Greenville Drive Baseball

Well seeing as I lived in Jackson for a year, I feel OK commenting, and I'll try to keep it mature and polite. :)

Here is a quote from the article on Mississippi Braves attendance for the year:

"Only seven crowds this season had topped 4,000 in the 7,000-plus capacity stadium, while 13 were below 3,000."

Guys, that's really sad for a new park and a new club. The Drive is blowing their attendance away.

I was extremely shocked when they moved to JACKSON, not moved, that didn't shock me, but moved TO Jackson. The Braves are saving face in this article......I hope attendance improves for them.

I had a long, wordy post here, but I've errased it and lets just say I am so happy Greenville is where I live. I wish the best for Jackson and the Braves, but as a logical business move, it was questionable from day one.

I too think that was a side handed comment to Greenville by DeSalvo. The article is not complimentary to us, and says that Pearl has "more potential." It is pretty sad to work out frustrations about his current situation by dumping on his former city, a city that was plenty willing to work with the Braves for a new stadium. But, they made their decision, too bad they won't take credit for it.

I suspect he's just trying to make Lemonade out of Lemons. I've definitely never seen more people in a minor league ballpark keeping their own scoring in the game program than I do here at West End Field. You should have seen the proportion of 5400+ that stuck around through the bottom of the 9th last night (many of you probably did). Our gain! :shades:

"I was kidding with (team manager) Jeff Blauser after that game," said M-Braves general manager Steve DeSalvo. "I told him you keep winning like that and we'll keep drawing like that."

OMG...he can't be serious! I know, I know, he said he "was kidding." But that comment is typical of his thought process throughout that Clarion article. So, that whole article can't be serious.

The reporter talked to the baseball "snobs" who think that the bulk of minor league baseball fans are actually there for baseball. Count me among those who were attracted by the non-baseball reasons to attend games. You see, when I want a pure baseball experience, I will go to Atlanta or catch a game in another big league city while traveling. If I just want baseball and am willing to settle for less because I just love the game, then I've got plenty of options -- from T-ball on up to that team down the Interstate that's going to Omaha to play ball.

To get me to settle for less, Steve, you've got to compete. And having the team win games is not what it's going to take to draw me in and away from the gajillion other things I can do with my time and my disposable income. I AM a baseball fan. I saw every home game of Dwight Gooden's rookie season because he was that exciting and I went for no reason other than to satisfy that baseball pleasure node of my cerebellum. But even if the next Dwight Gooden's pitching for the M-Braves, he's still not that spectacular if he's, well, pitching for the M-Braves. That's why there has to be some extra value added to get people into the seats. Even the big-time baseball fans. Especially the big time baseball fans.

If a minor league GM is relying on pure baseball fans and a winning record to get people through the turnstiles, he's worthless to the organization. He's not John Schuerholz where he has any control over the fate of the roster. And once the team wins -- that means players are putting up numbers and guess what happens to those players? And he can't change the local demographics by making more people become knowledgeable baseball fans. In short, he's betting on things that are totally out of his control for the organization to be successful.

There is nothing in that article that says, "We're going to bust our butts to make people think of us when it comes to enjoying an evening or afternoon out." Nope. It's all about waiting for the real fans to come. The Ray Kinsella School of Minor League General Management, if you will. Sit back and they'll eventually show up.

In DeSalvo's defense, this isn't to say he's become a total dinosaur. For reasons beyond his control, he's an oddity in the world of minor league baseball -- being an employee of the big league team and obviously having to be loyal to them and looking out for their interests first and foremost, even before the fans. He has the luxury of being nonchalant about unimpressive attendance at a minor league park. After all, if you can spend your energy helping create prospects who, collectively, will generate a mere 20 more seats per game (at $30 apiece) for the Mother Team versus 100 seats per game (at $6 apiece -- and for a dozen fewer dates) you may as well invest your capital in developing player amenities at your park as you do for your ticket sales and promotional events that enhance you own team's fan experiences. Only the Braves and Indians organizations have minor league front offices focused primarily on enhancing the big league team's bottom line and not specifically on their local team's numbers.

I bet the M-Braves' clubhouse is totally sweet and the fitness amenities are top-notch.

In the end, is it any wonder, really, that there's been a 100% turnover in personnel from the G-Braves to the Drive. Is there any doubt that there's a direct correlation between that fact and the attendance figures?

