Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

9 hours ago, varider said:

The rest of the quote said this: "There has been no request for the current or a different weekend for next year. But I’m hoping we’ll have something soon,” Adams said in an interview this week. “If there is an event organizer, interested in running a festival here. We simply get a letter of intent or a request or an offer and that we then take to City Council to get City Council to react to.”

That's pretty standard. Just because they haven't made a request doesn't mean they're not going to. We're not even a month past the event yet.

• Like 1

I wanted to see what the outcome of this medical device manufacturer looking at Va Beach and seems many are still against it due its location.

https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-the-community/virginia-beach/vb-city-manager-says-project-wayne-would-involve-textile-medical-manufacturing

(they were talking about this when I was there) 

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-city-council-public-input-project-wayne/291-5283a99b-6983-4f56-b5e6-f8db9378b47e

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Hawk at the Jackalope Festival over the weekend. I’m not a skater but seeing him and others in action was pretty cool, and hopefully VB embraces the skater culture that was big here in the mid-80s. 

The young lady in front of him is Reese Nelson. She’s only 10 and killed it on the ramp!

IMG_9461.jpeg

• Like 4

The latest city council meeting is just wild. I can’t believe how incompetent and incapable of a group we have elected to lead this city. The bickering over Project Wayne is a new record low point IMO. We have developers knocking down the door to build (Capstone, Rudee Loop, Project Wayne, Amazon, etc.), and the council is engaged in “strategic delay” they claim?? Take so long to respond and take a position that the developers will just go away and leave us alone and leave our city status quo/on the decline? I truly despise city council at this point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, varider said:

The latest city council meeting is just wild. I can’t believe how incompetent and incapable of a group we have elected to lead this city. The bickering over Project Wayne is a new record low point IMO. We have developers knocking down the door to build (Capstone, Rudee Loop, Project Wayne, Amazon, etc.), and the council is engaged in “strategic delay” they claim?? Take so long to respond and take a position that the developers will just go away and leave us alone and leave our city status quo/on the decline? I truly despise city council at this point. 

Strategic delay? Wth does that even mean? Who came up with that gem?

18 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Strategic delay? Wth does that even mean? Who came up with that gem?

I just suggest you watch the last 30 or so minutes of the meeting.. I’m at a loss for words.  I’ve never seen such a dysfunctional group of adults. Schulman and Remick were the only two that even remotely stood up for common sense and the importance of economic development and the fact that we need to diversify the economy and that these projects don’t come along but every blue moon. Councilman Taylor kept throwing a fit about how he’s being “lobbied” and “harassed” by special interests and the Chamber to proceed with the project, but all the average every day citizens are opposed, but he did kind of spill the beans about Capstone, and how the city shot down that huge development opportunity because of opposition, and doesn’t see why they wouldn’t do the same here. Rouse finally spoke for one of the first times, and had absolutely nothing intelligent to say, I could barely understand the point she was trying to make, something about public land should be used for public uses, idk, and Henley claims to have some secret parcel of land that is ready for industrial development but is in private hands. It was just a true disaster of a conversation, and if I were the potential developer or anyone on a mission, I wouldn’t waste my time with this council or the strong NIMBY opposition. The city never developed a vision for itself. The citizens don’t want it to grow, council just wants what the citizens want, and there is just absolutely no initiative to grow or attract or develop business. Even when opportunities fall into our lap, we fumble them because we simply have no identity and can’t even agree on the basic premises like whether or not we NEED more jobs. I can’t place all the blame on the local government. Yes, they are inept and ineffective and simply not strong leaders, but the general public that elected them and tolerates their incompetence is also at fault. If there was ANY sort of support to counter the overwhelming opposition, we might be able to have different conversations around here. But as long as Council truly believes the vocal NIMBY anti development anti growth voices are the only ones with opinions, we are absolutely stuck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 1:13 PM, varider said:

