New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

It seems like teams are getting away from building straight-up domes and doing mostly retractable roofs.  Am I right about that?  Of course, some are building just normal outdoor facilities…but when it comes to enclosed stadiums…I’m thinking most nowadays are retractable roof.

I am coming in late to this one, but have they even said a fixed or retractable? seems as if a retractable will really drive the cost and maintenance up by a lot.

2 hours ago, henburg said:

This would be incredible and SoFi is an amazing-looking venue, but it's also the most expensive NFL Stadium by a few billion dollars.  With Adams-Strunk reportedly liquidating assets in order to make this work at all, I wouldn't expect something like this.

Oh absolutely would be a money thing at this point haha. I flew in to LA back in November though and the fact they are able to utilize the roof with projected imagery is really impressive. Seeing that Nashville has a flight path over downtown, talk about an innovative advertising revenue or cool city messaging board.

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

U.S. Bank stadium I believe has ETFE (IE a plastic) covering for half of their roof to allow sunlight in. ETFE is much lighter than glass. Perhaps Titans could do this? 

image.jpeg.39062f7d508735cb5f679c1471aa969e.jpegimage.jpeg.6d8e852245ae054ac9189cb0897a21c5.jpeg

Roofing materials have come a long way in recent decades with a multitude of options.

Hell we could even look to Munich for a cool inspiration with its acrylic glass and steel supports. I think this is a bit too modern for Nashville, but is pretty inspirational to think about.

1a46fed185a573809bc6142c52a5aad9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

Doesn't the FIFA World Cup Committee require a retractable roof for domed (covered) stadiums? 

I believe they just require real grass for domed stadiums that don't have a retractable roof... so install grass a week before the game for those stadiums. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I believe they just require real grass for domed stadiums that don't have a retractable roof... so install grass a week before the game for those stadiums. 

It is natural grass, yes. AT&T ( Dallas) and NRG (Houston) I believe are the only stadiums that I believe are fully enclosed. I would think they would want open air if possible. I'll quote myself from the Soccer thread here, but the expense of putting natural grass down in the stadiums is not going to be a cheap endeavor. Not only putting it down, but keeping the grass alive.  

On 5/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, Bos2Nash said:

Interesting article (from September 2021) about how Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta is talking about a conversion to natural grass surface, but only temporarily because natural grass in the retractable roofed stadium is not feasible. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united/mercedes-benz-stadium-faces-challenge-of-natural-grass-for-world-cup/OH6XT5RCLNFB5N5QF3C6R3JT6I/ (Open the article in Chrome's "Incognito Mode" to read)

Here are some tidbits:

"Early in the design phase of what became Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Falcons executives hoped to have a natural-grass playing surface under the retractable roof. But an extensive “sun study” determined that was not an option. “What we found was … it is impossible to have natural grass in the building because the building is so tall we don’t get enough light on the field to grow the grass,” Bill Johnson, the stadium’s lead architect, said in October 2013."

"Because FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, has a firm requirement that any stadium hosting the 2026 World Cup must have a natural-grass playing surface, Mercedes-Benz Stadium’s artificial turf would have to be temporarily replaced with real grass, which would have to be kept thriving for more than a month."

"Eleven of the 23 North American stadiums under consideration as sites for the 2026 World Cup have artificial turf, according to a FIFA bid evaluation report. All 11 have accepted that they’ll have to convert to grass if they’re among the 16 stadiums chosen for games."

"“There is lots of technology that exists these days,” Smith added. “We just need to get it right. And we have experts on our side, and we are working with multiple third-party companies and consultants as well. Obviously, we will share all that knowledge with Atlanta in terms of coming up with the best plan forward. That’s not a concern. Technology is there. Capability is there. It just needs the proper planning, care and timeline and to do it properly.”"

"Two NFL teams, the Arizona Cardinals and Las Vegas Raiders, have gone to extraordinary lengths to play on natural grass in retractable-roof and fixed-roof stadiums, respectively. The Cardinals’ rollout grass field is contained in a 40-inch-deep tray that is rolled outside the stadium on 546 steel wheels resting on 13 railroad-like tracks to get sunlight on non-game days. Similarly, the Raiders’ new stadium features a sliding field tray containing a natural-grass playing surface, which is rolled outside, powered by 72 motors, into the sunlight on non-game days." – This should not be an option for the new stadium as the plan is to develop around the stadium and this type of technology will take up too much valuable real estate.

18 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:
1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

It is natural grass, yes. AT&T ( Dallas) and NRG (Houston) I believe are the only stadiums that I believe are fully enclosed.

NRG Stadium has a retractable roof, but they almost never open it because it’s too damn hot most of the time!

• Thanks 1

Since fall is usually just gorgeous here (70s, sunny, no humidity most days from mid-September thru early December) during the bulk of football season, it would be great if the roof was retractable so the crisp air and sunshine could be appreciated.  Additionally, it would keep air conditioning bills lower during that time of year.  We know that spring can also be quite pleasant (although a higher chance of rain), so events booked during that time frame could also benefit from an opening roof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah…I can’t think of any teams building actual closed domes anymore.  I’m pretty sure most (if not all) are retractable.  Really like having best of both worlds…but like Ron said…I’m sure it’s quite a difference in cost and maintenance. 

The only recently built closed dome that comes to mind is Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas for the Raiders. That one is completely enclosed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MIRDY said:

The last three stadiums built in the NFL are all enclosed structures with no retractable roof. Allegiant stadium, SoFi stadium and US Bank stadium. 

US Bank has an enclosed roof, but the entire west wall of the stadium opens up. The doors are 55' wide and range from 75' to 95' tall.

SoFi is slightly operable as the video above states, but the roof also doesn't touch the seating bowl on three sides allowing the natural air to flow in and out of the stadium

Allegiant Stadium may have a fixed roof, but they also have an 80' x 215' wall that opens up to allow for natural air to come in.

So while the roof may not be fully retractable, they are not fully enclosed stadiums.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, titanhog said:

It seems like teams are getting away from building straight-up domes and doing mostly retractable roofs.  Am I right about that?  Of course, some are building just normal outdoor facilities…but when it comes to enclosed stadiums…I’m thinking most nowadays are retractable roof.

Nope; three of the last four built have fixed roofs:  US Bank in Minneapolis; Allegiant in Las Vegas and SoFi in Los Angeles (canopy).

Edit:  Page broke so I didn't see the comment regarding this...but it isn't the last three, it's three of the last four that have opened.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shanky said:

I have no faith that the parties involved are going to build anything original, aesthetically pleasing,  or modern.  Nothing more trite than a fully enclosed domed football stadium.  

With a budget of 2.2 billion, making it the second most expensive stadium in the league, I doubt it would be underwhelming.