Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

On 6/20/2023 at 11:23 PM, vdogg said:

Oh,they could have been, but Armada Hoffler has their eyes on prizes in places that aren't named Hampton Roads. They've had enough tenants dropped in their laps to build a second tower for years now, but they are content with just holding on to their cash cow and stagnating. The only ones capable of moving this ball forward now are on City Council, which doesn't give me much hope.

The sad part is that all we really needed from Council lately is for them to stay out of the way. Like you said, opportunities have fallen into our lap, and this council has shot them down, turned them away, and made it much more difficult of a process than necessary to govern here. VB will grow to be a big city one day. They may be successful (for now) at getting in the way of progress and slowing down the inevitable, but future generations will see the potential we all saw in this area, and the growth and activity will come. I think VB was so happy with the ZIM news because it was safe, and they didn’t need anything from the city (like a land transfer or rezoning), and honestly because it’s only 300 more jobs. I think VB gets nervous when companies talk about 2000+ jobs. They literally say things like “where will these people live” or “where will the kids go to school.” It’s unbelievable the micromanagement and over-analysis that goes on in our local govt. If they would just let some things be, we would actually have a fighting chance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The bigger problem is that there’s quite a few NIMBYs who don’t want development. They want the city to be the small town it was 60 years ago, and think they speak for everyone else. They are the ones who vote for everyone from president all the way down to the dog catcher, and so my guess is that council wants to placate them more than anything. 

It’s still BS and as long as council lives by that mantra, this area will never make it to the next level. You can’t operate like Mayberry with a population of almost 500K. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BFG said:

The comments were actually more balanced than I expected, but it's the typical NIMBYs I'd expect to hate anything happening in Virginia Beach.

Right. Interesting exchanges there.  However, I thought the idea of an "anonymous," single Councilperson being excited by the vague prospect of Federal $$'s for LRT in VB was less than newsworthy.  

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, vdogg said:

Kinda surprised they didn’t mention how much the sports center impacted the convention center. I’m sure the events it lost once the sports center opened are big hotel room generators. I am glad they (kind of) mentioned the Capstone project but wish it was referenced by name rather than glossing over it. Also wish they discussed the results of the sports center audit, which is mentioned but once again just glossed over. Curious what the convention center’s numbers looked like pre-pandemic and pre-sports center - really a one-two punch to their figures. 

• Like 1

Honestly, outside of graduations, RV/car shows, and Comicon I can't think of too many other events the Convention Center hosts. I know the Junior Olympics came here about 8 years ago, but the Sports Center can handle those events. I've photographed a few conferences there, but those could just as easily be held in a hotel ballroom or the Sandler Center.

Years ago, the old Pavilion held nationally-televised boxing matches featuring Sweetpea Whitaker. Even though most high-profile events like that go to Vegas, I do wonder if they could bring back boxing or MMA in the VBCC.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-city-council-moves-closer-new-music-festival/291-1625005b-bc16-4727-a3c5-96769c72f899

VB approves (7-4) new music festival in October, same week as Boardwalk Art Show. We truly have witnessed an explosion in events at the Oceanfront. Incredible, really. I commend the City for putting their money where their mouth is when it comes to tourism investment. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 7:51 PM, KJHburg said:

and yes I took my friend who just moved here south to the Pungo  and Creeds area today.  She was stunned at the farmland.  

Urban growth boundaries have their pluses and minuses

20230505_141112.jpg

20230505_141118.jpg

20230505_141652.jpg

20230505_141656.jpg

I forgot we had farmland so close to our area. Given, I dont really leave Norfolk/North VB too much but the whole area  is urban. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Art Institute in Town Center is closing. Nothing to do with Town Center itself, instead, this has all the markings of ridiculously poor management. All their campuses nationwide are closing effective tomorrow. I feel for these poor students, you can't tell me they didn't know that they were going to have to close their doors before today. The fact that they gave people no notice is dumbfounding to me.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/09/25/the-art-institute-of-virginia-beach-abruptly-closes-surprising-college-community/

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, BFG said:

Is this a residual effect from the offices in NOVA? And could we see an actual office open here in HR? 

Nope and nope. HR already has multiple delivery stations, and the robotics warehouse is the same as what was built in Suffolk. They are all over the county and generally fulfill local/regional orders.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Nope and nope. HR already has multiple delivery stations, and the robotics warehouse is the same as what was built in Suffolk. They are all over the county and generally fulfill local/regional orders.  

There are many many many delivery stations across the country, this is true. However, Amazon only operates 13 other major fulfillment centers like this across the country and one is in Suffolk. The major sort center will be Amazons 17th of its size. 

Hampton Roads after its construction will hold some of amazons largest buildings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, walmartjamesbond said:

There are many many many delivery stations across the country, this is true. However, Amazon only operates 13 other major fulfillment centers like this across the country and one is in Suffolk. The major sort center will be Amazons 17th of its size. 

Hampton Roads after its construction will hold some of amazons largest buildings. 

They are certainly impressive buildings but it’s a relatively newer type of center and there are many in the pipeline. HR will not be unique in having two. 

• Like 1