I just suggest you watch the last 30 or so minutes of the meeting.. I’m at a loss for words.  I’ve never seen such a dysfunctional group of adults. Schulman and Remick were the only two that even remotely stood up for common sense and the importance of economic development and the fact that we need to diversify the economy and that these projects don’t come along but every blue moon. Councilman Taylor kept throwing a fit about how he’s being “lobbied” and “harassed” by special interests and the Chamber to proceed with the project, but all the average every day citizens are opposed, but he did kind of spill the beans about Capstone, and how the city shot down that huge development opportunity because of opposition, and doesn’t see why they wouldn’t do the same here. Rouse finally spoke for one of the first times, and had absolutely nothing intelligent to say, I could barely understand the point she was trying to make, something about public land should be used for public uses, idk, and Henley claims to have some secret parcel of land that is ready for industrial development but is in private hands. It was just a true disaster of a conversation, and if I were the potential developer or anyone on a mission, I wouldn’t waste my time with this council or the strong NIMBY opposition. The city never developed a vision for itself. The citizens don’t want it to grow, council just wants what the citizens want, and there is just absolutely no initiative to grow or attract or develop business. Even when opportunities fall into our lap, we fumble them because we simply have no identity and can’t even agree on the basic premises like whether or not we NEED more jobs. I can’t place all the blame on the local government. Yes, they are inept and ineffective and simply not strong leaders, but the general public that elected them and tolerates their incompetence is also at fault. If there was ANY sort of support to counter the overwhelming opposition, we might be able to have different conversations around here. But as long as Council truly believes the vocal NIMBY anti development anti growth voices are the only ones with opinions, we are absolutely stuck. 

This is truly disheartening. I'm not going lie, I've given serious consideration to tapping out here. This city is stagnant and unmotivated, and I just don't see a way out. Been putting out feelers job wise in different places to see who bites. I'd hate to leave this area, but I'm not getting any younger. I want to live in a vibrant community before I get too old to enjoy the benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

This is truly disheartening. I'm not going lie, I've given serious consideration to tapping out here. This city is stagnant and unmotivated, and I just don't see a way out. Been putting out feelers job wise in different places to see who bites. I'd hate to leave this area, but I'm not getting any younger. I want to live in a vibrant community before I get to old to enjoy the benefits.

You and I are in the same boat. About 15 years ago I was gung-ho about leaving this area. And then Norfolk and VB seemed to make strides towards becoming big cities. They wanted to expand light rail, build an arena, maybe even bring pro sports here, so I thought “What the hell? I’ll stay a few more years…”

Then they went back in time. I dunno what’s happening but I wish they’d make up their mind whether they wanna be a big city or Mayberry and stop wasting our time. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Wow I can't believe the Va Beach city council is still talking and mulling over that medical device manufacturer.  At some point they will look at their other options and I can tell you if any of them are in NC they will be fast tracked to approval. I do agree you need to diversify your economy locally and attract new employers thus attracting new residents.  Granted I had not been in Norfolk or Va Beach until last month (before that it was 20 years ago) and the first thing I noticed was something I did not see.  I did not see a lot of construction I saw some but very little compared to the major metros of the Carolinas (Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Charleston, Greenville, etc)  Cities either grow or stagnant and eventually decline.  Plenty of examples around the country.  I know the Tidewater has some geographical challenges with lots of water and wetlands but some of it is man made like the Green Line urban boundary.  While open space is important and preservation of wetlands and sensitive areas even more important some areas are suitable for development especially if under a flight pattern for industrial development.   It sounds like the city council is very anti growth which is a shame.   But companies have options and NC is lurking nearby and would welcome such a company with open arms as that kind of manufacturer is our state's wheelhouse for sure.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/15/2023 at 1:13 PM, varider said:

Wait. What? "Shot down" Capstone? When? I have heard nothing about the City telling them to go away. Where and when were the public forums and Council debates on this project?

On 6/17/2023 at 10:03 PM, vdogg said:

This is truly disheartening. I'm not going lie, I've given serious consideration to tapping out here. This city is stagnant and unmotivated, and I just don't see a way out. Been putting out feelers job wise in different places to see who bites. I'd hate to leave this area, but I'm not getting any younger. I want to live in a vibrant community before I get to old to enjoy the benefits.

I've been feeling that way for maybe 7- 10 years. Had too many roots at that time, but now nothing. Everything is sold, or most everything. Family is gone. Well, I guess it's time to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, varider said:

Unfortunately I think it's relocating from Norfolk to Va Beach. Maybe there are a some extra jobs in the expansion hopefully.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 9:45 PM, KJHburg said:

Wow I can't believe the Va Beach city council is still talking and mulling over that medical device manufacturer.  At some point they will look at their other options and I can tell you if any of them are in NC they will be fast tracked to approval. I do agree you need to diversify your economy locally and attract new employers thus attracting new residents.  Granted I had not been in Norfolk or Va Beach until last month (before that it was 20 years ago) and the first thing I noticed was something I did not see.  I did not see a lot of construction I saw some but very little compared to the major metros of the Carolinas (Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Charleston, Greenville, etc)  Cities either grow or stagnant and eventually decline.  Plenty of examples around the country.  I know the Tidewater has some geographical challenges with lots of water and wetlands but some of it is man made like the Green Line urban boundary.  While open space is important and preservation of wetlands and sensitive areas even more important some areas are suitable for development especially if under a flight pattern for industrial development.   It sounds like the city council is very anti growth which is a shame.   But companies have options and NC is lurking nearby and would welcome such a company with open arms as that kind of manufacturer is our state's wheelhouse for sure.  

