The Coronavirus thread

4 hours ago, Skyybutter said:

The Trump administration is sending out checks in the amount of $1,200.

I'm sorry, but exactly what is $1,200 supposed to do/fix/prevent? 

This is a shocking statement. The Trump administration isn't sending these checks, much as this president wants the people to believe it's his benevolence which is providing this money to them. Congress architected the (three?) initial packages for aid to individuals and businesses, Donald Trump just signed the bills to send the bills (i.e. $$$) and to give the government permission to "print" more money.

It's my belief that this is the first of many payments to attempt to provide a tiny cushion to the economy to soften the blow and attempt to prevent the continued downward pressures from the economy for being even worse. At a micro (individual) level, I could see why this is a pittance. It might cover utilities (electric/water/internet/cell phone) for a quarter or a portion of a month's rent. At a macro level, the 1,200 x 100,000,000 people is $120 billion potential for additional money moving through the economy (just to work in nice, round numbers). 

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 4

This is a shocking statement. The Trump administration isn't sending these checks, much as this president wants the people to believe it's his benevolence which is providing this money to them. Congress architected the (three?) initial packages for aid to individuals and businesses, Donald Trump just signed the bills to send the bills (i.e. $$$) and to give the government permission to "print" more money.
It's my belief that this is the first of many payments to attempt to provide a tiny cushion to the economy to soften the blow and attempt to prevent the continued downward pressures from the economy for being even worse. At a micro (individual) level, I could see why this is a pittance. It might cover utilities (electric/water/internet/cell phone) for a quarter or a portion of a month's rent. At a macro level, the 1,200 x 100,000,000 people is $120 billion potential for additional money moving through the economy (just to work in nice, round numbers). 

There’s about 200 million adults in the US. So let’s be generous and give $1200 dollars to every single one of them, so about $240 billion. That’s even a pittance at the macro level. That’s about 1% of GDP and less than what the federal government spends on interest payments each year. It’s about 20x less than (or 5% of) the Fed operated loan program for corporations approved by the CARES Act. Running those individual payments every month, which would actually be fairly helpful at the micro level, would only amount to about $3 trillion, still less than the existing corporate loan program.
  • Like 4

The city is much quieter with greatly reduced traffic volume, except for the nearly constant buzz of motorcycle-jackassery on South blvd. Its been nearly constant since about 2pm today.

I am getting ready to go use a large portion of my tranquilizer dart supply on these dudes.

#GetOffMyLawn

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 4

May I say once again it's driving a severe shortage of the drug for people with lupus for which it's been used a long time. There are studies going on let them play out. Many other compounds are being tested. I can only see it used for compassionate use in rare cases. 

BTW, you suppose the GOP guys would tell people to use THC if there were some anecdotal evidence of effectiveness? No, they would rather let them die - guarantee it. It's just "look squirrel" bs to take people's eye off the admins inability to lead during this crisis.

Who do you suppose the drug comes from and goes to in a scarcity situation? Promise you minority females will lose access. While entitled whites get it instead not even knowing whether it works. That's how American health care works.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/for-fox-news-hosts-the-hydroxychloroquine-controversy-is-fuel-for-the-culture-war/2020/04/10/0ec604d6-79a4-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html

When your on the side of Tuck and Shawn your almost sure to be wrong. ;-)

It' hard but guess I'll give up on this topic. 

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

The Independent: US governor sues lawmakers after ban on religious gatherings overturned.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/easter-us-religious-gatherings-ban-lockdown-kansas-a9460241.html

Have you ever driven through Kansas? When we lived in Denver we did several times. The billboards are stomach churning. 

