The Coronavirus thread

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ yeah, I know. F' em.

Lets make their efforts to deny democracy to citizens while simultaneously endangering peoples lives front and center this election year. The Wisconsin supreme court just ruled that any Wisconsinite  who wants to exercise their right to vote in their primary must show up at the polls tomorrow and stand in line....  I think that's gonna leave a mark.

#Revolution

In Milwaukke, only 5 of the 180 polling places will be open due to a shortage of poll workers.

It's a shame how the courts seem so partisan as well. Including the supreme court so there is no point in even trying for an emergency stay. 

Boycotts by companies,  driven by their customers,  have worked in other cases as we know too well. It's now too late to stop this travesty but not too late to label them the pyrrhus they are and close up shop. 

From state Sen Jacksons office,

NC-Covid-Brief-1-4-6-20.pdf

On another note,

This dude makes my stomach crawl:

Salon: Franklin Graham tells Judge Jeannine that pandemic happened because world "turned its back on God".
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/06/franklin-graham-tells-judge-jeannine-that-pandemic-happened-because-world-turned-its-back-on-god/

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Ridiculous that these people are out and about like this. Nearly 1 in 50 people in NYC is confirmed to be infected which means in those photos you are looking at active cases. With that much viral load in the public, folks are being needlessly reckless being in such a crowded environment. FWIW, same goes for people in places that have much lower infection rates too (like NC and SC).   Now is not the time to be in crowded public spaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Ridiculous that these people are out and about like this. Nearly 1 in 50 people in NYC is confirmed to be infected which means in those photos you are looking at active cases. With that much viral load in the public, folks are being needlessly reckless being in such a crowded environment. FWIW, same goes for people in places that have much lower infection rates too (like NC and SC).   Now is not the time to be in crowded public spaces.

Yeah, here in the City of Greenville they closed all of the parks, playgrounds, bike trails, etc. You can’t even go to Falls Park. Signs, barricades, and caution tape are up to keep people out. They also set up a curfew downtown from 11pm-6am nightly, have cops patrolling all over the place with their solid blue lights on, and set up  an ordinance where every open business in the city limits must have customers six feet apart in their stores. If they don’t follow this ordinance, they can be fined or even have their business license revoked if it becomes an ongoing problem. Unlike the Governor, the mayor and city council aren’t taking any chances here. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yeah, here in the City of Greenville they closed all of the parks, playgrounds, bike trails, etc. You can’t even go to Falls Park. Signs, barricades, and caution tape are up to keep people out. They also set up a curfew downtown from 11pm-6am nightly, have cops patrolling all over the place with their solid blue lights on, and set up  an ordinance where every open business in the city limits must have customers six feet apart in their stores. If they don’t follow this ordinance, they can be fined or even have their business license revoked if it becomes an ongoing problem. Unlike the Governor, the mayor and city council aren’t taking any chances here. 

That gives me hope. I’m worried people are going to start relaxing a bit too soon as it’s only human nature. We are so close to really putting a major hurt on this virus if we can stay the course for another month. And unfortunately, maybe even one more after that. But I see light at the end of the tunnel for this summer in the Carolinas. 

Israeli based pharma company with operations in RTP of NC has potential treatment for the virus being tested and used in Italy on patients there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/04/07/raleigh-pharmas-potential-covid-19-treatment-to-be.html

NC based Kontoor maker of Wrangler and Lee jeans makes 60,000 hospital gowns.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/04/06/greensboro-company-will-make-60-gowns-to-aid-fight.html

and I do think it is really good news that the peak of this virus in NC has been moved up to April 13 from April 27 and deaths drastically reduced (and I think they will be less than their own models that have been adjusted) 

• Like 1

Rare optimism from kermit. Malaria was arguably a bigger challenge to eliminate than Corona. It also had larger (but less temporaly confined) economic impacts than Corona. The disease still  causes more than 400,000 deaths per year worldwide.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kermit said:

Today's chart shows us that he weekend data-reporting-lag  head-fake effect is still with us. Yesterday's data told us nothing about trend direction, tomorrow should help clear things up.

46.jpg

I can’t find today’s chart but NC DHHS reports 354 hospitalizations today (and 3,221 total DIAGNOSED cases -- this number is certain to be 10-100 times higher due to testing shortage) so we have resumed our upwards trajectory. The decline on Saturday and Sunday was just a weekend burp (likely a data artifact), not a trend.

https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/covid19/covid-19-nc-case-count

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

The Hill: Trump says IG report finding hospital shortages is 'just wrong' | TheHill.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/491454-trump-says-ig-report-finding-hospital-shortages-is-just-wrong

I'm sure tomorrow we'll learn

A) he didn't say this and the reporter is mean, ugly, stupid or whatever.

B) it's all fake news. 

C) Fox will say it was a joke or something equally inane. 

• Thanks 1

The giant field hospital at UNCC South Village in now on hold due to revised hospitalization predictions (from UNCC general update email)

Update on South Village Move Out
This evening, Mecklenburg County announced that current projections for COVID-19 overflow patients are lower than original estimates, which means social distancing efforts and stay-at-home orders are having positive results in our community. The University has been notified by the county that the options for standing up a mass care facility are under review, including the request made of UNC Charlotte. Pending a final decision by the county, Chancellor Dubois has suspended the second phase of the move-out for South Village residence halls this week. Please read this message from Chancellor Dubois for more information.

Just after I posted this the Ledger reported:

She [Dena Diorio] also said Atrium Health and Novant Health, which had requested a 3,000-bed field hospital at UNC Charlotte last Thursday, have now revised their request and instead need one that’s only 600 beds near uptown. The Army Corps of Engineers would build the field hospital, which would be staffed and supplied by the hospitals, Diorio said.

Different subject: I walked through Latta park today and was surprised to see that the basketball court, and everything else, had been shut down.

Edited by kermit

The United States' coronavirus death toll reached 12,722 on Tuesday evening, with an increase of 1,736 deaths during the day. That number marks the most deaths recorded in a single day so far.

According to data supplied by Johns Hopkins University, the previous record for the most new US coronavirus deaths added in a single day was 1,344. That was reached on April 4.

• Sad 2