Greenville Drive Baseball

From Ballpark Digest:

Baseball Web site gives West End Field top grade

Posted May 4, 2006 (feedback) (submit story) (discuss)

Our recent look at West End Field, the home of the Greenville Drive (Class A; Sally League), made some headlines in the Greenville News. Our hats are off to sports editor Bart Wright for his astute journalistic instincts: he sure knows a good story when he sees it. Seriously, thanks to the News for the kind words.

The winner of the season series get the rotating trophy and fans of the winning team get, say restaurant discounts. Just an idea...

Great...except the trophy idea is too pedantic if you're thinking something with baseball figurines on a marble pedestal with an inscription.

It should be something more along the lines of a Little Brown Jug if you ask me. Something with some color and character.

Some other college football rivalry trophies:

The Golden Boot (Arkansas-LSU)

Peace Pipe

Wagon Wheel (several rivalries)

Keg O' Nails (Louisville-Cincy)

Old Brass Spittoon (Indiana v. Michigan State -- alma mater of Drive owner Craig Brown)

Old Oaken Bucket (several, including Indiana-Purdue)

Iron Skillet (SMU and Rice(?))

It seems that the word "Old" is key. And a metallic substance or wood are also de rigeur for such an award. And the item itself ought to be something that's commonplace, fairly old-timey and sometimes related to likker.

Or there could be a "booby" prize for the loser, like a flock of pink flamingoes that the loser has to place in the outfield on the next season's Opening Day or something absurd and inane like that.

^^ I agree with this as well. Any prize trophy should be something eccentric, yet representing the region well. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

A bronzed baseball or bat, with the state title engraved on it. Not too original, but definitely worth fighting extra hard for.

I like that idea Fiddlestix. It would make for some hard played ball games.

If you're looking for some hard-played games, try this. You'd have to get league approval for this one, and it's probably not "PC," but if the "booby-prize" angle is in play, I'd vote for the losing team having to play the next day's game wearing fuchsia-colored uniforms with a paisley-oriented logo and floral-patterned caps. They would have to pose for a team picture in these uniforms. It would be something that would be resurrected years later, particularly for any player who becomes a star later on.

Great...except the trophy idea is too pedantic if you're thinking something with baseball figurines on a marble pedestal with an inscription.

It should be something more along the lines of a Little Brown Jug if you ask me. Something with some color and character.

Some other college football rivalry trophies:

The Golden Boot (Arkansas-LSU)

Peace Pipe

Wagon Wheel (several rivalries)

Keg O' Nails (Louisville-Cincy)

Old Brass Spittoon (Indiana v. Michigan State -- alma mater of Drive owner Craig Brown)

Old Oaken Bucket (several, including Indiana-Purdue)

Iron Skillet (SMU and Rice(?))

It seems that the word "Old" is key. And a metallic substance or wood are also de rigeur for such an award. And the item itself ought to be something that's commonplace, fairly old-timey and sometimes related to likker.

Or there could be a "booby" prize for the loser, like a flock of pink flamingoes that the loser has to place in the outfield on the next season's Opening Day or something absurd and inane like that.

Fiddlestix, you are forgetting the greatest rivalry trophy there is..... The Hardee's Trophy (yes after Jerry Richardson's fast food chain) - for the winner of the Clemson v Carolina football game. You'd think after a 105 meetings, three game ending fights, two game starting fights, and another two day riot with baricades and bayonets in Columbia the powers that be could come up with a better trophy.

BTW: I got emails back from River Dog and Drive management. Both said it was a good idea and that they had thought about working on it, but will really work on it now. Nice to get a nice response....

Edited by whitehourseview

A two foot long Bronze boiled peanut. The official snack food of SC.

Official Paid Attendance for yesterday's game was 3150; however, there's just no way there were that many people there. I doubt there were 1150. The rain and cold weather kept everybody away. Heck, I wish I had worn a jacket or jeans. :rolleyes: For that matter, I wish I had caught that pop-fly foul ball that came right to me. My fingers still sting. :ph34r:

Isn't that why you have a laptop? Put that thing to work.

:rofl:

Unfortunately, I didn't have it with me last night. I did have my glove, believe it or not; however, my daughter had been distracting me and I wasn't wearing it at the time, so my attempt to catch that thing was out of self defense. :ph34r:

On the up-side, my little girl did get the ball that Bubba Bell went diving over the right field wall to catch for the 2nd out and then was again hit right to him on a line drive for the 3rd out of one inning. He tossed it in to Luis Segovia, and Luis tossed it right to her (and I reached over and snagged it). She slept with that thing last night. :lol:

:rofl:

Unfortunately, I didn't have it with me last night. I did have my glove, believe it or not; however, my daughter had been distracting me and I wasn't wearing it at the time, so my attempt to catch that thing was out of self defense. :ph34r:

On the up-side, my little girl did get the ball that Bubba Bell went diving over the right field wall to catch for the 2nd out and then was again hit right to him on a line drive for the 3rd out of one inning. He tossed it in to Luis Segovia, and Luis tossed it right to her (and I reached over and snagged it). She slept with that thing last night. :lol:

That's awesome RT. As far as I'm concerned, that's what baseball is all about. :wub: