Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Not what I read yesterday. The article I read yesterday said it was to be filmed in Virginia Beach. I will post a link if I find it.

2 hours ago, BFG said:

That made me raise an eyebrow too. When the story was first announced a few years ago, he said he really wanted to set it here. I know Richmond gets a lotta film and TV productions and from what I understand being off 95 is one reason. 

But I can't see Pharrell not shooting at least one scene down here for the very reasons you mentioned.

Edited by NFKjeff
Clarity
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Not what I read yesterday. The article I read yesterday said it was to be filmed in Virginia Beach. I will post a link if I find it.

So. Did you find the link?

https://www.pilotonline.com/2024/03/28/movie-based-on-pharrell-williams-virginia-beach-childhood-will-be-filmed-in-richmond-reports-say/

Another article reporting that the film will be made in Richmond. Well it sounds like Hollywood and Richmond.

Read the caption under the picture. It says that Richmond basically outbid Virginia Beach.  "Musician Pharrell Williams secured the money as a city subsidy, quadruple the amount that was originally proposed from Virginia Beach."

Also, there appears to be heavy editing because what I read just 20 minutes before was that the movie was originally set to be filmed in Virginia Beach but then Richmond offered more money. Now that part is deleted... it's very strange ... something very weird is going on. 

Edited by baobabs727

6 hours ago, BFG said:

That made me raise an eyebrow too. When the story was first announced a few years ago, he said he really wanted to set it here. I know Richmond gets a lotta film and TV productions and from what I understand being off 95 is one reason. 

But I can't see Pharrell not shooting at least one scene down here for the very reasons you mentioned.

Both of my eyebrows are now raised. Read the caption beneath the article I posted from the pilot. Richmond  offered four times the $$$$ amount that Virginia Beach offered as an incentive to film in Richmond.  How Humiliating. You know if I'm being snarky I'm about 2 seconds away from saying that Virginia Beach already gave Pharrell 150 million. Wonder how much Richmond gave him. Truth is truth.   

• Sad 1

Richmond’s film industry is much stronger than ours. They’ve gotten a few major projects thanks to their film office. A few years ago, I was an extra on the show “Homeland” which filmed not far from RIR so none of that surprises me. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BFG said:

Richmond’s film industry is much stronger than ours. They’ve gotten a few major projects thanks to their film office. A few years ago, I was an extra on the show “Homeland” which filmed not far from RIR so none of that surprises me. 

Oh ok, glad to know that you have since lowered your eyebrow lol.  Still thinking he will film at least one scene here? 

Received a reply to my inquiry from a vb councilperson. Stunning.  Let's just say that it's looking like some of us have been right about him all along. Very sad to report. You know, the blinding spotlight on Celebrity can mask many a character flaw. ;)  (Best of  luck to Chad Hugo)

Edited by baobabs727

5 hours ago, BFG said:

Someone mentioned it upthread but it looks like they will indeed shoot a bit in Hampton Roads as well. According to WTKR it’ll be shot in VB in 1977…would be hard to create a beach in RVA or ATL. 😄

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5Y195yutGr/?igsh=MWJuc3R5bjZubjRmaQ==

"Set" in Virginia Beach doesn't mean "filmed' in Virginia Beach. It just means that the scenes will purport to be in Virginia Beach or of Virginia Beach. Like underneath the scene it will say "Virginia Beach, 1977", but it will really be Richmond City or some soundstage up there.  And this goofball  on Instagram is the only one I've seen reporting that filming will be in Coastal VA. Four or more other sources say Richmond.  You might notice how Pharrell  hasn't said much of anything. Lol. The councilperson told me that Pharrell could hardly be found at SITW and was only talking to one former Councilperson right now. He has no relationship with this current Council or City leadership.  He said Richmond didn't really outbid Virginia Beach,; rather, Virginia Beach wasn't given a chance. As in Pharrell picked Richmond without any real communication with VB.  Of course there are always two sides to any story. Hopefully, Pharrell will give his side one day lol.   Anyway, I sure hope it's true that he will be filming here as well, but I'm going to reserve judgment. Seeing is believing, right? 

• Confused 1

On 4/6/2024 at 3:03 AM, baobabs727 said:

"Set" in Virginia Beach doesn't mean "filmed' in Virginia Beach. It just means that the scenes will purport to be in Virginia Beach or of Virginia Beach. Like underneath the scene it will say "Virginia Beach, 1977", but it will really be Richmond City or some soundstage up there.  And this goofball  on Instagram is the only one I've seen reporting that filming will be in Coastal VA. Four or more other sources say Richmond.  You might notice how Pharrell  hasn't said much of anything. Lol. The councilperson told me that Pharrell could hardly be found at SITW and was only talking to one former Councilperson right now. He has no relationship with this current Council or City leadership.  He said Richmond didn't really outbid Virginia Beach,; rather, Virginia Beach wasn't given a chance. As in Pharrell picked Richmond without any real communication with VB.  Of course there are always two sides to any story. Hopefully, Pharrell will give his side one day lol.   Anyway, I sure hope it's true that he will be filming here as well, but I'm going to reserve judgment. Seeing is believing, right? 

this is insane!  Where is the loyalty?????  Sheesh.......

• Like 1

The Virginia Film Office also mentions portions will be filmed here. I’d be willing to take their word for it, although Blaine Stewart (the “goofball” in that IG video) is an anchor for WTKR. I’d be willing to take his word for it as well. 

IMG_5749.jpeg

19 hours ago, BFG said:

The Virginia Film Office also mentions portions will be filmed here. I’d be willing to take their word for it, although Blaine Stewart (the “goofball” in that IG video) is an anchor for WTKR. I’d be willing to take his word for it as well. 

IMG_5749.jpeg

BFG, I was only going by the MANY journalistic reports (didn't you see them?) that said filming would be in "RICHMOND" ...with no mention of VB.  I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings re: the GREAT ONE, but I was being factual. 

So...getting to what you posted here...a social media post that we can both read which says, "Central and Coastal VA."   So... we might assume that this means Richmond ...and Hampton Roads. Ok. Good. Hope so. We shall see.

• Like 1

P.S. I would bet you anything that the release and timing of these brand new clarification releases/stories about the movie and the location of filming are NOT haphazard or coincidental.  You may not know this but  there was a TON of backlash and pushback/questions coming from the VB powers-that-be right after the first barrage of film news mentioned Richmond 100 zillion times and VB zero times (except for your goofball dude) re: filming locations. I'm not sure and am not saying that the filming locations actually  changed since that time.  Indeed, a more likely scenario is that the P.R. folks from Universal and PW, INC, etc.,  realized that they needed to get the full story out there (about VB being included in filming) , and fast. Trust me, there was a ton of back chatter going that will not likely get reported on.  Hoping this new reportage holds up. Screw Richmond lol. I'm guessing mostly Richmond back stages/lots will be used.   

Edited by baobabs727
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...