Edited by Fiddlestix

The reporter talked to the baseball "snobs" who think that the bulk of minor league baseball fans are actually there for baseball. Count me among those who were attracted by the non-baseball reasons to attend games. You see, when I want a pure baseball experience, I will go to Atlanta or catch a game in another big league city while traveling. If I just want baseball and am willing to settle for less because I just love the game, then I've got plenty of options -- from T-ball on up to that team down the Interstate that's going to Omaha to play ball.

I don't think I have ever been to a minor league game in my life because I was interested in where the team was in a pennant race or the world class play. Occasionaly I would attend a G Braves game because Bo Jackson, John Smoltz, Jose Canseco, Ryan Klesko or Michael Jordan were playing; but they are not what keeps me coming back. I go for the experience. It better be easy to get to my seat, the food better be tasty, the mascot better be funny, the staff especially the ushers better be helpful. If the team wins, that's just nice.

I went to the Clemson Super Regional championship Saturday. I don't care what the official attendance was, if there were less than 7,000 fans there, I'd be surprised.

Hardly anyone was there for the experience. West End Field has Tiger Field beat for that. WEF must have a better experience for the fan, it has no choice in the matter.

Edited by whitehourseview

Does anyone have any information about the SAL All-Star game? There is nothing on the Drive website, and the SAL web site hasn't been updated since last season.

Any Drive players on the All-Star team?

Here you go, chief....(I'm relying on precedent here to provide the contents of a Drive press release for material not posted on their web site):

GREENVILLE DRIVE PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

June 8, 2006

MEDIA CONTACT: Eric Jarinko

(864) 240-4515

[email protected]

Chris Jones and Mark Wagner Named South Atlantic League All-Stars

Both Will Represent the Drive in the 47th Annual All-Star Game on June 20th

Greenville, SC – When the 47th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game is

played on Tuesday, June 20 at Classic Park in Eastlake, Ohio, the Greenville

Drive will have two representatives. Catcher Mark Wagner and starting

pitcher Chris Jones were chosen to be members of the Southern Division club.

This will mark the first time that either Wagner or Jones has been selected

to a league all-star game.

Mark Wagner, a 9th round selection of the Boston Red Sox in 2005, currently

leads the Drive and is ninth in the South Atlantic League with a .321

batting average. He also ranks fourth on the team in home runs (5), fourth

in hits (50), fifth in RBI (29), and third in doubles (12). From May 16th

through May 22nd, Wagner saw his average reach a season-high .362 when he

recorded a five-game hitting streak, batting 10-for-21 (.476) with a home

run, seven RBI, and three runs scored.

Chris Jones, who was promoted to Greenville on April 26, is a perfect 3-0 in

eight starts with the Drive. Jones has completely overpowered South

Atlantic League batters, posting a 1.94 earned run average and limiting the

opposition to a .200 batting average. On May 29, the former 29th round

selection of the Red Sox, along with two Greenville relievers tossed a

one-hit shutout versus the Augusta GreenJackets. Jones pitched 6.0 no-hit

innings, allowing just two batters to reach base and striking out a

season-high seven batters.

“We are proud of Mark and Chris to be recognized as South Atlantic League

All-Stars,” commented Drive General Manager Mike deMaine. “They both have

had an outstanding first half that did not go unnoticed by their peers.”

Tickets to all Drive home games can be purchased by calling the Drive Ticket

Office at (864) 240-4528 or by ordering online at www.GreenvilleDrive.com.

www.GreenvilleDrive.com

Edited by Fiddlestix

Some more information that includes late-breaking changes and promotions and news about upcoming Drive games, including the Zoo!perstars that will be here. Shark McGwire is awesome, by the way. We're lucky he's part of the lineup. Also there's a father-son catch on Sunday and an odd double-header where Greenville is going to be the visiting team at West End Field....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

June 13, 2006

(864) 240-4515

[email protected]

Father’s Day Weekend Gets Better With The Greenville Drive

Suspended Game from June 11th Added to the Drive Schedule

Greenville, SC – When the Greenville Drive host the Asheville Tourists this weekend at West End Field for the first three-game series of the season, fans will have an added bonus. Thanks to a suspended game in Asheville on June 11, Drive fans will be treated to a doubleheader on Saturday with first pitch set for 5:05 PM. Those holding tickets for Saturday’s game will be able to get into West End Field for both games of the doubleheader and gates will open promptly at 4:05 PM.

