Greenville Drive Baseball

Here's an article on this Furman vs. USC game from the State.

What is it with the comments sections in that paper whenever West End Field is mentioned?

Odd...

BTW...I've heard rumors that if the right deal can be struck, i.e. playing in the new Gamecock stadium, the Columbus Catfish might consider moving to Columbia. Until then, the only non-college ball will be the Columbia Blowfish playing this summer, made up of college players in the summer.

BTW: We've talked about the ACC tournament before, it's been awarded back to Jacksonville until 2008, when it goes to Fenway Park for 2009- which surprises me. After 2009, no one knows.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to checking out the USA vs. Japan at West End Field.

Edited by whitehourseview

You have to wonder if the Braves ever have second thoughts about moving. Their attendance in Mississippi in only their second season isn't too stellar....average attendance for 20 games is barely over 3,000 and they are midway down the list in the AA Southern League attendance. Meanwhile, the Drive is averaging 4,500 per game for their 20 games and even though single A, has a higher attendance average than all but two of the AA Southern League. Go Drive!!!!! :thumbsup:

Okay, back to the topic at hand.... I actually have a press release from the Drive and basically those of you who have tickets will want to check up on time changes and a couple related items for Memorial Day weekend games.

OK,

This press release was emailed to me. I can't link to it, so is it OK if I post the body of it here? :whistling:

I don't see any reason not to. Thanks for the clarification, BTW. :thumbsup:

Thanks Skyliner.

GREENVILLE DRIVE PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

May 18, 2006

MEDIA CONTACT: Eric Jarinko

(864) 240-4515

[email protected]

Greenville Drive Announce Time Changes For Upcoming Games

Drive Add Fireworks Show for Memorial Day Weekend

Greenville, SC

VERY nice article in the Charlotte paper about the new ballpark and the Drive. Funny though, they refer to Falls Park as "Two Falls Park". :)

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...ba/14615947.htm

"Two Falls Park" - that's funny! I almost believe that the author hasn't spent time in the new facility or downtown Greenville, but it is another great review for the city. Thanks for the link, gsupstate! :thumbsup:

Attendance at today's 12:05pm Wednesday Afternoon Game vs. the Greensboro Grasshoppers: 3,814. That's just AMAZING! I suspect it will only get better once school is out for the summer, too. :shades:
Yep, the day camps and summer schools will buy group tickets to fill up a whole afternoon's activities for their urchins at a reasonable price, so I expect the place will be mobbed. Add in the shaded areas and cover from rain and it's all the more appealing than planning a trip to Municipal Stadium. The nursing homes and assisted living communities will also be more inclined to plan day trips under these weather-friendly conditions. Then, considering many don't really get into baseball until June, and I expect these day games will be closer to 4,500 a pop -- with perhaps a dip in August as summer camps wind down.

DON'T FORGET THE GAME TIME CHANGES THIS WEEKEND! They're now on-line (even if the promotional changes haven't been updated): http://www.greenvilledrive.com/schedule/schedule.asp (I think Sunday adds fireworks and Monday is when they will have the "Sunday Family Fun Day" activities, like the post-game running of the bases (kids only, please).

I was actually at the game yesterday as part of the 3,814. This was my first time in the park, and it IS a very nice facility! Yesterday was unofficially touted as senior day, and I was with one of many groups from area nursing homes and senior facilities. That would account for quite a few of the spectators. I must say that i would have thought the number would have been several hundred higher, bu then I am never good at guessing things like that. BTW the wiew from Spinx dining area is pretty impressive. If some of these projects get off the ground, it will be worth a postcard or two...

What a night!

It was a close game. The drive won 3-2 on an RBI by Yema with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. It was a record crowd of 6,481 announced on the video board. The Grasshoppers' Manager was ejected from the game after arguing a close (not really that close, but the umps didn't have a good view) play at first base where the first baseman missed a tag on Tony Granadillo...I had a great view of it from the second row of Section 117 (somewhat obstructed by little leaguers hanging on the wall) and he was clearly safe and the tag was clearly missed. The argument and the ejection were worth the price of admission, for sure. Afterwards, there was an AWESOME fireworks display. Not bad for a Friday Night in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. :shades:

Edited by RestedTraveler

What a night!

It was a close game. The drive won 3-2 on an RBI by Yema with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. It was a record crowd of 6,481 announced on the video board. The Grasshoppers' Manager was ejected from the game after arguing a close (not really that close, but the umps didn't have a good view) play at first base where the first baseman missed a tag on Tony Granadillo...I had a great view of it from the second row of Section 117 (somewhat obstructed by little leaguers hanging on the wall) and he was clearly safe and the tag was clearly missed. The argument and the ejection were worth the price of admission, for sure. Afterwards, there was an AWESOME fireworks display. Not bad for a Friday Night in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. :shades:

The crowds just get bigger and bigger! It won't belong before I read that West End Field's largest crowd has passed that of the Bilo Center... :silly:

These baseball attendance numbers are incredible. Tonights attendance is right at 800 over the ballpark capacity. I know in these cases it becomes standing room only. Question here, is there a fire code or city ordinance that will put a limit to these increases? I mean at some point, if it were to reach say 1,000 or more over capacity, will the Drive turn people away? These numbers are just incredible to see! I'm at the game tomorrow night with out of town friends and my partners parents...hope it's the same kind of sellout crowd! :thumbsup:

You're right btoy. Most people don't take the time who are happy with the decision.

How about this:

GDRIVEPOLL.jpg

Considering the first Memorial Day weekend crowd has set an attendance record for the Drive -- and they seem to keep setting and breaking them -- I wonder how many of these people who responded to the poll have been to one or more Drive games in spite of the name they hate....

...And, at this embryonic stage of the team's history, as you look at the attendance, would you -- as the imaginary team owner -- be exploring a team name change. even if Minor League Baseball said you could use the "Joe's" (or whatever name you happened to like most)? I know that I, for one, wouldn't be messing with a successful equation....

I have to make one observation here regarding the name. At EVERY game I've gone to, I've seen the G-Drive mini bats, G-Drive baseballs, G-Drive t-shirts, G-Drive hats, etc. in the hands of kids and adults alike. As much merchandise as they're selling at each game, I sure hope they don't change the name. :shades:

I've rather grown fond of it, believe it or not, too. :shok:

My appreciation for the quality of customer service, the excellence of the venue and a quality baseball team at a cheaper price than the old Muni. is what will keep me coming back all summer, alas, does not change my opinion of the team's name. It's a name, like Grrrowl, that I just can't get used to.

Now I never thought the Reedy Rip'It was a bad mascot. I love it that school kid came up with it and the guy that performs does a great job.