Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

15 minutes ago, Armacing said:

Why do people keep saying this?  Does every part of downtown need to look like a sanitized suburban office park like Maryland Farms?  It's legacy industrial installations like PSC Metals, fuel terminals, tobacco factories, and railroad yards that give downtown its gritty, urban, historical, cultural depth.

I do see your point but huge oil or gas storage tanks do not contribute to cultural depth, they're necessary without a doubt but they're inherently ugly and an eyesore and I don't think any downtown area should be decorated with them.  I think most if not all big cities have an industrial area where such things are housed.  I personally don't have any nostalgic feelings when viewing old factories, warehouses and the like and I personally feel that the downtown of a city is where you would want to showcase your most attractive architecture.  Many of the older office buildings in places like New York have important historical icons such as The Flatiron Building or the Chrysler Building and these are the sorts of places we need to preserve and display, not the factories or the sewer treatment plants!

• Like 4

Epiphany, an interior design shop on 8th Avenue S across from Carter Vintage Guitars, has a 'Moving Sale' sign in the window, another sign that the triangle of six properties there (not yet given a name on UP) is moving toward consolidation and eventual development.  The antique mall next door closed on May 31.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

Why do people keep saying this?  Does every part of downtown need to look like a sanitized suburban office park like Maryland Farms?  It's legacy industrial installations like PSC Metals, fuel terminals, tobacco factories, and railroad yards that give downtown its gritty, urban, historical, cultural depth.

I agree with you. The industrial gives you a unique grittyness that is sort of cool.

• Like 3

Massive international real estate company, Thor Equities, is under contract to buy the Cannery Row complex tat sits on 2.8 acres at the corner of Cannery Row and 8th Ave. South.  The complex features 3 popular music venues : Cannery Ballroom, The High Watt, and Mercy Lounge.  The structures date back to as old as 1880.  Hopefully all of this will be preserved and made even better.

"We have a long-term lease in place and nothing will change on our end," said Todd Ohlhuaser, owner of Mercy Lounge and its sister companies. "Mercy Lounge, The High Watt, Cannery Ballroom and One Event Space will remain open for many years to come."

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/06/20/exclusive-global-investor-strikes-deal-for.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 12.16.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 12.18.01 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Buffalo Trails Apts. to finally get underway at 3711 Dickerson Pike. The $45 million complex will entail 240 affordable housing units on 18.2 acres.  A tree removal permit was granted today. No renderings yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21074267/new-images-released-for-sobro-tower

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at upper center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 12.31.56 PM.png

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I don't think anyone, including myself,  is calling for sanitized suburbia.  However...junk lots like PSC and huge gas tanks aren't exactly what I would call industrial installations that add to a downtown (of course, that's subjective)...nor huge truck stops.  I love industrial re-use like the Neuhoff plant...Marathon Motorworks...any old smoke stacks...tobacco factories (to an extent)...and railroad yards are cool, as long as it doesn't take up too wide of a swath of land.  Again...it's all subjective...but I still would like to see something else take the place of PSC and the gas tanks (though as Ron said...the tanks probably aren't going anywhere).

^What she said.

40 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I don't think anyone, including myself,  is calling for sanitized suburbia.  However...junk lots like PSC and huge gas tanks aren't exactly what I would call industrial installations that add to a downtown (of course, that's subjective)...nor huge truck stops.  I love industrial re-use like the Neuhoff plant...Marathon Motorworks...any old smoke stacks...tobacco factories (to an extent)...and railroad yards are cool, as long as it doesn't take up too wide of a swath of land.  Again...it's all subjective...but I still would like to see something else take the place of PSC and the gas tanks (though as Ron said...the tanks probably aren't going anywhere).

The big gas tanks aren't so bad if we can get rid of the TA truck stop. Seems like a reasonable compromise. 

• Like 1

Dvvid Crabtree, who has done a fair amount of investment/development on the Buchanan Street corridor, has purchased 4 more lots at 901 Buchanan and 1707, 1709, and 1711 9th Ave. North, all just 1/2 block east of Slim & Husky's Pizza.  No word on his intentions yet. 3 of the lots are empty. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21074303/investor-seemingly-buys-again-on-buchanan-street

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map show the 901 Buchanan property in teal triangular plot at the center of the frame notated as Polygon 341.  The 9th Ave. sites are directly to the south on the other side of Delta Ave:

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.05.03 PM.png

• Thanks 1

You have to remember those guys were there first and until the land prices rise in order to make in worth their while to move they probably will not be going any where. Thats why PSC is still there and the clean up will be exspensive as well, because all of that industrial land is considered to be brownfields.

Jay, I think was one of the new folks at the meet Saturday, had a diagram of all the gasoline piplines that are alreadly in place and those will not go anywhere either. Sorry if I got your name wrong.

They just finished a gasoline pipeline into the center that is closest to Briley parkway. That pipeline runs under Ashland City Hwy and Clarksville Pike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Holiday Inn Express Metro Center (6 stories, 110 rooms) update.  Brickwork and cladding underway.

Looking SE from Clay St., 1/2 block west of 3rd Ave. North:

Holiday Inn Select, Metro Center, June 8, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking south from intersection of 3rd Ave. North and Clay St:

Holiday Inn Select, Metro Center, June 8, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking NW from 3rd Ave. North where it crosses over I-65/40 inner belt:

Holiday Inn Select, Metro Center, June 8, 2019, 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic editorial!!! Any mayoral candidate adopting this approach could do well. 

I'm also hearing that many tenants in 222 are decidedly unhappy with the constant city caused/allowed inconveniences.  It was a lot easier being on the edge of the CBD rather than in the heart of it.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

^^Yeah...he have a bit of the "wild west" going on downtown.   The last thing we want is for that area to turn into Panama City Beach on Spring Break, where traffic is at a standstill 24/7and locals want to be anywhere but their hometown.  

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3