New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

Bna, usually you and I see eye to eye on things, I think taxpayers are getting hosed in this deal. The Titan’s owners are not shelling out cash as some here might believe, they are relying on increases in the tax base on Metro land to pay their portion. They are not liquidating assets as many on here believe. This is worse than the already bad deal NY state just gave the Bills.

When they start touting charity work by the players as a reason to build the stadium you know it’s a bad idea.

i say all this as a massive Titans fan, the math just makes zero sense.

The tax base increase on future mixed-use development was originally conceived to pay Metro’s portion of the cost of a stadium renovation. That redirected tax base, the hotel occupancy tax rate increase, and the $500M state bonds predicated upon a dome are all in addition to what Titans would contribute. The real question then becomes how much of a gap would remain, who would pay for that and how. That information is not yet available. 

• Like 4

It will be interesting to see if the Titans organization actually comes forward with a check for $700 Million…or as Samson says, it’s going to be tax money from the development…or something in between.  Plus…it appears the city is going to have to somehow come up with $800 Million or they’re totally depending on that money to come from development taxes / rent / etc.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, bwithers1 said:

The tax base increase on future mixed-use development was originally conceived to pay Metro’s portion of the cost of a stadium renovation. That redirected tax base, the hotel occupancy tax rate increase, and the $500M state bonds predicated upon a dome are all in addition to what Titans would contribute. The real question then becomes how much of a gap would remain, who would pay for that and how. That information is not yet available. 

That’s good to know. I had it wrong then. If they are truly making a 700 million cash contribution I am much more pleased. Will need to see it first.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Logan McCoy said:

I'm not making excuses for the Adams family, but I do think it's worth putting this into context.

A quick google search says Amy Adams Strunk's net worth is around $1.5B. Now, let's talk about annual revenue the team makes. I don't think it's all that much after you account for player salaries, taxes, etc. Check this link out: https://www.forbes.com/teams/tennessee-titans/?sh=73c1a9362d80. So Adams is literally liquidating all of her finances to come up with around $700M. Their net worth is literally tied up in the value of the franchise. Someone tell me where I'm off here? I can't figure it out. Yes, she is a billionaire, but let's talk about  cash flow! It ain't there?!

The team goes up in value by over $100 million a year, the NFL is about to sign massive new TV contracts.  How much of the Adam's contributions are actually NFL grant money?  I promise you she is not liquidating assets to fund this. The wealthy do not sell assets, they take loans! She is not incurring a tax hit to do this. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Logan McCoy said:

I'm not making excuses for the Adams family, but I do think it's worth putting this into context.

A quick google search says Amy Adams Strunk's net worth is around $1.5B. Now, let's talk about annual revenue the team makes. I don't think it's all that much after you account for player salaries, taxes, etc. Check this link out: https://www.forbes.com/teams/tennessee-titans/?sh=73c1a9362d80. So Adams is literally liquidating all of her finances to come up with around $700M. Their net worth is literally tied up in the value of the franchise. Someone tell me where I'm off here? I can't figure it out. Yes, she is a billionaire, but let's talk about  cash flow! It ain't there?!

You’re correct 

31 minutes ago, samsonh said:

The team goes up in value by over $100 million a year, the NFL is about to sign massive new TV contracts.  How much of the Adam's contributions are actually NFL grant money?  I promise you she is not liquidating assets to fund this. The wealthy do not sell assets, they take loans! She is not incurring a tax hit to do this. 

How much of the $100M value increase per year is actually tangible? LOL. My house has increased in value but unless I sell that asset I'm not recognizing that value... 

And let's be real. Metro is the landlord for the stadium. The Titans are the tenant. In what world does a tenant put a lot of money into a property they don't own? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Logan McCoy said:

How much of the $100M value increase per year is actually tangible? LOL. My house has increased in value but unless I sell that asset I'm not recognizing that value... 

