Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

So the ARB gushes over the architecture of the new SED plan after gutting the original plan and making it look as  generic as possible? Simply amazing how there was absolutely no push back. Orlando will always be a $hit town as long as we have these hacks in office. Tell me they are not either stupid, blind or in bed with BB architects. 

2 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

So the ARB gushes over the architecture of the new SED plan after gutting the original plan and making it look as  generic as possible? Simply amazing how there was absolutely no push back. Orlando will always be a $hit town as long as we have these hacks in office. Tell me they are not either stupid, blind or in bed with BB architects. 

11 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Or maybe they just know that the people in Orlando have somewhat conservative tastes in things like design and architecture.

Or... that most Orlandoans don't really even care that much. 

The latest proposal may not look all artsy-fartsy or avant garde, but it's not the most horrible looking thing I've ever seen either.

I'm curious as to some examples of buildings in other cities, whether sports entertainment venues or not, that some other UP'ers here feel are similar in style to what they'd have preferred.

As I said, just curious. 

13 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Or they realize that if they say no, it'll be another 20 years before anything gets built. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gibby said:

Is the ARB report available on line?

Yes. I downloaded it yesterday. Not much different than what was in recent articles, but there are board comments on the design. 

As for BB, to be fair to them, they can't help it at times that the owner/market dictates that everything needs to be "Value-Engineered" to succeed in this market. Their designs are often bland, but that's often what is dictated to them. The Edge/CSP II is actually a decent looking design and I hope to see that one go up soon. The S+ED is kinda a cheaped out/cookie cutter copy of the "Live" complexes around the country (LA, Philly, DC), and that's about what we are going to get in O-town. Could the design be more inspired, of course, but I wouldn't put all of the blame on the architect in this instance. 

• Like 1

I would prefer the green space to the west be an open plaza with food trucks on the weekends. A design like below would be nice, minus when the homeless starts laying around in the area. I hope they do a better job of screening the parking garage and making it a nice design. Most of the parking garages downtown are bland.... The parking garage could include some tv screen on the plaza side for watching games or doing art displays during none Magic games. 

Neuchatel-night-2-1900x1270-1.jpg

santa-monica-parking-channel-glass-facade-1-680x460.jpg

Edited by tc01
  • Like 3

On 12/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, JFW657 said:

Or maybe they just know that the people in Orlando have somewhat conservative tastes in things like design and architecture.

Or... that most Orlandoans don't really even care that much. 

The latest proposal may not look all artsy-fartsy or avant garde, but it's not the most horrible looking thing I've ever seen either.

I'm curious as to some examples of buildings in other cities, whether sports entertainment venues or not, that some other UP'ers here feel are similar in style to what they'd have preferred.

As I said, just curious. 

Oh, I'd be happy to oblige your request...in the very near future...been busy at work as of late...

On 12/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, orlandocity87 said:

I'm glad to see that there's an expansion plan for the two green areas (a 16-story residential tower with 6 levels of parking and a 20-story residential tower with 5 levels of parking). 

image.thumb.png.278d6bc81b8f785f2a84e97241266e80.png

Very... Orlando.

On 12/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, orlandocity87 said:

I'm glad to see that there's an expansion plan for the two green areas (a 16-story residential tower with 6 levels of parking and a 20-story residential tower with 5 levels of parking). 

image.thumb.png.278d6bc81b8f785f2a84e97241266e80.png

this looks like a marriage between Radius and Society...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...