Greenville Drive Baseball

The ACC is honoring the NAACP boycott of South Carolina to prevent post season tournaments being held in the state - that includes golf, baseball, track & field, etc. Course some Clemson fans think that it's part of the continuing North Carolina schools prejudice against Clemson.

The SEC women's tournament was held in Greenville last year, and actually brought the city more money than the NCAA two rounds a few years back, but the city received a special waiver from the SEC to host the tournament, because like the ACC, the SEC is following the NAACP boycott of the state. The waiver was because Atlanta had to reschedule the tourny due to some pro event (i forget if it was NHL or NBA) that took precedence.

The ACC is honoring the NAACP boycott of South Carolina to prevent post season tournaments being held in the state - that includes golf, baseball, track & field, etc. Course some Clemson fans think that it's part of the continuing North Carolina schools prejudice against Clemson.

The SEC women's tournament was held in Greenville last year, and actually brought the city more money than the NCAA two rounds a few years back, but the city received a special waiver from the SEC to host the tournament, because like the ACC, the SEC is following the NAACP boycott of the state. The waiver was because Atlanta had to reschedule the tourny due to some pro event (i forget if it was NHL or NBA) that took precedence.

Thanks for clarifying that. This infuriates me. Not because I have one shred of sympathy for people who want governmental displays of the Confederate flag -- the battle flag, not even the Stars and Bars, mind you -- but because I have quite the opposite view and I resent being pegged as some backwards, insensitive hick when it was the NAACP that is most responsible for where things stand today. I followed this closely -- as a proponent of the change that the NAACP sought, even before they got vocal about it. So a review may be worth sharing with those who have a life and don't follow all the details or commit them to memory:

In July 1999, the NAACP insisted on the flag being removed from a position of sovereignty -- a goal I happened to concur with.

They took their position pretty much out of the blue -- and a full month after the legislature had recessed for the year, which gave the appearance of feet dragging when that wasn't the case.

They set a January 1 deadline to fix the problem. Regrettably, few people reported that the January 1 was days before the next legislative session was set to convene! Few people ever point this out, but as a practical matter the NAACP artificially created a situation where it would appear to most that they were being ignored and stymied by state government.

All of this had the impact for the stalwarts on both sides of this issue of rallying the troops and generating interest and compelling people to open their purses and wallets to contribute to whatever side of the issue they chose to take -- in other words, as long as the money poured in, neither side was all that interested in reaching a quick resolution.

Nevertheless, in four months' time, the NAACP got exactly what they asked for during the next legislative session, the removal of the flag from positions of sovereignty inside and outside the Statehouse.

HOWEVER...during the legislative session, they refused to participate in negotiations or discussions regarding any compromises -- even to shoot them down, and they declined numerous invitations and overtures to disagree or disagree or comment on a solution that was accepted across racial lines within the legislature.

They claimed that they wouldn't discuss any compromises as a matter of principle. I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water. The NAACP was totally mute when, in 1996, Gov. Beasley stuck his neck out to have the flag removed. They left him flapping in the breeze with the flag and they made ZERO effort to aid him or back him. That's why their July 1999 ultimatum came as such a surprise to many who had previously took political risks to bring the flag down.

For the NAACP -- of all entities -- to take offense at the legislative compromise is absurd and illogical. For other groups -- particularly amateur athletic organizations -- to blindly adopt their revised position and pass judgment on the State of South Carolina is even more absurd and illogical. As disappointed as I am with the compromise personally speaking, I understand it was done fairly and not out of spite or with rancor to African-Americans.

Having initiated the discussion that brought about the change, the NAACP is the culprit in this for all but disappearing from discussions that led to the ultimate (and, from my POV, disappointing) result. And yet it continues to draw contributions by remaining steadfastly opposed to a situation that it is largely responsible for creating! Does anyone believe that they will back down as long as they can continue to act offended (and make money) for getting the result they were instrumental in shaping?

It's time for the NCAA, the ACC and SEC to get a clue as to the full story instead of the 12-second sound byte version which does sound racist and backwards: "The NAACP asked the State of South Carolina to remove the flag from atop the Statehouse, so they did and put it in a more prominent position just to show up the NAACP!"

Sounds bad. Ain't true.

This drives me crazy and makes me want to lobby the NAACP for change, not the state legislature. I was one of those out there actively supporting the removal of the flag before the NAACP even made it an action item. When they totally abandoned those who tried to reach a solution in 1996 and did little more than shrug at all pre-1999 attempts to get the flag down, some of us felt a bit like Cuban freedom fighters left to our devices at the Bay of Pigs. For the NAACP to now label us as racists for doing what they said (but failing to read their minds) is extremely offensive. For others to nod in agreement with the NAACP and support their call for a boycott over this result -- which I'm convinced they actually revel in -- disgusts me.

Sorry for sugarcoating how I feel about this, but if you want to see events come to Greenville, whether we're talking ACC Baseball Tournaments or other national events, the answer is not to move the flag (though I still hope that happens). The goal is to understand the chronology of events and get the word out that the NAACP's position is totally reprehensible and morally unconscionable.

Apparently another sell-out yesterday. This place is a unique attraction. Now it will be interesting to see how long this lasts. I hope the fascination with downtown Greenville baseball continues to grow with age. It is a perfect outing for families during the Spring and Summer months. :thumbsup:

Apparently another sell-out yesterday. This place is a unique attraction. Now it will be interesting to see how long this lasts. I hope the fascination with downtown Greenville baseball continues to grow with age. It is a perfect outing for families during the Spring and Summer months. :thumbsup:

If this keeps up, I'm going to be forced to buy season tickets next year just so I can be guaranteed a seat at each game. This is amazing! :wub:

It's great to see attendance moving beyond the ballparks capacity!! Greenville truely is in love with this place! :wub:

My partners parents are coming into town in two weeks. We are taking them to the Greensboro game. They live is Pensacola, and apparently his dad read about the ballpark in a magazine....not sure which one. They told us we MUST take them. It was tough getting tickets....well decent tickets anyway (Home plate or first base).

Great photos g-man! :thumbsup:

Thanks for clarifying that. This infuriates me. Not because I have one shred of sympathy for people who want governmental displays of the Confederate flag -- the battle flag, not even the Stars and Bars, mind you -- but because I have quite the opposite view and I resent being pegged as some backwards, insensitive hick when it was the NAACP that is most responsible for where things stand today. I followed this closely -- as a proponent of the change that the NAACP sought, even before they got vocal about it. So a review may be worth sharing with those who have a life and don't follow all the details or commit them to memory:

In July 1999, the NAACP insisted on the flag being removed from a position of sovereignty -- a goal I happened to concur with.

They took their position pretty much out of the blue -- and a full month after the legislature had recessed for the year, which gave the appearance of feet dragging when that wasn't the case.

They set a January 1 deadline to fix the problem. Regrettably, few people reported that the January 1 was days before the next legislative session was set to convene! Few people ever point this out, but as a practical matter the NAACP artificially created a situation where it would appear to most that they were being ignored and stymied by state government.

All of this had the impact for the stalwarts on both sides of this issue of rallying the troops and generating interest and compelling people to open their purses and wallets to contribute to whatever side of the issue they chose to take -- in other words, as long as the money poured in, neither side was all that interested in reaching a quick resolution.

Nevertheless, in four months' time, the NAACP got exactly what they asked for during the next legislative session, the removal of the flag from positions of sovereignty inside and outside the Statehouse.

HOWEVER...during the legislative session, they refused to participate in negotiations or discussions regarding any compromises -- even to shoot them down, and they declined numerous invitations and overtures to disagree or disagree or comment on a solution that was accepted across racial lines within the legislature.

They claimed that they wouldn't discuss any compromises as a matter of principle. I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water. The NAACP was totally mute when, in 1996, Gov. Beasley stuck his neck out to have the flag removed. They left him flapping in the breeze with the flag and they made ZERO effort to aid him or back him. That's why their July 1999 ultimatum came as such a surprise to many who had previously took political risks to bring the flag down.

For the NAACP -- of all entities -- to take offense at the legislative compromise is absurd and illogical. For other groups -- particularly amateur athletic organizations -- to blindly adopt their revised position and pass judgment on the State of South Carolina is even more absurd and illogical. As disappointed as I am with the compromise personally speaking, I understand it was done fairly and not out of spite or with rancor to African-Americans.

Having initiated the discussion that brought about the change, the NAACP is the culprit in this for all but disappearing from discussions that led to the ultimate (and, from my POV, disappointing) result. And yet it continues to draw contributions by remaining steadfastly opposed to a situation that it is largely responsible for creating! Does anyone believe that they will back down as long as they can continue to act offended (and make money) for getting the result they were instrumental in shaping?

It's time for the NCAA, the ACC and SEC to get a clue as to the full story instead of the 12-second sound byte version which does sound racist and backwards: "The NAACP asked the State of South Carolina to remove the flag from atop the Statehouse, so they did and put it in a more prominent position just to show up the NAACP!"

Sounds bad. Ain't true.

This drives me crazy and makes me want to lobby the NAACP for change, not the state legislature. I was one of those out there actively supporting the removal of the flag before the NAACP even made it an action item. When they totally abandoned those who tried to reach a solution in 1996 and did little more than shrug at all pre-1999 attempts to get the flag down, some of us felt a bit like Cuban freedom fighters left to our devices at the Bay of Pigs. For the NAACP to now label us as racists for doing what they said (but failing to read their minds) is extremely offensive. For others to nod in agreement with the NAACP and support their call for a boycott over this result -- which I'm convinced they actually revel in -- disgusts me.

Sorry for sugarcoating how I feel about this, but if you want to see events come to Greenville, whether we're talking ACC Baseball Tournaments or other national events, the answer is not to move the flag (though I still hope that happens). The goal is to understand the chronology of events and get the word out that the NAACP's position is totally reprehensible and morally unconscionable.

You have great points. You should take the time to let the ACC and SEC know what's going on... It's worth a shot.

Did anyone go to the Furman v USC game tonight? How was the crowd? How was the atmosphere different from a normal Drive game?

I really hope this is succesful event tonight and that future matchups with other Palmetto state teams will become regular.

I drove by on Augusta and the place looked to be absolutely packed. The parking spaces in the area were all taken. People were easily visible up on the 500 Club Deck from outside of the park and there were people walking around the outside and along Augusta and Main Streets, too. I'm sure it was a sellout++. :thumbsup: Didn't go to the game though - too much going on this week and besides, I'm a Gator anyway. :lol:

I went to the game tonight.....packed!! :yahoo: Very curious what the attendance was. It was standing room only. How would we find out the attendance numbers, since it wasn't a Drive game?

South Carolina fans were stretched from home down to third and the grassy berm and Furman purple ran from home down to first and on over to the party deck. Great energy! Had to leave before it was over and meet some people, but when I left it was USC - 11 / Furman - 8. Hope Furman pulled it out!

And the Gamechickens did win 15-12...

I had fears that a midweek game might not draw a strong crowd. I am impressed.

I would say this sets the stage for future college baseball games at West End Field. It is quickly becoming a huge sport that is drawing big crowds around the region.

Clemson had over 15K for this past last weekends series with Florida State. The market is there. I would expect that there are numerous possibilities to get the Greenville area's rabid college sports fans to West End Field and then get them used to coming for Drive games.

I would expect that games like this have high profit margins as well.

You know what tells me that there are people involved in this who know what they're doing? I was over at County Square late this afternoon and there were two young guys who looked like parking attendants in the lot all the way over near the County Council chambers. Then I realized...there's a game that will be going on at West End Field. And a County Council meeting. And people parking cars for the game. And County Council members expecting to have their tree-shaded reserved spaces empty when they drive in. And someone -- with the team or the schools, I expect -- stuck two college-age guys by those precious reserved spaces to make sure that there were no negative repercussions from having Drive fans use the County Square lot (even though it's a serious hike from those reserved spaces). That's the sort of thing most people only think about after the proverbial fecal matter has hit the rotary air movement device. For all the talk about Craig Brown and his group being neophytes and not being long-time baseball people -- at least that's the reason most of the former G-Braves personnel and even Bombers personnel from last year expressed as their chief concern with the team -- I have to say that this operation is everything it should be and more. Maybe they were right about Brown not knowing baseball. Maybe that's exactly what was needed to make this thing click. (I know tonight wasn't a Drive game, but I see the hand of the team's management at work here...and, if not, this sentiment still applies to the rest of this season to date.)

The attention to detail of the Drive staff is amazing. I was telling some friends (we are all Clemson fans) that the Drive lapped the customer service experience we had received from going to a Clemson game.

I expect the Drive went out of their way to ensure tonight's game was a success, even more so than normal. Lots of fans who hadn't come to the stadium before, who were fans of the teams, now get to exponentially tell others in the state what a neat operation it is, and hopefully set up more positive Drive and occasional college experiences. Think I'm kidding? Read this from the Greenville News - you can't buy this sort of coverage from a Marketing firm:

While the Gamecock fans left happy with a win, virtually every who attended appeared to leave with a positive feeling about Greenville's new stadium.

"Oh man, I think it's a lovely facility," said Greenville resident Dario Smith, who played baseball at both Laurens High School and Morehouse College. "I kind of had the opportunity to walk through it and take a look from front to back. I really like it.

"There is definitely a different atmosphere and it's fun to be downtown. You feel like you're a part of the city."

USC coach Ray Tanner was impressed, as well.

"I don't know about the game, but I certainly want to commend the city of Greenville and the great fans here," said Tanner. "It was a wonderful environment. This is what college baseball is all about. I'm hoping I get to see this atmosphere and this kind of stadium in Columbia in a couple of years. It was really impressive."

http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...PORTS/605160383

^ Great article! I sat by a guy who was in town on business from Indianapolis, staying at the Hyatt and decided to walk down and spend the evening at the game. His praise for downtown Greenville and the ballpark was spine tingling.

The psychology of whats going on with this ballpark is just incredible. It's not just a ballpark and not just baseball.........it's much deeper than that......people are head over heels in love! :wub:

Did we really expect anything less from Greenvillians? :D

^ Great article! I sat by a guy who was in town on business from Indianapolis, staying at the Hyatt and decided to walk down and spend the evening at the game. His praise for downtown Greenville and the ballpark was spine tingling.

Praise for our downtown and ballpark coming from someone from Indy is pretty impressive, considering their downtown and Victory Field. That's awesome! :yahoo:

I wanted to be there so bad it hurt. But reading and hearing the outstanding comments you all and many others have made, gives me an incredibly warm sense of pride to be part of this infectious city. We may lack many things other big cities have, but I would not trade Greenville's charm and beauty for anything other larger cities have. :wub:

Thank you, Greenville!

Praise for our downtown and ballpark coming from someone from Indy is pretty impressive, considering their downtown and Victory Field. That's awesome! :yahoo:

Thats what I thought! Downtown Indy is great, so I took is as a big compliment to Greenville. Their field is a 5 star (I mean baseball) as well. I guess he had a good eye and could recognize another 5 baseball field. :D

You know one thing he said that impressed me as a good observation....he commented on Greenville's weather and how nice our evenings are, even in summer. He said he travels here frequently as well as some other Southern cities and he said we have "baseball weather". Said he had attended a game in another Southern city (which I won't name), just a couple of weeks ago and left halfway through the game because of bugs and the heat. Interesting.....could the great climate here be contributing to Greenville's baseball success????