I agree with you both. After living in Virginia Beach for my entire life a job opportunity presented itself in Raleigh and we left. I miss home but it's been a breath of fresh air to live in an area that is far more progressive and does an overall good job of pushing for and embracing change and growth.  I feel like the 757 has not changed much in the last 25 years and in some ways is just kinda just hanging on for dear life while other regions are enjoying massive growth and are leaving them in the dust. When I see how things have grown here in just the past 5 years, I can't help but wonder what Hampton Roads could have become if the leaders didn't have their collective heads up their a##ses. The area had a far greater potential that will now never be fully realized because they failed to take action and now the ship has sailed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:23 PM, HRVA said:

Looks like a pretty big economic development announcement got pulled at the last minute yesterday. A $1.5 million grant was to be awarded by the Development Authority with the recipient announced by the Governor before the meeting. Not sure the scale that kind of grant warrants but it’s significantly larger than recent announcements. Hopefully whatever it is, it’s just delayed and not dead. 

The ZIM deal appears to be the economic development announcement that was delayed. Disappointed it wasn’t more significant especially since the company more or less already announced their expansion when they bought their building last year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mistermetaj said:

Unfortunately I think it's relocating from Norfolk to Va Beach. Maybe there are a some extra jobs in the expansion hopefully.

300 existing jobs have retained from Norfolk, with 300 additional jobs expected in VB over the next 5 years 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mike A. said:

I agree with you both. After living in Virginia Beach for my entire life a job opportunity presented itself in Raleigh and we left. I miss home but it's been a breath of fresh air to live in an area that is far more progressive and does an overall good job of pushing for and embracing change and growth.  I feel like the 757 has not changed much in the last 25 years and in some ways is just kinda just hanging on for dear life while other regions are enjoying massive growth and are leaving them in the dust. When I see how things have grown here in just the past 5 years, I can't help but wonder what Hampton Roads could have become if the leaders didn't have their collective heads up their a##ses. The area had a far greater potential that will now never be fully realized because they failed to take action and now the ship has sailed. 

You can grow without the progressive BS!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buildthetowers said:

You can grow without the progressive BS!

Economic development is very bi partisan here in NC as most cities want to grow their tax base with the exception of one county Orange home of Chapel Hill they are pretty antigrowth turning down a Bucee's along I-85.  But that is the exception in NC even the city of Chapel Hill has figured out that it needed to grow its tax base and starting approving larger projects.   Liberals and conservatives both want growth for sometimes for different reasons but here in NC most want growth. 

It seems from what I can see is that Va Beach city council is not as interested in new development as other cities and that is unfortunate.  When office space was growing across the USA they might have made sense as you have plenty of options there but with most economic development  projects being more manufacturing oriented now like this medical device project they need land.  From what I read that urban growth boundary the Green Line is from 1979 which is 50 years ago and back then there was probably plenty of room left for development but now it is different story. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Economic development is very bi partisan here in NC as most cities want to grow their tax base with the exception of one county Orange home of Chapel Hill they are pretty antigrowth turning down a Bucee's along I-85.  But that is the exception in NC even the city of Chapel Hill has figured out that it needed to grow its tax base and starting approving larger projects.   Liberals and conservatives both want growth for sometimes for different reasons but here in NC most want growth. 

It seems from what I can see is that Va Beach city council is not as interested in new development as other cities and that is unfortunate.  When office space was growing across the USA they might have made sense as you have plenty of options there but with most economic development  projects being more manufacturing oriented now like this medical device project they need land.  From what I read that urban growth boundary the Green Line is from 1979 which is 50 years ago and back then there was probably plenty of room left for development but now it is different story. 

So grow with rot eventually leads to decline!

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

https://thalhimer.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/CorporateCenterV_4425CorporationLn_VB.pdf

Too bad Zim couldn't be convinced to anchor a new tower on Block 2.  70K sf existing building purchase, above.  

Oh,they could have been, but Armada Hoffler has their eyes on prizes in places that aren't named Hampton Roads. They've had enough tenants dropped in their laps to build a second tower for years now, but they are content with just holding on to their cash cow and stagnating. The only ones capable of moving this ball forward now are on City Council, which doesn't give me much hope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1