The first game, which will be played in its entirety, will be continued from the point at which it was suspended June 11th when the teams met at McCormick Field in Asheville, NC. Asheville will be the home team for the remainder of the game. The Drive and Tourists will resume play in the top of the second inning with the Drive at-bat. Game two of the doubleheader, in which Greenville and Asheville will play seven innings, will begin approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game. The Drive will be the home team for the second game.

The ZOO!perstars will also make an appearance Saturday. The ZOO!perstars are a zany, lovable act that has been wowing fans since 1998. Fans will surely be amazed as this crazy combination of animalistic superstars rock West End Field. The ZOO!perstars that will be in attendance Saturday night are Harry Canary, LeBronco James, Clammy Sosa, Tiger Woodschuck, and Shark McGwire.

Friday night will kickoff the weekend’s festivities as fans will be able to enjoy a spectacular fireworks display at the conclusion of the game.

Sunday is Father’s Day and all fathers in attendance will have the opportunity to play catch on the field with their children prior to the start of the game. If time permits, fathers will have the same opportunity at the conclusion of the game. First pitch is set for 5:05 PM.

Tickets to all Drive home games can be purchased by calling the Drive Ticket Office at (864) 240-4528 or by ordering online at www.GreenvilleDrive.com.

www.GreenvilleDrive.com

Edited by Fiddlestix

Out of curiosity, why isn't any of that information on the Drive's website? It's a good web site, but other than the latest game information, they haven't updated it much. The last photo album update is from back in February, no "kids" page for Reedy, etc. Just wondering, not that big a deal.
They'd do well to hire some college kid to be their webmaster...or at least their webupdater, that's for sure. Obviously I get press releases. But how do they communicate updated information to their season ticket subscribers? Express mail? E-mail? Newspaper? Telephone calling tree? Whisper campaign?

I have the impression from reactions here to press release information that the season ticket subscribers aren't in the loop as to team news and late changes to the schedule (and I'm talking baseball as well as promotions). That's wrong. The season ticket subscribers are full-fledged partners in this exciting adventure and they deserve better communication. The simplest way to do that would be through the web site, though I think that still requires subscribers to actively pursue information when it really should be spoon-fed to them.

Looking at the staff (at least the people listed on their web site...for what that's worth!) posted here, I don't see a webmaster. I think you've found the Achilles' Heel to the Drive's front office.

EDIT: There's a small feature in The Beat that covers Drive information of a non-baseball nature that's of interest to spectators. Of course The Beat comes out once every two weeks. And this latest press release came out today -- so the news probably isn't in the issue of the paper that came out today. Link to The Beat's coverage of the Drive: http://www.metrobeat.net/gbase/Expedite/Ar...tegory=oid:3449

Edited by Fiddlestix

Nice article I guess, but I don't get the political aspect to it, that seemed a bit forced to me. Times we live in I suppose.

Well that is what you can expect from someone living in Boston and not actually knowing Greenville - yes, even some local residents don't get involved enough to honestly know what is available to them. For what it's worth, I find Greenville to be a welcome home to people of every stripe, even if it is more ideal for raising families than most. I just took those statements as uneducated due to lack of real experience, and slightly biased.

It's just an interesting look at cultural/reporting angle I guess.

When I visit a ballpark, the first questions I have usually don't involve the spectators positions on gay marriage, conservative vs. liberal politics, etc. Just struck me as out of place for an article about a minor league baseball park.

Nice article otherwise, and as they say there is no such thing as bad publicity, but it's almost like the reporter is commenting on a foreign country.

While more publicity for the team and city are nice, I don't care for this article. It paints Greenville as an overly conservative, closed-minded town that is still preoccupied with the Civil War. I don't think that is accurate at all.

Perhaps I am in the minority when it comes to Greenville natives, but I never thought about the Red Sox being a "Yankee" team in a "Southern" town. The fact that such a thought even enters people's heads is a big concern. WHO CARES?!? It's 2006, not 1866. Move on, people. We're all Americans here.

I am sure that to someone living in Boston, Greenville does seem like a small city with old fashioned values - especially if you don't have any experience with the city. I wish this author would have checked his/her preconceived notions at the door. If so, the picture he/she saw might have been different.

