Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 minute ago, TNinVB said:

I thought the Listening Room was on 4th? 

Just trying to get an idea of where you are talking about. 

He is referring to the old location that is the remainder of the block with The SoBro (2nd to 3rd fronting Molloy St)

Ragland (aka Michael Hayes), the same people who put up 222 (the "zebra building") are mulling a new "tower" for the Listening Room site; Scant on details from the Tennessean ... http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20978138/tower-eyed-for-exlistening-room-site-in-sobro

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

You can go twice that height there. Maybe a little taller. 

A perfect location for a tower and given the shape of the lot, could be interesting.

As far as the look of the 222 tower, Hines was driving the train using the same old crappy Nashville architects that know not how to push the envelope farther that a glass box.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

You can go twice that height there. Maybe a little taller. 

A perfect location for a tower and given the shape of the lot, could be interesting.

As far as the look of the 222 tower, Hines was driving the train using the same old crappy Nashville architects that know not how to push the envelope farther that a glass box.

Architects are unfortunately only as creative as the client's budget will allow. Few clients see the need to spend one penny more than necessary.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

This is kind of random but what does everyone think the likelihood is of nashville having a new tallest building announced by 2020? I strongly believe something will at least be announced by 2020 but that is my opinion. If this question is too random for this sub thread than I apologize and everyone should just ignore this question then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

This is kind of random but what does everyone think the likelihood is of nashville having a new tallest building announced by 2020? I strongly believe something will at least be announced by 2020 but that is my opinion. If this question is too random for this sub thread than I apologize and everyone should just ignore this question then.

I think there is a strong case for it and it would be no taller than 750'. My guess is an announcement by 2019, unless the economy craps out.

• Like 4

I'd be happy with 750' especially if built in the right location. Look how prominent 505 looks. Wasn't the original proposal for Signature tower 750'? I'm not referring to the very first proposal that looked totally different from the design most are familiar with, with the crown. 

I mean look how tall the JW looks and it's not even finished yet.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎03 at 12:26 PM, CenterHill said:

Except that it incorporates the "complete street" design, with separate designated pedestrian and bicycle lanes, benches and landscaping.     It was intentionally designed for multimodal use, so to then obstruct the views from the bridge seems like a major design screw up.

1 hour ago, AronG said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

C'mon, dudes. This is a four-lane roadway that is projected to get 14,000 to 16,000 vehicles per day. I get that the bridge provides the opportunity for pedestrians to take in some nice views but user safety takes precedence over that. Engineers get charged with protecting the welfare of the public and not getting splattered is higher on the welfare totem pole than being able to see the skyline.

In any case I will grant you guys that it's just as likely this was an oversight as it was an intentional design choice, sort of the Hanlon's razor of the built environment.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Ragland (aka Michael Hayes), the same people who put up 222 (the "zebra building") are mulling a new "tower" for the Listening Room site; Scant on details from the Tennessean ... http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20978138/tower-eyed-for-exlistening-room-site-in-sobro

From the article, 

"The project would include the straightening of Molloy Street, as consistent with Metro’s long-terms plans for SoBro infrastructure, between Second and Third avenues."

Metro's long term plans, as I recall, included straightening and realigning a number of streets in the fragmented SoBro grid.   Those plans predated much of the private development that has already occurred or is underway, so the time to "fix the grid" is pretty much lost.    I'm not objecting to it, I just find it curious that this one block stretch of Molloy got singled out for realignment when others (Peabody, Lea, etc) were not.     Perhaps because the same property owner owns both sides of the street and agreed to the deal.    

Also from the article, 

"We  hope to have details to share about the project within the next 60 days,” Hayes said."

We await!   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

From the article, 

"The project would include the straightening of Molloy Street, as consistent with Metro’s long-terms plans for SoBro infrastructure, between Second and Third avenues."

Metro's long term plans, as I recall, included straightening and realigning a number of streets in the fragmented SoBro grid.   Those plans predated much of the private development that has already occurred or is underway, so the time to "fix the grid" is pretty much lost.    I'm not objecting to it, I just find it curious that this one block stretch of Molloy got singled out for realignment when others (Peabody, Lea, etc) were not.     Perhaps because the same property owner owns both sides of the street and agreed to the deal.    

Also from the article, 

"We  hope to have details to share about the project within the next 60 days,” Hayes said."

We await!   

I hope the design of whatever they're going to build is at least a little more...umm...better. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah whatever happened with connecting 3rd Ave S back to Lafayette? Just given up on for a storage unit building, sigh. 

There's still the potential to connect 3rd Ave S (Lindsley) with Lafayette as the property next to the storage facility that's being built is up for sale. My concern is the powers that oversee such things don't really care enough to be motivated to jump into action. Street grid improvements like this are critical as it only becomes more apparent how important it was as the decades pass. Look at green hills.

They could buy the property on 3rd/Lafayette (2 acres), improve the street grid connecting  Lindsley with Lafayette, use leftover land for the light rail stop entering downtown, and create a cool little park as this is where the Division St Extension ends and will be highly visible. Probably a pipe dream but would be really great.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah whatever happened with connecting 3rd Ave S back to Lafayette? Just given up on for a storage unit building, sigh. 

My guess is that will not happen and I do not think it was ever in the cards. There is more of an effort to connect Ash better. Third is just too close to Fourth Ave on Lafayette to properly connect as they would need another traffic signal and that intersection would be a Charlie Foxtrot if they did. More than it is now.

• Like 3

It's in the master plan I was looking at the other day, so I was just wondering. 

I just assumed the worst and figured the developer either just didn't do it or paid someone off, ha. 

I think the biggest improvement they could do to the roads in that area is making 2nd and 4th two-way.  But that seems super unlikely to happen. 

Here's the plan and page I was looking at.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 7.56.54 AM.png

SoBroMasterPlanFinal.pdf

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 2