Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

6 hours ago, BFG said:

Is this a residual effect from the offices in NOVA? And could we see an actual office open here in HR? 

1) Yes, 100%

2) Maybe, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

We've never had trouble getting warehouses from anyone built in this area, but office is another story...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SITW, Beach It!, and the Sand Soccer Championships turned a profit for the city this year. The Jackalope Festival did not, but it will be back in 2024. For SITW that's actually pretty impressive given the rain delay on the first day, and the entire 3rd day being washed out and people being refunded.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/10/17/review-finds-some-large-scale-events-turn-a-profit-for-virginia-beach-while-others-dont/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, walmartjamesbond said:

Anyone know whats going on with the Kemps River shopping center redevelopment? I saw it was approved by the city council in June but haven't heard much since.

Doesn’t look like it’s happening anytime soon if at all. Seems they have tenants for the former Farm Fresh and Rite Aid looking at their marketing flyers. Enson Market and Hub Asian Food Hall. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi UP - if you could take a minute to consider this petition I think it'd be a well worth it few minutes. RVA YIMBY with our partner chapters have spearheaded an umbrella group under the moniker 'Commonwealth Housing Coalition' which is lobbying for a number of supply side focused pro-development bills for this years General Assembly Session. More information in the petition text! 

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/join-the-commonwealth-housing-coalition-2?source=direct_link&

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Whatever it is. .....

Summit Pointe is about to eat our lunch. I don't know how city council can look at what's going on in Chesapeake and think it's in any way acceptable how much Armada Hoffler has been dragging their feet with us. Hopefully in the State of City they announced a new direction. The option for block two should be up very soon...

Edit: To add insult to injury Summit Pointe can *barely be considered a PPP, since other than some utility work and street improvements, the vast majority of the project has been bankrolled with private funds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Summit Pointe is about to eat our lunch. I don't know how city council can look at what's going on in Chesapeake and think it's in any way acceptable how much Armada Hoffler has been dragging their feet with us. Hopefully in the State of City they announced a new direction. The option for block two should be up very soon...

Edit: To add insult to injury Summit Pointe can *barely be considered a PPP, since other than some utility work and street improvements, the vast majority of the project has been bankrolled with private funds.

The Option is up next month. I have written emails to my council rep and to all others on VBCC 3x now. Most recent email was sent last month. My rep said he "can't disclose what goes on in closed session."  He  went on to say that he was "well aware" of Armada Hoffler's interests in other markets. 

Can we explain this? THE Pembroke Square is across the street!

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/ARMADA-HOFFLER-PROPERTIES-13170385/news/Armada-Hoffler-Properties-Inc-acquired-Pembroke-Square-Located-Adjacent-to-the-Town-Center-of-Virg-42994492/

Edited by baobabs727

The City of Chesapeake has contributed significant capital into Summit Pointe, including a share of the initial parking garage and commitments for road improvements beyond the site. I don’t have the exact number as it’s been awhile since I looked into it but it is certainly in the high 8 figures. But compared to VB Town Center, I’m fairly certain Chesapeake’s share of the costs are lower so I agree with you. AH has made it very clear that they have a competitive advantage at Town Center and any new supply they build would be cannibalistic. Competition is needed there badly and their acquisition at Pembroke Square was clearly anticompetitive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, this is RICH!!!! 

So. Media reports have it that Pharrell Williams' official, self-produced/self-penned biopic, "SET IN 1970's/80's Virginia Beach, Virginia, his hometown" is to be filmed in ...wait...for...it...RICHMOND!!  LMFAO!! You cannot make this sh*& up. 

I'm sorry, but you don't purport to actually portray your hometown of Virginia Beach in the 70's and 80's and then use RICHMOND as a backdrop. WTH!? 

I am really really hoping that we will soon discover that there will be many major scenes filmed right here in Virginia Beach.  You know, his hometown ...which, you know, plays a central role in his self-produced/self-penned  biopic.  Heh.

https://richmond.com/life-entertainment/local/movies-tv/pharrell-movie-filming-in-richmond/article_15a86fae-ec6a-11ee-ab99-03bcec65086e.html

• Like 1

That made me raise an eyebrow too. When the story was first announced a few years ago, he said he really wanted to set it here. I know Richmond gets a lotta film and TV productions and from what I understand being off 95 is one reason. 

But I can't see Pharrell not shooting at least one scene down here for the very reasons you mentioned.

• Like 1