Well said ^^.

I thought the comments about the hand towels sold on main street was out of context. I think everyone knows that is a joke... When I came to that part, my mind was thinking: "oh gah, She found rebel flags being sold or hanging in a window." and that's the way she paints those towels before she describes them... If anyone is living pre-civil war or in reconstruction times here, it's the author.

Nonetheless It's cool to featured in a such a "BIG CITY" newspaper. Thank goodness I am one of the few who can read 'round here. I'd hate to have missed out! :rofl:

Okay, since they are miserable when it comes to disseminating information via their web site, I'll try to keep fans up-to-date on news items that they release. Not the game summaries that you can easily obtain in a slightly modified form from Willie Smith of the Greenville News, but news you, the fan, can put to use. How to get a last minute giveaway. When promotions are scheduled or cancelled. And, how you can BE TREATED LIKE THE DRIVE'S OWNER WHILE LOSING WEIGHT FAST -- as detailed in this latest press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 14, 2006

(864) 240-4515

[email protected]

“Be a Designated Donor” For The Greenville Drive

The Blood Connection at West End Field on Tuesday, June 20th

Greenville, SC – You have the opportunity to help save a life on Tuesday, June 20 as the Greenville Drive and the Blood Connection team up to host a blood drive at West End Field. Those wishing to donate blood must be at least 17-years-old and can come between the hours of 11 AM – 2 PM, and 4 PM – 7 PM.

For those attending, the Drive will be offering several family-friendly events. The Drive’s lovable mascot, Reedy Rip’It, along with several members of the Greenville Drive baseball team will be available for photo opportunities and autographs. The first 50 donors will also receive two tickets to a July game.

In addition, the Greenville Drive will also offer a 10% discount to donors at their ever-popular merchandise store – where you can get anything from official Drive hats and jerseys, as well as t-shirts and items featuring Reedy Rip’It. Each donor will also receive a 2006 Blood Drive t-shirt, hot dog, chips, and a Coca-Cola soft drink.

Starbucks Coffee will also be on hand, providing complimentary coffee and pastries, as well as free drink coupons to River Place Starbucks. A drawing will also be held where one lucky winner will receive a stainless steel DeLonghi Coffee Maker, retail value of $129.

Founded in 1979, The Blood Connection is the largest non-profit, community blood center in upstate South Carolina. It provides 100% of the volunteer blood supply to all hospitals in Greenville, Greenwood, Pickens, Oconee, Laurens, Newberry Counties in SC, and Stephens County in GA. The Blood Connection has centers in four upstate counties and has an average of five blood drives every day collecting over 85,000 blood units each year. It serves as the connection between volunteer blood donors, hospitals, and patients needing life-saving transfusions.

www.GreenvilleDrive.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I'm a big fan of donating blood products. If I may brag, I gave 24 times in the past year (on a rolling 12 months basis), usually triple donations of blood platelets for cancer patients (about a 2 hour-long draw) via apheresis with a few red blood cell donations thrown in for good measure (which is nearly 5 lbs. of fluid all told when it's a triple platelet donation combined with red blood cells). As much as that sounds like a whole lotta blood, you should know that there's a guy I see over there every now and then who is the certified Guiness World Record Holder for blood product donations. If any of you do 6 whole blood donations (the quickie 5-minute jobs you can do at any blood mobile drive) in the next year (which is the max for that kind of donation), I will bow down before you and sing your praises. And if any of you squeeze in 24 platelet donations inside of a year, I vow -- before the entire Urban Planet community -- that I will go shirtless in a Speedo swim brief to a Drive game next year (preferably on a school night to minimize the trauma to children). Deal? Good! You can start RIGHT NOW! Click Here

Edited by Fiddlestix

Nice article I guess, but I don't get the political aspect to it, that seemed a bit forced to me. Times we live in I suppose.

I found the article a little strange....politics and baseball. I also found the stereotypes of the South to be cliche. I mean really, does anyone expect a 65 year old Southern Baptist to be for gay marriage??? If so, they have some out of touch expectations.

I've spent plenty of time in Boston and I don't expect their 65 year old Irish dad, Roman Catholic, union guy to be for gay marriage either, so should I call that out in an article about Fenway?

I found the article to be complimentary of Greenville in a "pat on the head" kind of way. Just a little odd, IMO.