mercury tried to build an additional level of parking for public use, but the deal fell apart when council members started fighting over the money that would be allotted to it.  The economic development committee approached them with the idea, the developer was tentatively for it, but the EDC couldn't make it happen politically.  With this additional level the spaces lost would have been roughly replaced.

As it stands now, there will be 80 public spaces provided in the deck for public use (pay access of course) when it is all done, but that is 2 years away +/-.  Until then, the parking situation is going to be painful.  And even then, the 80 spaces doesn't replace what is lost.  As more deals like this are built, more parking needs to be provided within the developments for public use (paid for by the city or ransomed by the neighborhood during conditional rezonings) to avoid the parking lots and decks mentioned previously.  Otherwise, I agree a deck will need to built.  Obvious location would be east of the LRL between the tracks and Cullman Ave where there is currently a tire retreading factory.  Cheap land that is in a floodplain.

At +/- $12,000 a parking space, decks are costly and not revenue generators.  It would have to be subsidized by, or built entirely by the city.  That money is going to be very hard to come by in our current political landscape.  But the LRL will help a lot with the uptown and UNCC crowd going to NoDa to party which I would guess (totally pulled out of my ass) is about 30%-40% on a weekend night.

• Like 1

Everytime I've been through NoDa in the last year it's been hopping... I was just there over the weekend and there was lots of foot traffic during the late afternoon. We were at NoDa Brewing, Cabo and Jack Beagles. I agree with Urbanity, a parking deck will do wonders for that area. Parking is always a hassle. I do look forward to riding the light rail up there though in a few years. 

^ When you say loss of buzz do you mean in regards to building projects?   I don't take what you are saying the wrong way btw just trying to understand.  

The reason I ask is that the last couple of times I was there (November and December) the area seemed to be doing well.  I do agree though it has lost its "arts" rights to the name.   

BTW (and this is from an anti-car person) NoDa really needs to build a parking deck. Regardless I'm sure Light Rail opening is going to cause a boom throwdown of sorts in the area!

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified.  Buzz in regards to development.  It seems like that neighborhood stalled more than any other when the recession hit (when comparing it to SouthEnd, Plaza-Midwood, even Elizabeth).  Fwiw, I love NoDa.  Just an observation.

I think it's safe to say that stall is over with the LRL becoming real.  In the next 2 years it is getting about 700 new residential units between the Mills (200?), Mercury (240), Yards (342), and other small projects.

I predict by the time LRL is operating, it will be double that with the sure to come mixed use redevelopment of MPV's property on 36th (Newco Fiber) and all the warehouse property North of Craighead on N. Davidson where a bunch of jockeying for assemblages is taking place now with rezonings to come.  Then if you count all the property south towards optimist park in this discussion, it's going to be huge.  It's going to be very interesting to see what this corridor will be like in 10 years.

Barring another large economic downturn I think this will be the hot corridor between uptown and Sugar Creek for a while eclipsing Southend.