Strange group of people.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

VIRGINIA PASTOR DIES FROM CORONAVIRUS AFTER PREVIOUSLY SAYING 'MEDIA IS PUMPING OUT FEAR' ABOUT PANDEMIC

https://www.newsweek.com/virginia-pastor-dies-coronavirus-after-previously-saying-media-pumping-out-fear-about-pandemic-1494702

As my late dad was fond of saying "I bet that fixed his wagon".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

The Hill: French officials report heart incidents in experimental coronavirus treatments with hydroxychloroquine | TheHill.
https://thehill.com/policy/international/europe/492317-french-officials-report-heart-incidents-in-experimental

First, your previous comment insinuating that you wish Falwell would die of COVID is not just mean as you said, it is disgusting.  You’ve always seemed to hold some contemptuous and even outright bigoted viewpoints against those who don’t hold to what I presume to be your atheistic/agnostic worldview, but nothing takes the cake quite like openly wishing someone with whom your worldview does not align would die of a horrible disease.  I mean, you may consider those of us who have religious viewpoints to be subhuman, but realize that you are now openly wishing for someone who has a wife, kids, family, and friends to die. 

Secondly, you and a couple of other posters here seem to be actively wishing for the failure of hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment for COVID; I imagine that you are doing so only because Trump has touted it as a possible treatment.  And you are reflexively opposed to anything Trump says or does, so it must fail, otherwise you might have to admit that the guy was right about something-heaven forbid. 

Just so you know,  the president might be onto something.  An international survey of thousands of physicians has rated Hydroxychloroquine as the most effective drug in the fight against COVID and the drug is entering an actual clinical trial at NIH-hardly something that would happen if the drug had no efficacy in treating the disease whatsoever.  In fact, according to the Division director of Lung Diseases hydroxychloroquine  “has showed promise in a lab setting against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and preliminary reports suggest potential efficacy in small studies with patients.”  

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-trial-hydroxychloroquine-potential-therapy-covid-19-begins

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN21R2OM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/2/hydroxychloroquine-rated-most-effective-therapy-do/

So despite the utter disdain for the President, he might be a little more informed and have a little more intel on the potential efficacy of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment than you or your favored news sources.  

Lastly, so you are aware, heart problems associated with hydroxychloroquine are known to be a potential side effect of the drug so your article from the hill really provided nothing beyond what was already known.  

I guess time and perhaps this new clinical trial will prove the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine or the lack of effectiveness.  However you should just keep hoping that the drug is proven ineffective.  That satisfaction you get from being  proven right and Trump being proven wrong I’m sure will be of great use and comfort to those who are stricken with this dreadful disease or those who may lose a loved one because of it.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, reggie4417 said:

As my late dad was fond of saying "I bet that fixed his wagon".

What a callous comment.

I’m sure his daughter who wasn’t even allowed to say goodbye to him feels the same way about the situation as you do...

From the story: 
“Spradlin's daughter Judah Strickland has described her heartache that she wasn't able to say goodbye to her father at the hospital in Concord, North Carolina, because she was restricted from seeing him.”

Fallwell is garbage IMHO. But I don't actually wish anyone would die. It was tongue in cheek. Sorry I forgot the smile gif. 

Of course I don't personally wish for a drug to fail scientific trials. Having the president telling people to take an untested drug is dumb though.  You won't be able to tell if it works without proper trials. He's simply dangerous in this moment and he's proved that over and over again.  I know some disagree with the need for scientific trials because of the urgency. It's perfectly  understandable that a Dr try most anything if he thinks the patient is going to die. In other words "Compassionate use" is fine. Regarding heart conditions yes I know that's been known a long time. The problem is that covid 19 is also believed to damage the heart. Creating a double whammy if you will.

Your basically making crap up about what people think. I haven't seen a single post hoping any drug trial will fail. 

Calm down.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

What a callous comment.

I’m sure his daughter who wasn’t even allowed to say goodbye to him feels the same way about the situation as you do...

From the story: 
“Spradlin's daughter Judah Strickland has described her heartache that she wasn't able to say goodbye to her father at the hospital in Concord, North Carolina, because she was restricted from seeing him.”

Maybe this should be a lesson to trust officials at the CDC and NIAID, rather than going to Mardi Gras. There were warnings about this and the pastor was reckless in his actions and put his family and congregation in fatal danger. I have very little sympathy towards selfish behavior. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Fallwell is garbage IMHO. But I don't actually wish anyone would die. It was tongue in cheek. Sorry I forgot the smile gif. 

Of course I don't personally wish for a drug to fail scientific trials. Having the president telling people to take an untested drug is dumb though.  You won't be able to tell if it works without proper trials. He's simply dangerous in this moment and he's proved that over and over again.  I know some disagree with the need for scientific trials because of the urgency. It's perfectly  understandable that a Dr will they most anything if he thinks someone is going to die. In other words "Compassionate use" is fine. Regarding heart conditions yes I know that's been known a long time. The problem is that covid 19 is also believed to damage the heart. Creating a double whammy if you will.

Your basically making crap up about what people think. I haven't seen a single post hoping any drug trial will fail. 

Calm down.

You’re the one making “jokes” that you wish someone would die, assuming that tongue-in-cheek comments of that sort are ok and I’m the one who needs to calm down?  

Regarding Trump’s touting of hydroxychloroquine, I have not seen one presser where he has advised anyone they should take the drug.  
If you show me where I’m wrong I will bow out.

He has spoke in generalities saying the drug could be a game changer and maybe you can argue that he has been too cavalier in his advocacy of it, but ultimately the decision to prescribe it rests with a doctor or other provider who has the necessary scientific and medical expertise to cut through the crap, weigh the risks, and make the appropriate decision.  I think this notion that the president is being dangerous in his advocacy of hydroxychloroquine is drastically overstated, especially since thousands of Physicians are saying that they have had success with the drug and small studies have also shown some success.  Again it wouldn’t be going to a clinical trial at NIH if it didn’t show promise, and I think the presidents comments about hydroxychloroquine , at least the ones I’ve heard, have been in the vein of general optimism more so than a vein of ”uncredentialed” medical advice.  Again, though, if you can prove me wrong I will bow out.

• Like 2

Just now, cltbwimob said:

You’re the one making “jokes” that you wish someone would die, assuming that tongue-in-cheek comments of that sort are ok and I’m the one who needs to calm down?  

Regarding Trump’s touting of hydroxychloroquine, I have not seen one presser where he has advised anyone they should take the drug.  
If you show me where I’m wrong I will bow out.

He has spoke in generalities saying the drug could be a game changer and maybe you can argue that he has been too cavalier in his advocacy of it, but ultimately the decision to prescribe it rests with a doctor or other provider who has the necessary scientific and medical expertise to cut through the crap, weigh the risks, and make the appropriate decision.  I think this notion that the president is being dangerous in his advocacy of hydroxychloroquine is drastically overstated, especially since thousands of Physicians are saying that they have had success with the drug and small studies have also shown some success.  Again it wouldn’t be going to a clinical trial at NIH if it didn’t show promise, and I think the presidents comments about hydroxychloroquine , at least the ones I’ve heard, have been in the vein of general optimism more so than a vein of ”uncredentialed” medical advice.  Again, though, if you can prove me wrong I will bow out.

Huh?? He's been saying for weeks now "try it what do you have to lose". Virtually everyone one of his covid "status" meetings mentions this. Those meetings are full of falsehoods and whatever revisionist history Fox made up for him - basically propoganda.. I'll try and find you a video tomorrow unless you're one of those people that'll say he was misinterpreted, the video edited, etc. This is really all about setting up a culture war so people look away from the very poor Federal response and their refusal to cover all their associated medical bills. Maybe economic relief will turn out to be somewhat of a success though and that's certainly a win for the average American.

Yes, you're the one who needs to calm. No one called you out personally yet you swoop in and starting doing that to the folks who've contributed a lot to this thread. If you want to keep yelling at people though, whatever....

This issue is a pet peeve of mine which I've been following closely.  Since we all know poor people will lose access to their lupus drug (either via price gouging or inventory issues). Then the entitled can take it just in case it helps. 

If he's so sure it's going to help he must've ordered millions of tabs using the dpca? How about getting all the tests and ppe we've needed since January! He won't take any responsibility since it's clear his goal in all this is to position governors, senators, house as the fall guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1