Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Not much in the issue out last night. Articles on Mills redevelopment (Monaghan and one in Sburg). Article on the TR-Gville Trail.

Not much new info in TBA either.

City council is selling a small park in Haynie-Sirrine for SF houses. The proceeds will be used to buy adacent land for a replacement park. Not a done deal yet, but in the works currently.

One story on Thomas Creek beer and another store on City Scape wine....must be a thirsty bunch over there.

TBA was kind of rehashing of a lot of old stuff as well.

Cover was about city and county wrecks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article on the Tram Trail, too....it was more or less rehashing what we've already learned.

Edit: Ignore me...read the last posts too quickly. I see you already mentioned the "TR-Gville Trail."

Well, in this case I suppose it's good that the paper wasn't delivered to me this week as it usually is. Sounds like a re-run or the issue they wrote a week in advance because they went on a company retreat this past week.

Meanwhile, going back to an earlier discussion about weeklies scooping the Greenville News, how about the Beat coming in (on May 16) with the story about the Humane Society and the County sorting things out: http://www.metrobeat.net/gbase/Expedite/Content?oid=oid:3853

Wasn't much too it this week.

Cover Article about a Greenville Author who writes children's books that teach about politics.

A bizarre ariticle about a guy from New England that is a life-long Red Sox fan that is now moving to Greenville and is asking for a job performing maintenance at West End Field.

An (now obsolote) article about the Grrrowl's upcoming Ad Campaign.

TBA

• Camperdown Condos may be back on track for construction.
  • Tourism numbers are up for Greenville County, in part due to the interest in West End Field and the Drive.
  • The bio-medical industry could be the next "next big thing" for the Upstate.
  • TIC Properties spent $20 million for office space in Texas, yet everyone is curious as to when they'll begin rennovating BoA Tower in Greenville.
  • RiverPlace and Cooper Carry have been nominated for the CEMEX U.S. Building Awards for design excellence.
  • Bowater sold off 1,000 acres of its land holdings in York County.

I don't think I left anything of development importance out. That's about it.

Very good story in there about the remodeling of Haywood Road cinemas...a company has pumped $3.5 million into it to make a printing press...also nice history of cinemas in Greenville

Update on Rosen vs. BMW...trial has been pushed back three months.

funny stuff on the worth repeating page

Very good story in there about the remodeling of Haywood Road cinemas...a company has pumped $3.5 million into it to make a printing press...also nice history of cinemas in Greenville

Update on Rosen vs. BMW...trial has been pushed back three months.

funny stuff on the worth repeating page

That is Indexx Printing Solutions moving into their new Haywood Road location.

from the 6-9 edition:

-- Greenville County trying to lure Freedom Weekend Aloft back from Anderson. To be held somewhere in Southern Greenville County.

-- City working on light pollution ( again)

-- Independent businesses to hold a festival to promote shopping at locally owned businesses.

-- Really comprehensive election report

TBA:

--Southern Professional Hockey League says it can get a team in Greenville in 2007

--City angling to get TIC Properties (the guys behind Bank of America) to take over Woolworth's site. Could this mean that entire block finally gets developed?

-- McAlister Square renovations

-- Bell South making a play for state's cable contract

McAllister is getting new landscaping. Several parking spaces are being converted to landscaped islands. Some of them rather large. It should look a lot better. I am not aware of anything else planned, but they may well be.

There's a plan to add more buildings close to Pleasantburg, and maybe tear down some of the existing structures. No timeline, but it sounds like this could be the first step.

Though, I'm more excited about the Woolworth's spot

from the 6-9 edition:

-- Greenville County trying to lure Freedom Weekend Aloft back from Anderson. To be held somewhere in Southern Greenville County.

-- City working on light pollution ( again)

-- Independent businesses to hold a festival to promote shopping at locally owned businesses.

-- Really comprehensive election report

TBA:

--Southern Professional Hockey League says it can get a team in Greenville in 2007

--City angling to get TIC Properties (the guys behind Bank of America) to take over Woolworth's site. Could this mean that entire block finally gets developed?

-- McAlister Square renovations

-- Bell South making a play for state's cable contract

I always thought it was a big mistake for Gville to let FWA get away in the first place, never understood that one. I haven't been to it since it has been in Anderson, but would probably go if it were closer.

Know anything about the Southern Pro Hockey League?

Isn't woolworth the same site GvilleSC has been talking about the possible development/highrise project (was 27 strories now reduced)? I wonder if we could get GvilleSC to tell us if TIC is the company making those plans (hint, hint)

I always thought it was a big mistake for Gville to let FWA get away in the first place, never understood that one. I haven't been to it since it has been in Anderson, but would probably go if it were closer.

Isn't woolworth the same site GvilleSC has been talking about the possible development/highrise project (was 27 strories now reduced)? I wonder if we could get GvilleSC to tell us if TIC is the company making those plans (hint, hint)

HAHA, I honestly don't know anymore than I've passed on to yall. Hopefully we'll all hear something soon

HAHA, I honestly don't know anymore than I've passed on to yall. Hopefully we'll all hear something soon

entire block from BOA to main street, from coffee to washington is being acquired by one developer to build out. tear down the bridge/office over the piazza, raze and build out the woolworth (rumor sez 3/4 owned at present, with 1/4 coming soon), parking lot and old fashion bldg on south side of piazza. to be built back as mixed use, multi-level (mid-sized) development.

i, for one, hope the grass stays and gets enhanced whatever he does.

then DPR needs to finally ok enhancements (including tearing down the 'fake' wall) on bergamo bldg on the north side of the piazza. allowing bldg owner to bring it to 'period' exterior as opposed to the lovely coral color is currently is. :thumbsup:

I agree! I went to the festival this year. It was nice, but I'm not sure what, but it could have been better... Anyway, I'd love to see it back in Greenville County. Imagine the jump in our tourism bucks then! I had forgotten that our huge increase included losing a major festival!!!

I'd also like to see Miss South Carolina return to Greenville. BUT I'm just glad it's in the upstate, so I won't ask for too much :)

entire block from BOA to main street, from coffee to washington is being acquired by one developer to build out. tear down the bridge/office over the piazza, raze and build out the woolworth (rumor sez 3/4 owned at present, with 1/4 coming soon), parking lot and old fashion bldg on south side of piazza. to be built back as mixed use, multi-level (mid-sized) development.

i, for one, hope the grass stays and gets enhanced whatever he does.

then DPR needs to finally ok enhancements (including tearing down the 'fake' wall) on bergamo bldg on the north side of the piazza. allowing bldg owner to bring it to 'period' exterior as opposed to the lovely coral color is currently is. :thumbsup:

The piazza will never be authentic as long as the Grass is there, it is a horrible waste of space, I say pave it over. Last time I went to Downtown Alive, there were plenty of people, but not a sole on the grass.

The piazza will never be athentic as long as the Grass is there, it is a horrible waste of space, I say pave it over. Last time I went to Downtown Alive, there were plenty of people, but not a sole on the grass.

:thumbsup: Right on Btoy

Grass has the "do not touch" aspect. It divides the space more than the bridge building in my opinion.

I agree! I went to the festival this year. It was nice, but I'm not sure what, but it could have been better... Anyway, I'd love to see it back in Greenville County. Imagine the jump in our tourism bucks then! I had forgotten that our huge increase included losing a major festival!!!

I'd also like to see Miss South Carolina return to Greenville. BUT I'm just glad it's in the upstate, so I won't ask for too much :)

I don't care if we get the Miss South Carolina Pageant or not, but it would give more exposure to the Peace Center, which is a much better venue for those types of events anyway.

I remember how successful Freedom Weekend Aloft was in Greenville, and would love to see it come back, since I have not been to any of the ones in Anderson.

There was an annual air show at Donaldson which would draw people in from all over as well. Usually, it included the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds.

Just glancing at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Prof...l_Hockey_League

The Southern Hockey League is apparently a lower rung than the ECHL and appears unstable, even moreso than minor league hockey can be.

Archived