Greenville Drive Baseball

With July 4th just around the corner, does anybody know the plan for fireworks at the ballpark? I originally had heard a fireworks show was going to go on simultaneously from Riverplace and Westend Field, to create one huge show. Anybody have details?

Unless something has changed, the Drive will be on the road, visiting Greensboro on Tuesday, July 4. The nearest scheduled fireworks display is on Friday, the 30th of June. Guess it would be an opportunity to visit Greensboro's ballpark to see the Drive and fireworks. :(

Greensboro has an average of 6,177 people/game! That is more than our staduim holds. What are they doing right?

Actually, West End Field holds more than that, as was proven recently by the largest crowd ever of 6,400+ enjoying the scenery. Greensboro has a nice new downtown stadium as well, but it appears to be located closer to downtown, with a stunning view of the skyline. That helps. :whistling:

Greensboro has an average of 6,177 people/game! That is more than our staduim holds. What are they doing right?
When the Twins were shopping around for a new home, one location that was seriously considered was Greensboro (which, at the time, was home to the Bats). They're a Single A town that could generate the support for a Major League team if one were to move to that market. Oh, and a new stadium doesn't hurt....

Our capacity is 5,700 and we have been having standing room only crowds of more than 6,000. Their capacity is 7,499 and they have been having empty seats with crowds in the 6,500 range. Seems they should be asking what are we doing right! :D

Actually, West End Field holds more than that, as was proven recently by the largest crowd ever of 6,400+ enjoying the scenery. Greensboro has a nice new downtown stadium as well, but it appears to be located closer to downtown, with a stunning view of the skyline. That helps. :whistling:

West End Field does not hold over 7,000 people like Greensboro's ballpark does. They average more people than we do. It doesn't matter if they have empty seats or not, their still averaging more fans than we do, because they have a bigger stadium.

Edited by g-man430

While they do have an impressive skyline to boast of right off their outfield line... I'm going to guess that their ballpark was built in the middle of everything, and not in a struggling area of town. (I haven't been there, so I don't know this for sure.)

It's one thing to add life to a lively part of town. It's a whole other thing to create it where there was comparatively little before.

Kind of goes along with "underpromise and over-deliver".

We built a 5,700 ballpark and we are delivering MORE patrons than it's capacity.

Gboro built a larger ballpark and they are delivering FEWER patrons than it's capacity.

Just looks better to have sell out crowds and be above capacity, than non sell-outs and below capacity.

West End Field does not hold over 7,000 people like Greensboro's ballpark does. They average more people than we do. It doesn't matter if they have empty seats or not, their still averaging more fans than we do, because they have a bigger stadium.

My comment was in reply to the Greensboro average, not their capacity. They average more, but we are not limited by the lesser capacity, but have actually surpassed their average number on one or two occasions so far. I would say that empty seats in Greenville's case are not a desireable thing. With such a small number available, we need to sell out most of the games to show how capable our market is to support a larger ballpark.

Today was the Baseball draft and Boston Drafted Wren High School's Jason Place in the first round. So in a year or two we may be able to root for him at Drive Games.

Of the Red Sox five first rounders last year, one is playing AAA, two are playing high-A, and two are playing for Greenville (Bowden and Bucholz).

Depending on the player, they could even play this year for the Drive, but that is more common with more advanced college athletes.

My point was that Greensboro's stadium is much larger, they are attracting many more fans, and their skyline view is much more impressive. And we are not selling out every game, our average is like 4,600 which means we have empty seats too. Though we have sold as many as 6,400, that is not the norm. Greensboro has had as many as 8,500, so they have had standing room only as well. I was comparing our new stadium with theirs (after seeing the attendance numbers I was curious).

A view like this doesn't hurt:

marlinsexhibition35.jpg

That is a cool shot! Too bad for those people sitting down the right field line...

We could have such a view if the stadium were building on Church at Coffee, Washington, or East North... But I like the skyline from a distance. You get to take it ALL in, instead of just a few main buildings up close :thumbsup:

From the slightly related to the Drive because it involves the another SAL team, the Lexington Legends and their starting pitcher, an actual legend, Roger Clemens, and the teams third basemen, a prospect by the name of Koby Clemens:

"Perhaps the neatest part about the whole thing was Clemens having a chance to play professionally with his son Koby, a third baseman for the Legends. Best anecdote from the game: Koby came to talk with his father on the mound at the start of the third innings. "I thought he was going to give me a scouting report," Clemens said. Turns out son Koby was paying attention to a nightly promotion: "I just said, 'If you get a K this inning you can get everybody free washer fluid.'" Clemens struck out two; free washer fluid was had by all. The next stop on the Rocket MiLB tour: a start for the Corpus Christi Hooks (Class AA; Texas League) on June 16. More from the Houston Chronicle."

Gotta love minor league baseball... :rofl:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/14758001.htm

Ahem...posted without comment:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...361/1254/SPORTS

Jury out in Pearl

# Various factors make it difficult to gauge M-Braves' popularity

Here is a quote from the article that jumped out at me:

"Fans here seem to be much more in tune to what's going on than our fans were in Greenville (S.C.)," DeSalvo said, referring to the franchise's former home of 20 years. "People here (in Mississippi) are much more interested in the standings and statistics and who the prospects are, even on the other team."

Interesting comment by DeSalvo. Strangely enough, Greenville Drive fans are very in-tune with what is going on and have been eager to become fans of the team. Hmm, I wonder why? :whistling: