Greenville Drive Baseball

I was at this game, and I have to say that is was packed! In fact packed is not even the word. And the fireworks at the end were really cool. This is great for gville. Anybody think they might need to add a few hundred seats?

The "average" attendance number keeps climbing. Now up to 4,708, thanks to these 6,800 games that keep driving up the average. Way to go Drive! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, both of my daughter's have fallen in love with the stupid diddy.

I originally saw it a few years ago here.

Thanks for the link. Have some friends in NY that have never heard it. I kinda like the stupid diddy too. :D

Went and gave blood today. A first for me. Also the first time in the stadium, and I'm quite impressed. The folks at the registration table asked where I heard about the blood drive, so I made sure to plug UP - they even asked me to write down the address for them. So that was nice. They were very generous with the freebies; I even got two free tickets to the 7/21 game. :D I was slightly disappointed though because that meant they still didn't have 50 people (not affiliated with the Drive) donate, and this was in the evening.

That's awesome, Cap'n! Thank you for giving and thanks for plugging UP! :thumbsup:

I would have gone had I not been out of town. I'm curious...did you go to the early session or the later 4pm-7pm session? Hopefully you went early and they reached 50 people by 7pm. :unsure: The two game tickets, the Blood Drive T-Shirt, the free food, and the 10% discount at the Team Store (which is the max given to season ticket holders) is well worth giving blood. :shades: I hope they do this again next year and I hope I'm in town for it.

For those of you who may be interested in seeing major league talent... Boston outfielder Wily Mo Pena is supposed to play a couple games for the Drive. I don't know exactly when, but I would assume that it would be during this homestand, as he's expected to be back in Boston next week and he's supposed to play some games at AAA as well.

Did anybody see that insert for the Greenville Drive in today's Greenville News. Very interesting stuff. :lol: This is the kind of stuff the Grrrowl needs to do if they come back, which it looks like they will.

I just saw one today that was in the June 26th paper. Great insert!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: The right way to market. Interesting stuff.....the uniforms changing to green, selling half season tickets to meet the demand for tickets, note about attendance breaking an all time attendance record for Greenville minor league baseball, etc, etc. Very well done piece!

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/ar...x_of_the_south/ (GREAT STORY) :thumbsup:

-You might have to register, but it's free

I know this is a bit late, but I pretty much hated the article. From my perspective, you don't come from reading this article thinking, "Greenville must be a lovely, progressive place that really enjoys America's pasttime"; you come away thinking, "What a hickish, backwards place. I'm glad I live in the progressive North." This thing was so stereotype-laden it was sad. I've seen bad journalism before, but this one takes the cake. Not only does it do Greenville a disservice, but also the entire state and the South for that matter. I couldn't get past the first page without thinking, "OK, what's the real intent here?"

I was at this game, and I have to say that is was packed! In fact packed is not even the word. And the fireworks at the end were really cool. This is great for gville. Anybody think they might need to add a few hundred seats?

Considering the exceptional attendance numbers, and the fact this venue is in the center of the metro, and the fact the metro's population continues to grow....I really see the Drive's attendance over the next several years having much staying power with the numbers from this season, and even possibly going up. I don't know much about ballpark construction, but per distortedlogics comment above about extra seats, would they ever be possible at West End Field if needed? Add on to the ballpark? Additional seats?

Considering the exceptional attendance numbers, and the fact this venue is in the center of the metro, and the fact the metro's population continues to grow....I really see the Drive's attendance over the next several years having much staying power with the numbers from this season, and even possibly going up. I don't know much about ballpark construction, but per distortedlogics comment above about extra seats, would they ever be possible at West End Field if needed? Add on to the ballpark? Additional seats?

I think it's possible, but the economics are probably not strong enough to do something drastic like they've done at Fenway, where new seats are selling at a face value of over $100/seat. The most likely scenario I see is replacing the grassy berm with seats. There may be some room to do something in right field, but the railway leaves little room.

For those of you who may be interested in seeing major league talent... Boston outfielder Wily Mo Pena is supposed to play a couple games for the Drive. I don't know exactly when, but I would assume that it would be during this homestand, as he's expected to be back in Boston next week and he's supposed to play some games at AAA as well.

Nope. :(

We're more than half way through the Drive's season. So let's have a little report card for them.

Customer service: A+ - best I've seen at a sporting event in this area, I've been to hundreds of Clemson events for example, and the Drive have it down

Community outreach: A - Blood Drive, great advertising, not intrusive with the local five local churches literally across the street, great kids, 20 somethings, older folks activities

Baseball: not much the Drive can do about who the Red Sox send them, but there are times when I wish the pitching could be more consistent, but about what you would expect at this level, rare for teams to be great in low A ball

Food: for a ballpark, I'm really surprised at the prices and the quality

Negatives: I've gotten to where I really don't enjoy sitting between third and first, the music/PA tends to be a bit loud

The website could stand to have its content updated. I signed up for their email list, but haven't received one yet. Perhaps a postgame report email? That's small, but can be cheap and effective to drive marketing.

Opportunities: I hope in future seasons we can see things like more college baseball featuring some of the great Palmetto state ball clubs, a SAL All-Star game, a regular stop for the USA National team, etc.

I would be surprised if the Drive even think about expanding the seating area for several years. They need to have enough artificial scarcity and gaurantee that fans make Drive games a habit instead of just a first year buzz of excitement. That said, the stadium could probably host a Southern Conference or Big South tourney now and if they ever do expand the seating area, perhaps an ACC or SEC tournament.

My overall grade - A of course!

I know this is a bit late, but I pretty much hated the article. From my perspective, you don't come from reading this article thinking, "Greenville must be a lovely, progressive place that really enjoys America's pasttime"; you come away thinking, "What a hickish, backwards place. I'm glad I live in the progressive North." This thing was so stereotype-laden it was sad. I've seen bad journalism before, but this one takes the cake. Not only does it do Greenville a disservice, but also the entire state and the South for that matter. I couldn't get past the first page without thinking, "OK, what's the real intent here?"

I am also a bit late here... but I actually read that article in the Globe while I was in Boston, and I thought the same thing. The people they interviewed were... lets say interesting choises.

I think it's possible, but the economics are probably not strong enough to do something drastic like they've done at Fenway, where new seats are selling at a face value of over $100/seat. The most likely scenario I see is replacing the grassy berm with seats. There may be some room to do something in right field, but the railway leaves little room.

They can always build up...

Tomorrow's game is another sell-out, though you may possibly be able to get a standing-room-only ticket. Friday evening before July 4th and fireworks are more than enough to get people out. I am hoping for a new record, although I will be happy if they just reach 6,000. :D

:yahoo: More sell-out crowds! Love it!

Guess who will be in attendance at the Drive game tonight? Some clues:

He is in his 40's, a major league pitcher, and has a space-oriented nickname...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....S0601/606290345

Thanks for this Greenville! :thumbsup: Had heard that Koby was here with the visiting team, but had no idea his dad was coming to town. :thumbsup:

Guess who will be in attendance at the Drive game tonight? Some clues:

He is in his 40's, a major league pitcher, and has a space-oriented nickname...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....S0601/606290345

Hope he stuck around to see Logan Sorensen's walk-off Grand Slam in the bottom of the 11th. I wish I had been there to see that, myself. :yahoo:

We're more than half way through the Drive's season. So let's have a little report card for them.

Customer service: A+ - best I've seen at a sporting event in this area, I've been to hundreds of Clemson events for example, and the Drive have it down

Community outreach: A - Blood Drive, great advertising, not intrusive with the local five local churches literally across the street, great kids, 20 somethings, older folks activities

Baseball: not much the Drive can do about who the Red Sox send them, but there are times when I wish the pitching could be more consistent, but about what you would expect at this level, rare for teams to be great in low A ball

Food: for a ballpark, I'm really surprised at the prices and the quality

Negatives: I've gotten to where I really don't enjoy sitting between third and first, the music/PA tends to be a bit loud

The website could stand to have its content updated. I signed up for their email list, but haven't received one yet. Perhaps a postgame report email? That's small, but can be cheap and effective to drive marketing.

Opportunities: I hope in future seasons we can see things like more college baseball featuring some of the great Palmetto state ball clubs, a SAL All-Star game, a regular stop for the USA National team, etc.

I would be surprised if the Drive even think about expanding the seating area for several years. They need to have enough artificial scarcity and gaurantee that fans make Drive games a habit instead of just a first year buzz of excitement. That said, the stadium could probably host a Southern Conference or Big South tourney now and if they ever do expand the seating area, perhaps an ACC or SEC tournament.

My overall grade - A of course!

I agree with you on all the grades. Would like to add, the only B grade I would give, is still the speed of the food service. They have many people behind the counters, but it still seems always to be a little slow. Maybe it's just me and I'm an impatient person. :)

Ole Reedy Ripit could still stand to work on his GPA too! :)

Overall, this operation/team/ballpark definitely gets an A+!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is exactly the kind of southern prejudiced thinking I have talked about on other threads. It is sooo frustrating how other parts of the country view us at times. In this case it is "look how big time and superior we are, and how small time and backwards this little southern Bible-belt town is." This article was very poorly done. These crazy views people have of the South make me sick! :sick: