Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

32 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I am not believing a damn thing until I see a yellow, orange, or light green vest on site with a bunch of people

If you see them and go to check it out, then someone wants you to discuss a “great business opportunity” but won’t tell you what it’s called….RUN!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:40 PM, AmIReal said:

No porta potty on site yet, but the Magic say they are starting the MEC in early '23 with plans for completion in '25.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/08/31/orlando-magic-sports-entertainment-district-florid.html

I'm an optimist by nature, but I am highly skeptical about this, and with good reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim3167 said:

Wasn’t there a rumor on here about the potential of the Wilf’s joining in on the project? Pretty deep pockets that could make it happen immediately no?

It would certainly make a difference. However, Mark Wilf was on with Marc Daniels and Bianchi this morning and Wilf seemed to be more into making Orlando City (and the Pride) consistently competitive before moving on to facilities and other stuff. That seems to be working, so it may happen but may take a while.

Wilfs are focused on the Training facility first also. Supposedly they are going to upgrade the complex in Kissimmee and make the old baseball stadium a better fit for soccer. They bought the church property just so they can have a space adjacent to the stadium for tailgating.  They are all about ROI for their funds. The tailgating thing is a genius move because there was pent-up demand for it from the old days playing at CWS.  They are somewhat limit in amount, but also a money maker for the team. They are chargin $40 for an official parking spot and they also are tying it to Season Ticket holders (they get first dibs for limited spots) so that it incentivizes being a season ticket holder.  Smart moves that help rebuild the culture as well as provide financial incentives.  I doubt that OrlandoCitySC will be developing that property any time soon. They are content what what they have right now until they build back up the team and the fan culture/base for more revenue. 

Eventually, they may develop some around the stadium or with the DeVos' (they name dropped them on Bianchi this morning, eww :tw_confused:), but they are all about ROI, so they are working on those things and the low-hanging fruit first. For little investment, they can generate some revenue and build up ST holders and ticket sales. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

do we even know who the development partner is?  didn't they announce something a few months back?

They appear to be looking for a new partner- "The team is expected to bring on a new development partner for the 8.4-acre project, which will impact the timing and schedule.", "The team and development partner may need to reassess the plans in light of other projects announced in the last year."

On the bright side, "Sports and entertainment districts have fared well post-pandemic compared to other central business districts."

All quotes per GS https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-orlando-magic-sed-update-20220901-orjtoy5yuvgefldledtu4eqvsq-story.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

On today's edition of "I'll believe it when I see it..."

Orlando Magic to break ground soon — really — on $500M sports, entertainment complex, team execs say

Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/03/12/florida-magic-sports-entertainment-district.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, orange87 said:

On today's edition of "I'll believe it when I see it..."

Orlando Magic to break ground soon — really — on $500M sports, entertainment complex, team execs say

Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/03/12/florida-magic-sports-entertainment-district.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Man, where is Spenser to chime in on this bit of "news?"

On 3/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, codypet said:

Which comes first?  Them building this or Magic winning a NBA title?

the Magic are not a serious franchise, and I think that has spilled over to their investment division.  unless they have a commitment from a hotel developer and/or partner to develop the land with financing in place, they will never get anything built.  That training center would not have gotten built without a partner (Advent), and I'm surprised they were even able to get that partnership.  But Advent is big money, and it's a different ball game as we all know when trying to build non-medical related developments.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another article from yimby on how groundbreaking could be soon. I may be delusional but I’m feeling a glimmer of hope here with the all star game bid in play as well.

https://floridayimby.com/2023/05/orlandos-8-4-acre-sports-and-entertainment-district-set-to-break-ground-soon.html

Is this rendering newer and different?

If this and the Edge were to both somehow start this fall it would make for a very active area.

IMG_0502.jpeg

Edited by Tim3167
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

Another article from yimby on how groundbreaking could be soon. I may be delusional but I’m feeling a glimmer of hope here with the all star game bid in play as well.

https://floridayimby.com/2023/05/orlandos-8-4-acre-sports-and-entertainment-district-set-to-break-ground-soon.html

If this and the Edge were to both somehow start this fall it would make for a very active area.

IMG_0502.jpeg

I've never seen that rendering. It may be new. The office building fronting Division looks different.  The apartment tower fronting Central- that's the first rendering I've ever seen of it.

True about Edge.

And it looks like they swapped hotel and office locations.  

Edited by jrs2

I hope construction begins soon. This would be huge for downtown and for the Magic. I know the Under-I project has mostly changed to parking now but hopefully the part that is still a park is close to the arena and therefore will create a continuous event space for people to gather, especially if we get awarded the NBA All-Star Game in a couple years.

50 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I hope construction begins soon. This would be huge for downtown and for the Magic. I know the Under-I project has mostly changed to parking now but hopefully the part that is still a park is close to the arena and therefore will create a continuous event space for people to gather, especially if we get awarded the NBA All-Star Game in a couple years.

At the rate things take to get built here, they would have needed to have already broken ground...

On 5/27/2023 at 10:25 AM, Tim3167 said:

IMG_0502.jpeg

Those buildings look so "Orlando".

Boring, uninspired, generic and bland.

Suburban office park.

The architectural equivalent of a plaid shirt. 

plaidshirt.jpg 

Yeah, not the most inspiring but at this point much better than a fenced in parking lot. This has gone on so long that expectations are pretty low and easy to exceed. If it happens just adding to the dynamic on the street will be nice.

• Like 2