In the news, that is. 

Redesigned again. 

And a developer has been selected.

Groundbreaking by the end of 2024.  

Let's all start holding our breath now. 

Screenshot-20231016-212807.jpg

Screenshot-20231016-212902.jpg

Screenshot-20231016-212945.jpgmagic-2023-rendering-2*900xx1920-1080-0-

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/10/16/florida-nba-orlando-magic-sports-developer.html

let me start by saying...phenomenal job at "ripping" that web page into an image and posting it here.  As for the news...I don't want to be a Negative Nancy yet again...so I'll abstain for now 'till I think of something witty to say...

2 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

The only developer doing anything remotely interesting in Orlando is Tavistock and they aren’t touching downtown.

that 5 story building in Medical City that is all glass, curved corners, with white LED/neon highlights...I'd love to see that at Pine & Orange or anywhere in DTO, even in front of DPAC where the cylinder was.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I am so over this F*ckn town. This bozo mayor does nothing while Alex Martins and the Devos' pull this crap. After a dirt lot sits empty for YEARS...we now get a parking garage, a half a$$ed suburban office building cut in half and a fat @ss wall of china part2 (copy of society x) with a vizor. That hideous wide monstrosity will kill any "views" we had from Exploria when the tv cameras pan towards SunTrust. Under-I Park is now back to parking, the Lightning get a 3.5b development and we get this???? This town is such a crap show and this incompetent red neck Gomer Pile wanna-be of a Mayor is the ring leader. 

PRIME real-estate in DTO becomes this, meanwhile Miami has 2-3 1000' buildings going up designed by real architect firms...

Yeah, that stuff in Miami is wonderful...Waldorf, the Sheraton/Knight Center redo...can't wait...  I hope the Brightline "connectivity" to Miami will somehow influence developers to migrate to DTO from Dade

Ditto on the razing of that garage and displacement of those businesses.   At least when they did that in Chicago, they built major buildings in their stead.

I wonder whether that tall Society-looking building is geared to avert downtown's "eyes" from Parramore just beyond... originally, it was facing the Fed Cthse along Central.

I actually like the original design a lot better that the updated rendering. Really hope the final deign looks better. Why would they remove the middle building and have it as a stand along parking garage?!!  I’m sure they will add a ground level store. 

IMG_5874.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando-magic-provide-spark-downtown-development-slows/EWP73LV4BJENJEKU3OLSABUBQY/%3foutputType=amp

• Like 2

If I had to guess since there was a residential, and office, and a hotel component, the residential stayed while the office was scaled back and the hotel was eliminated altogether.  

I would like to know who WFTV interviewed that said the number one problem with downtown is not enough public art.  I want what they're smoking.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I fear that unless commercial rates are reasonably priced or subsidized in MEC, we can probably expect the ground floor retail space to remain vacant (just like the other ground floor units along W Church St/Division Ave). 😩

Or the units in the garage that existed before they knocked it down.  IIRC they used that stretch of retail there as a minority business incubator.

Sidenote its not limited to W Church/Division.  Look at W Church between Garland and the RxR tracks.  Only Hamburger Mary's operates there. 

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

There is going to be a food hall there eventually that should drive a little more traffic with the gravity there and CSPII. Not sure if they are planning on building out the food hall prior to CSPII or concurrently with it. 

originally, they were going to incorporate a FOX Sports or CBS Sports telecasting booth within.  Did you mean ESPN?  And if so, did they do a deal with ESPN to have a broadcasting booth there?

On 10/18/2023 at 11:28 PM, Ivanhoe said:

Residential at this location doesn’t really make sense. Who would want to live there?

I’d normally agree but then again people pay top dollar to rent steps away from the rail line and with stoops stepping down to the bus station.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 11:28 PM, Ivanhoe said:

Residential at this location doesn’t really make sense. Who would want to live there?

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I’d normally agree but then again people pay top dollar to rent steps away from the rail line and with stoops stepping down to the bus station.  

I could envision some Magic players buying there.

Certainly a short commute to work.

Maybe some enthusiastic fans with enough money. 

• 4 weeks later...

The development team behind the Orlando Magic's Orlando Sports + Entertainment District has unveiled new details on the project.

San Francisco-based JMA Ventures LLC and Houston-based Machete Group are working with the Magic's SED Development LLC on what will be a 900,000-square-foot mixed-use project. The project will be developed adjacent Amway Center's north entrance on an 8.5-acre block in downtown Orlando.

“We’re creating a place that will be active and inviting every day of the year, not just on event days,” David Carlock, founder and principal of Machete Group, said in a press release.

The development team released new renderings and other details. Included in the mix of development will be:

• A 260-guest room "lifestyle hotel" that will have an outdoor lounge and pool deck, along with 16,000 square feet of meeting space and a "chef-driven" restaurant concept.
  • Above the hotel will be 270 apartments, which will have access to the hotel amenities. 
  • A 3,500-capacity music venue will be able to host concerts and other shows, with the ability to be configured for "galas, product launches and other private events." The venue will accommodate up to 1,000 people in a banquet setup. 
  • More than 200,000 square feet of Class A office space, of which 30% already is pre-leased. The building will have a 17,000-square-foot "rooftop amenity" with a glass-enclosed jewel box event space totaling 6,000 square feet. 
  • Roughly 100,000 square feet of retail space, with a focus on dining and entertainment concepts new to both downtown and Orlando as a whole. 
  • A 1.5-acre "urban living room" that would serve as flexible green space for events.
  • 1,140 spaces of on-site parking. 
Orlando Sports + Entertainment District Facilities Map Nov 2023

A map of the amenities in the 900,000-square-foot Orlando Sports + Entertainment District.

JMA Ventures LLC

Previously, team officials said the project aims to break ground by the end of 2024 and have 2.5 years of construction — potentially placing its debut sometime in 2026. Dan Nesson of True North Real Estate is handling retail leasing at the project, while Alex Rosario of Foundry Commercial is handling office leasing.

Representatives with the development team were not immediately available for comment. It is not yet clear if the price tag for the project is still $500 million.

The complex has been compared to other projects such as L.A. Live across the street from the Staples Center — the home of the NBA's LA Lakers and LA Clippers. Experts previously said ancillary real estate is a successful revenue for sports teams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, codypet said:

This gives me Pointe Orlando Vibes.   I just feel like this is gonna be mostly empty.

That’s what these are like in other cities when there is no event.  KC Live? More like KC Dead and thats with a convention center also within walking distance