Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Just a quick nod of support to Fiddlestix for bringing up part of the "welfare" discussion that rarely makes it into conversation. I don't know that I agree with the passion with which you stated your point, but the point about rich folk getting more than our share of public subsidies is well made.

I do think our public subsidies earmarked for the poor are often poorly targeted and sometimes do not provide enough incentive (i.e. realistic hope) for people to pull their lives together and struggle out. Sometimes it looks like they are set up specifically to avoid doing that! :(

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I think we've gone off topic here. So this will be my last post to this subject.

Just to clarify, my point was not that "many of the people receiving handouts...are not legitimate." In fact, I would argue almost the opposite. I think most people receiving aid are legitimate.

I can't imagine many people ...if given a real choice... choosing public assistance. I can imagine (in fact know) many people who choose to remain on public assistance because they don't see any realistic way out.

I totally understand your point, interestedexpat. I think (or rather know) many of these individuals do have the option to get out and find a job though, but choose to continue living off of the hand-outs. In any case, I am not disapproving of all Governmental aide, just the ones that don't require improvement over a period of time. As we all know, these neighborhoods inevitably become crime-ridden and poorly maintained over a period of time. This carries its negative effect into many other areas within a city.

That can't happen. For one, it's section 8 (government subsidized) housing. They're all poor and/or disabled. You'd have to find somewhere for those people to live.

Agreed- and I did some investigating, and some of the other government-subsidized housing things downtown have waiting lists. I'd think the gov't or somebody should just construct a newer building somewhere else.

Actually, this can be done. Look at the Jesse Jackson Townhomes site and East Washington Street eastward of Laurens Road. The federal government is taking action by demolishing these aging derepair structures in favor of single family housing to shed its given image. Towers East will meet its fate soon; a new facility will be necessary.

My wife is a disability examiner for people who apply for social security disability. As a taxpayer, I am appalled by the sheer number of able bodied, but lazy, people who apply for assistance. Many of these people know how to work the system to their benefit, because half of their family members and neighbors get the monthly check.

Believe me when I say, the system is broken.

Housing segregation by income is one of the worst things that ever happened to the American city. America created the ghetto, and now it is reaping what it has sown.

We didn't invent the ghetto, it has been around forever in some form or fashion.

Thanks for the inside veiw Chickenwing as I suspected many people can work , but they choose to manipulate the system for their own personal gain. As i stated before I know there are people who need and deserve the extra help what we need is a better system to help sort out the riff raff.

My wife is a disability examiner for people who apply for social security disability. As a taxpayer, I am appalled by the sheer number of able bodied, but lazy, people who apply for assistance. Many of these people know how to work the system to their benefit, because half of their family members and neighbors get the monthly check.

Believe me when I say, the system is broken.

Agreed chickenwing. My father-in-law used to have rental properties in NY. One of his tenant's explained to him that she was going to make sure she "raised her daughter right". She then went on to explain that she taught her all the nuances of the sytem and how to get the most out of it. Its amazing how a welfare state can create a perspective like that.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe the sytem needs to be there. I have a brother who due to a physical handicap needs assistance. But to see an able bodied person rather work the system than work at a job makes me crazy! :angry:

The "East Washington" site you're refering to is the Arcadia Hills project. We have a thread for it somewhere around here.

The East Washington site he is refering to is on the Eastern most portion of East Washington St. Its thru the intersection going up the hill. Its where a majority of Hispanics live now.

We didn't invent the ghetto, it has been around forever in some form or fashion.

I'm speaking of the ghetto as it arose in the 60's/70's specifically as an American creation by hypersegregation of the poor. All of the factors that came together to bring it into reality are specific to America.

Aside from drastic exceptions, historically I am not aware of national conscious policy-making decisions which dictated the creation of concentrated communities of poverty within cities. In America, white flight, the federal interstate highway system, redlining and other forms of housing discrimination, so-called "urban renewal," and just plain ol' racial discrimination created a social cultural monster unlike anything we've ever known. All of these factors (and there are more) didn't just "happen"; they were conscious, meticulously planned events of which we as a nation have reaped the whirlwind.

It wasn't, nor did I claim such. I only cited it as a factor in the creation of the American ghetto (among other things, like accelerating suburban sprawl). If you know anything about the history of the federal interstate highway system, particularly as it regarded African American and other marginalized communities, then it makes sense.

See this article for some in-depth info.

Okay, dude -- here's what's amazing. You joined on March 1 and you've got over 1,000 posts? Wow!

:lol:

Sorry, I forgot all about this thread after I posted on May 9.

Anywho, what can I say? I have way too much time on my hands. I spend most of my time posting on the Louisiana and Shreveport-Bossier subforums, but I do spend quite a bit of time in other areas as well. And when I get on a posting kick, watch out!

Good talking with you.

Later,

Brian

Seventeen posts per day on average will do that for ya. And I thought I had a lot to say. :lol:

Believe it or not, there are people on here with more to say. My Arkansas buddy, Mith242, has somewhere between 20 and 30 posts per day. Some of us just talk a lot, I suppose. :lol:

If you guys want to talk, I'm game (obviously!!)

TBA:

* City will review revenue streams from Expo Centerto see how the center is doing in terms of shows.

* A Jazz Festival is in the works. It is early in the process, but there is hope that it will be a signature event.

* The Pete Hollis Hwy. may et some funds fro mthe Viola St. TIF district, which ahs about 100,000 in unused funds.

* Funding for GTA is geetting a lot of attention. The feeling is the Bussystem needs a dedicated revenue source.

* The idea of creating a Sports Council to attract events such as NCAA tournaments, etc. is being floated around town.

Articles:

** City Hall Plaza: City Manager says "there are issues and 'fatal flaws' with some of the proposals that council needsto discuss. Council can ask for final revisions before making a decision. The Gville Local Development Group was supposed to review the plansbut that was delayed until council could review them. Tampa-based Opus South Corp. did not include a rendering in it's bid.

** Carlton Owens' Upstate House which is an environmentally-friendly demo. project

** Opinion piece on Biking in Greenville

** Former Gville Mayor Bill Workman takes City Manager's job in Bluffton SC (pop. 1,275). Bluffton has recently expanded from 1 sq. mile to 53. [Gville = 26 sq. miles]

** RV Dealer show cancels annual Palmetto Expo event

** Concentration of Plastic manufacturers in Upstate

** Commerce Club up for sale

** Declining traffic at GSP

Not much in the issue out last night. Articles on Mills redevelopment (Monaghan and one in Sburg). Article on the TR-Gville Trail.

Not much new info in TBA either.

City council is selling a small park in Haynie-Sirrine for SF houses. The proceeds will be used to buy adacent land for a replacement park. Not a done deal yet, but in the works currently.

Archived