Greenville Drive Baseball

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/15061755.htm

The State in Columbia profiles West End Field, second story in that paper about the ballpark, with an opinion piece by columnist Ron Morris earlier this year about it.

They are doing a series on South Carolina's minor league parks: Charlotte (Fort Mill), Charleston and now Greenville, with Mrytle Beach to come.

Edited by whitehourseview

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/15061755.htm

The State in Columbia profiles West End Field, second story in that paper about the ballpark, with an opinion piece by columnist Ron Morris earlier this year about it.

They are doing a series on South Carolina's minor league parks: Charlotte (Fort Mill), Charleston and now Greenville, with Mrytle Beach to come.

I didn't know they changed the at-bat number thing. It's not manual anymore, but now lit up. :blink:

Edited by g-man430

If you are refering to the ball-strike-out stats, those have always been operated by lights. ;)

No, i'm talking about the when they show the jersey number on the green monster scoreboard on the very bottom left of it. Look at the pic in this article, then look underneath "AT BAT": http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/15061755.htm

-That wasn't lit up a couple weeks ago. :unsure:

Edited by g-man430

No, i'm talking about the when they show the jersey number on the green monster scoreboard on the very bottom left of it. Look at the pic in this article, then look underneath "AT BAT": http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/15061755.htm

-That wasn't lit up a couple weeks ago. :unsure:

Yes, that is definitely new within the past couple of weeks. It wasn't there when I went to the WV Power game on July 3rd.

Yes, that is definitely new within the past couple of weeks. It wasn't there when I went to the WV Power game on July 3rd.
That change, for whatever reason, makes it that much more like the original:

2660monster.jpg

See? The At Bat isn't manual at Fenway. I think what happened was that the Drive couldn't spring the extra cash for those lights early on. But with attendance being what it is, they were able to get the lights on layaway.

EDIT: Just by the by and apropos of nothing...the view at West End Field looking out over our Green Monster beats the crap out of the same view at Fenway as shown here.

Edited by Fiddlestix

That change, for whatever reason, makes it that much more like the original:

2660monster.jpg

See? The At Bat isn't manual at Fenway. I think what happened was that the Drive couldn't spring the extra cash for those lights early on. But with attendance being what it is, they were able to get the lights on layaway.

EDIT: Just by the by and apropos of nothing...the view at West End Field looking out over our Green Monster beats the crap out of the same view at Fenway as shown here.

Fenway%20Park%20Feb%2022%202006.jpg

Here's the view from behind the Boston Green Monster. Greenville's humbler, quaint, but I think it's prettier.

I've been to Fenway Park before, the West End is a better surrounding neighborhood, but both areas have seen their share of local revitilization.

Edited by whitehourseview

I think what happened was that the Drive couldn't spring the extra cash for those lights early on. But with attendance being what it is, they were able to get the lights on layaway.

Either that, or they were having trouble putting up the numbers and getting them right for the 'at bat' part of the scoreboard. It could have been that, what Fiddlestix said, or maybe even both.

Edited by g-man430

CNN.com has a mention of our new field in this new article about minor league baseball parks: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTINATION...s.ap/index.html

That's an excellent quote!

He also was impressed with West End Field in Greenville, South Carolina, which opened this season. The ballpark is a mini-version of Boston's Fenway Park and is an anchor of the revitalized neighborhood now filled with art galleries and restaurants.

"It's just fantastic how this ballpark is integrated into the area," Mock said.

Has anybody else noticed the grass at West End Field has been dying a lot lately and they have started to replace it? I wonder why the grass has started to die? :unsure:

Oh yea, I've noticed it.

193696196_2feebbf1f7_b.jpg

It looked horrible this afternoon. I was left wondering if there had been a monster truck rally at West End Field while I was out of town. :shok: