NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I look at this picture and all I see in giant bold letters is  OPPORTUNITY.  NoDa can really become something special if done the right way.

I agree but am a little scared by the large site opportunities, since we don't always get those right. I do think (and hope) that newly-cleared site between the tracks on 36th will be given the highest priority to be something special. 

If I'm not mistaken Mercury wound up with live/work spaces or something on the first floor instead of retail, but they may be convertible in the future, correct? 

Yeah, being so close to uptown, 3rd (I think?) stop out from the loop on a light rail stop, the land here is so underutilized it is staggering.  It is truly hard to imagine what it will be like in 10-15 years.  I'm believe that we will see some proposals for mid-rise start to formulate in the next 5 years once the current round of units are absorbed.

The MPV Newco Fiber site nonillogical referred to would be perfect for such a project.

Yeah, being so close to uptown, 3rd (I think?) stop out from the loop on a light rail stop, the land here is so underutilized it is staggering.  It is truly hard to imagine what it will be like in 10-15 years.  I'm believe that we will see some proposals for mid-rise start to formulate in the next 5 years once the current round of units are absorbed.

The MPV Newco Fiber site nonillogical referred to would be perfect for such a project.

Best growth opportunities will be along Brevard Street between Parkwood and 8th Street.  2 light rail stops, and an unobstructed view of downtown.

• 4 weeks later...

Are they building a sound wall to block train noise along Davidson up past 36th street across from the entrance to Renaissance? They recently cleared trees along the entire street so I'm hoping that is the case.

I'm new to this forum (and to Noda). I searched the forum but couldn't find any "sound wall" information. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by newtonoda

There are no sound walls that I'm aware of, but with all of the separations and closures, they shouldn't be blowing their horns going through there anymore anyway. (I live just across the ACWR tracks in steel gardens)

Good to know, thanks. I wonder what they are clearing that land for? It's just a skinny strip next to the road, not enough to build anything on? I assume the light rail stops at 36th street so the cleared land won't be for another track. I don't know much about the plans.

All of the existing freight tracks are relocating several dozen feet to the west, the light rail tracks are being located closer to Davidson. A strip will remain between the two sets of tracks for "future high speed rail" passenger tracks. Sufficed to say, there are many many many tons of earthwork going to be done before we see anything interesting happen. 

When will NoDa boom at the level of SouthEnd?

I personally think it will be a little while. I think we'll see a lull in development soon because of all the new projects planned for SouthEnd, P-M, and Uptown. Wouldn't shock me if we don't see much new announced in Noda until LTR construction is nearing completion.

I know nothing though, that's just my prediction.

NoDa isn't ripe with industrial wasteland for mega-block apartment projects like most of Southend. There are certainly a few opportunities, especially when you get into the Sugar Creek station area, but NoDa will probably see more smaller infill projects. 

It'll all be Optimist Park, Belmont and Villa Heights. I wouldn't doubt it if massive swaths of run down houses become megablock developments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rezoning request to turn this house on N. Davidson St. (directly across from the Y) into a restaurant called The Goodyear House, a "Farm to Fork" eating and drinking establishment scheduled to open in late 2015. 

Site plan looks good, especially the shaded courtyard out back:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/054-071/2014-055%20site%20plan.pdf

Rezoning request to turn this house on N. Davidson St. (directly across from the Y) into a restaurant called The Goodyear House, a "Farm to Fork" eating and drinking establishment scheduled to open in late 2015. 

Site plan looks good, especially the shaded courtyard out back:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/054-071/2014-055%20site%20plan.pdf

Looks REALLY REALLY awesome.