And let's be real. Metro is the landlord for the stadium. The Titans are the tenant. In what world does a tenant put a lot of money into a property they don't own? 

That $100 million is tangible in the same way. They can easily go to a big bank and get a loan against the team to finance their portion. As to the second, it is customary for tenants to put money into properties they do not own. Commercial real estate is built on this. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Who is covering the debt service of all the bonds while the mysterious entertainment district is built out?

YES.  This is a vital question, and one that is being glided right past in a lot of the (very friendly) media coverage being provided by the likes of Axios Nashville and the Tennessean.  There is a temporal problem that is pretending that the entire surrounding district is magically appearing, fully built in 2026 or sooner, which is just not true.   I suspect that we are going to see a lot of funny math come out on this issue.

And completely agreed about the problems with this strange contradiction building, where there are these PR leaks about the poor, courageous Adams family liquidating everything to come up with "$700 MM" , which would mean that they have no liquidity to back up or stand up this overall deal.   Sounds to me like if the Adamses can barely afford to maybe finance the fancy Porsche but wouldn't be able to afford to put gas in it or cover repairs,  then maybe they are just going to have to  put a bit of money into their current used car to get it running acceptably for the long run......

• Like 3

11 hours ago, samsonh said:

Bna, usually you and I see eye to eye on things, I think taxpayers are getting hosed in this deal. The Titan’s owners are not shelling out cash as some here might believe, they are relying on increases in the tax base on Metro land to pay their portion. They are not liquidating assets as many on here believe. This is worse than the already bad deal NY state just gave the Bills.

When they start touting charity work by the players as a reason to build the stadium you know it’s a bad idea.

i say all this as a massive Titans fan, the math just makes zero sense.

That was more of an approval of the sentiment that Tennessee's cities shouldn't be fighting one another.

• Like 3

One thing I can say about this new building.  Whatever they build needs to be something that can be easily updated over the next 50-60 years…not something that will go out of style or is built in a way that update costs are prohibitive.  Keep it simple with amazing “bones” and think longterm.

• Like 4

On 4/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, markhollin said:

Titans CEO: History Shows Impact New Stadium Can Have.

More at SI.com here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-burke-nihill-new-stadium-50-years

Hoo boy,  this writer is carrying a lot of water for the Titans.  To start, not sure who fed him this one:

"Metro Nashville has pledged another $500 million, and the franchise has committed to the rest, which will be upwards of $700 million and could exceed $1 billion." 

Far worse is that the Titans are actually getting any writers to go along with the "economic impact" arguments this time around.  The studies are pretty clear,  especially for second stadiums after a city already has a team, that the economic impact benefit is not there.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:48 PM, titanhog said:

One thing I can say about this new building.  Whatever they build needs to be something that can be easily updated over the next 50-60 years…not something that will go out of style or is built in a way that update costs are prohibitive.  Keep it simple with amazing “bones” and think longterm.

That's a pretty spot-on description of the current stadium, but it didn't stop the Titans from wanting a new one. The only question is the "bones" of the Car Hole and as noted previously that's far from settled.

32 minutes ago, Melrose said:

The studies are pretty clear,  especially for second stadiums after a city already has a team, that the economic impact benefit is not there.

To be fair the jump from an open stadium to a dome would probably make an impact. But calculating that impact should be easy as well, just cancel out all the current events the stadium attracts and only count the ones that need a roof.

• Like 1

Nashville's ability to raise its hotel-motel tax to pay for a new NFL stadium cleared a major hurdle after passing the Tennessee Senate finance committee Tuesday.

The bill would give the Metro Nashville City Council the ability to raise its hotel-motel tax by 1%. A 1% increase could generate an additional $10 million per year to pay for debt on a new enclosed Tennessee Titans stadium. 

Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp. CEO Butch Spyridon said the amount could be closer to $20 million per year if the city's tourism numbers continue at a previous pace.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2022/04/26/nashville-hotel-tax-new-tennessee-titans-stadium/7444373001/

• Like 1