Greenville Drive Baseball

My appreciation for the quality of customer service, the excellence of the venue and a quality baseball team at a cheaper price than the old Muni. is what will keep me coming back all summer, alas, does not change my opinion of the team's name. It's a name, like Grrrowl, that I just can't get used to.

Now I never thought the Reedy Rip'It was a bad mascot. I love it that school kid came up with it and the guy that performs does a great job.

I agree with all of the above (except the part about the mascot, which ain't my cup o' tea).

But, even though I agree with what you said...

...I think the lesson here is that the name -- from October through March -- was important to people because there was nothing else hitting the radar for them to opine about vis-a-vis the team. The things you've mentioned all conspire to reduce the significance of a terrible name to near insignificance. And, despite the Terribility Factor for the name, I think what's happening here is that the name is now pretty much locked in, like it or not. For those who are still bitter about the name (which is a stronger brew than my dislike for it), they'll need to come to grips with the fact that it's becoming "sticky" and I believe that it's here to stay.

I still find "Drive" to be a fairly disappointing name. The only difference now is that they are OUR Drive. It has nothing to do with my support of the team.

I am glad to hear that merchandise is selling well. If they were the Green Sox, however, merchandise would probably be selling at an even faster rate. Can't you see navy blue hats, with a green "G" in the same font as the Red Sox's "B" on the front, and the logo with two green socks on the side or back? Man, those would have been so cool, but oh well. Drive it is.

It will be interesting to see the staying percentage of these fans however. I remember going to hockey games back in 98 and 99 and there being crowds of over 12,000. Now they can't get anybody there. Maybe the drive will be different, but maybe not. Will they have the same problems in 2012 that the grrrowl have now? Everybody goes when it is new, heck even the grove had some decent crowds to begin with. We shall see.

There are honeymoon periods with new teams, whether minor or major league, when it comes to new stadiums.

Lots of pro teams draw well for a few years and then attendance drops off, so that is a danger and probably why it's best that this stadium is downtown and privately run so there will be incentives to keep being innovative about drawing fans.

The sticking point is how the Drive will do in year 3. Now they won't be succesful in year 3, unless they are successful today and they build a fan base, so that's a positive sign.

But everything they are doing today, they will have to keep on doing and not just expect folks to come, but with this group, I expect that.

I was very outspoken a few months ago about not liking the name of the team and even more outspoken about good ole Reedy. I've grown to be quite fond of the name.....I think it really does embody what Greenville is about. The logo for the G-Drive is also very well done. I think most people are pretty much in love with the Drive!

HOWEVER, Reedy.....this guy needs a little help.....a makeover. I was at the game last night and Reedy just simply is not funny. His costume is a little too clean lined and not exaggerated enough, his dance moves are very conservative and he spent very little time in stands. Remember Reggie, the standin before Reedy? He was funny....his costume was HIGHLY exaggerated, the costume had parts that moved when he walked and he seemed to really get up in the stands and "work" the audience. He had energy! Reedy seems to be lacking energy and umph. IMHO, the verdict is still out on ole Reedy Ripit. :D

A classic example of build it and they will come. What in the heck were the Braves thinking? If I am correct the Drive is getting way better crowds than they(Braves) are in Pearl. With the jewel that downtown Greenville is, it can't go wrong. Where can I find those average attedance numbers?

I went to today's game vs. the Augusta Greenjackets. The crowd wasn't greatly impressive, but not terribly bad - somewhere in the 3,000-4,000 range, by my poor ability to "guesstimate." In any case, the game was not boring, and the Drive showed up to play baseball. The pitcher earned Player of the Game, even though one of the fielders (Grenadillo sp?) hit two extremely high home runs over the Green Monster! The final score was 5-0, a one-hit shut-out for Drive pitching. :shades:

Jeff Natale went 3 for 4, but only crossed homeplate once because nobody behind him was offensively effective until the eighth inning. There were a few Drive players I would have given the Player of the Game award to. I mean, anytime a single batter crushes two homers over the Green Monster in consecutive at-bats, its hard not to acknowledge his performance as at least equal to the best in the game. The great thing to make note about our Greenville Drive is that yesterday they scored 15 runs, and today left several runners on base. They appear to be waking back up offensively. :thumbsup:

A classic example of build it and they will come. What in the heck were the Braves thinking? If I am correct the Drive is getting way better crowds than they(Braves) are in Pearl. With the jewel that downtown Greenville is, it can't go wrong. Where can I find those average attedance numbers?

You can also go to each website, and click on attendance. www.greenvilledrive.com www.mississippibraves.com To date, the Drive is averaging over 4,500 and the Braves are averaging around 3,200.